Jaguar returning to flight?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Abbo46

Jaguar returning to flight?

Post by Abbo46 »

Believed to be the aircraft that arrived at North Weald on Friday. Would be bloody immense if true. :shock:

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/jamhaulage/photos/a.133304600157094/1143221965832014/?type=3&theater[/fb-post]

MiG_Eater

Re: Jaguar returning to flight?

Post by MiG_Eater »

Wow. Can you imagine!?

kinglear27

Post by kinglear27 »

Quick search on Facebook suggests that XX841 is one of the most complete Jaguars ever sold by the MoD into private hands, so it seems like a good candiate for a return to flight. Pictures also suggest that it has been stored inside prior to its move to North Weald, so fingers crossed this project becomes reality! Good luck to those involved. :smile:
Last edited by kinglear27 on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BDL

Post by BDL »

I was told that they are aiming to have her "moving" in about twelve months.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Hasn't Dr. Robert Pleming contacted them already to move it to the great idea at Doncaster?

Right, off to do some important things today and leave UKAR for what it is until tomorrow or later....
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

aviodromefriend wrote:Hasn't Dr. Robert Pleming contacted them already to move it to the great idea at Doncaster?

:tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :roll:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

I'm not seeing anything on that Facebook link, it's saying the post has been removed.

Although I'd love to see a Jaguar fly again, I can't see the CAA allowing a complex supersonic aircraft to be operated here. With the decline in classic jets, who would have the expense to operate the aircraft aswell?

Just seems a little unrealistic in this day and age. I'd love to be wrong though.

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Seems the post has been removed. :sad:

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

CAA allowing a jet with after burners to fly in private hands - more likely one of these, Sus scrofa domesticus.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

Has there been any official statement on this?

The FB post ( since removed ) was just made by the haulage company who delivered the airframe to its new location, wasn't it?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

It was first mentioned by one of the marshalls at North Weald in the JetFest thread. I saw it with my own eyes at the weekend and other people have uploaded photos on Flickr, so its presence and its identity can be confirmed if you care to look.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:It was first mentioned by one of the marshalls at North Weald in the JetFest thread. I saw it with my own eyes at the weekend and other people have uploaded photos on Flickr, so its presence and its identity can be confirmed if you care to look.

My question was whether the intention to return it to flight has been officially confirmed.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

iainpeden wrote:CAA allowing a jet with after burners to fly in private hands - more likely one of these, Sus scrofa domesticus.

This reply is a clue if I'm not mistaken? Better chance of "Et volant ante porcos" = 'Pigs will fly first!' :cuppa:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Everyone I spoke to at the weekend said that was the intention.

Smog Monster

Post by Smog Monster »

Good luck to them!

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

A few years ago, in France, there were some plans also to fly a "civilian" Jaguar.
A flyable 2-seat airframe was even identified.
A former Jaguar pilot I met (he was one of those who made the daring Ouadi-Doum raid) and who was member of the team, told me that the whole thing was cancelled, due to administrative barriers ...
I hope that it will work better on your side of the Channel !

flashman8

Post by flashman8 »

Re the afterburner issue.........

Cant they just modify the throttle gate to stop the throttle going into the afterburners.............. :smile:
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Smog Monster wrote:Good luck to them!

Absolutely. Be great to see a Jaguar again.

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

flashman8 wrote:Re the afterburner issue.........

Cant they just modify the throttle gate to stop the throttle going into the afterburners.............. :smile:

Then it would need a 20 mile runway, downhill at 45°, Earth's curvature and a hurricane force headwind to have any chance go getting airborne with min fuel.
Those engines were not called 'hand dryers' for nothing...
- Still, would love to see the return of a cat.
Canon systems

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

A few assumptions :

Assuming this is a “return to flight” and not a “return to flying condition” (so they can do fast taxying with it). Then the assumption seems to be that this for a U.K. operator needing CAA approval for an afterburner.

What if this was a “return to flight” for a foreign owner or a “return to flight” for someone like HHA for a commercial application ?

My money wouldn’t be on a return to flight in the U.K. by a civilian operator. Not sure what my money would be on though, probably a return to flying condition ( gives options - fast taxi, future sale abroad or to someone like HHA)
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

harkins

Post by harkins »

I really don't want to ask this as I'm sure it's amongst the most stupid question asked on these boards, but can an after-burning jet be restricted in some way? If it can't after-burn, would that allow it to fly as a non after-burning jet and thus perhaps allow it to meet CAA requirements?

I'm quite sure the answer is no, but sadly I don't have the knowledge about jet engines to know why the answer is probably no.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Reheat module's post, two above yours, pretty much answers your question.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

We've had civilian-owned and operated afterburning jets operating on these shores before with the SwAFHF. I don't think afterburners are the issue they're made out to be, provided the aircraft has a suitable safety record and can be maintained to the required standard.

harkins

Post by harkins »

cg_341 wrote:Reheat module's post, two above yours, pretty much answers your question.

It certainly does. The only thing worse than a stupid question, is asking a stupid question that has only just been answered already :facepalm:

CJS

Post by CJS »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:We've had civilian-owned and operated afterburning jets operating on these shores before with the SwAFHF. I don't think afterburners are the issue they're made out to be, provided the aircraft has a suitable safety record and can be maintained to the required standard.

The Swedes just flew to Scampton, parked and then flew home again didn't they? If AB was used for take off it would only have been over the runway. Has any civilian jet used AB in a display recently (ever?)?

I'm discounting any appearances in the Channel Islands or at seaside shows by the way.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"