How did you get into Planes?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Euan Buchan

How did you get into Planes?

Post by Euan Buchan »

I can't actually remember what age I was but was probably toddler age my Grandpa would take me plane watching and we watch planes land and take off I really loved it. I watched planes from late 80's to late 90's and lost interest in plane watching and during those years not plane watching I was still interested in planes would enjoy watching them fly past etc. It wasn't until last year November when my Grandpa died I wanted to visit the path he and I used to go and got the place watching bug cane back.
The Concorde Forum
A Site Dedicated For Concorde Fans
http://theconcordeforum.freeforums.net/

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Re: How did you get into Planes?

Post by jalfrezi »

Not sure I really remember myself - it was a long time ago! Like you, I think it was my Grandad, he served in the RAF just after the war as an electrical engineer working on Spitfires. Pretty sure I went to my first airshow with him, he also had a lot of aviation books that I used to read when I stayed over at my Grandparents.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I've been going to airshows since before I can remember. I didn't have a choice really!

Robin

Post by Robin »

I joined the RAF.
Per Ardua ad Astra

TigerMeet4Ever

Post by TigerMeet4Ever »

My uncle who served in the Belgian Air Force, took me to an airshow at Brustem - Sint-Truiden. It was the presentation of the General Dynamics F-16 to the Belgium public for the first time. But it was the Vulcan display that impressed me the most that day.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Phantoms over my grandpa's house in the mid 1980s and my granddad's ROC stories.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I grew up ten minutes away from the RAF Museum so I spent a lot of time there as a kid.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Family. Going to airshows at a young age. Being buzzed by a Hurricane at low-level. Watching films like 633 Squadron and Battle of Britain.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Watching loads of Spitfire's taking off from Le Touquet Airport in the '60s when they were filming the Battle of Britain. Being curious what a ME109 looked like as they were covered up so as not to offend the locals. Then a visit to the BBMF when they were at Coltishall.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

vtwo

Post by vtwo »

In 1988, I was 25 and my boss at the time said I had to take a week off work. I was scratching around trying to find things to do at the last minute and on the news came a report that an Antonov 124 had suffered an engine surge on take off at Farnborough. I went to see it (several hours travel and two trains each way from NW England,) and have been going to airshows since. Totally hooked.

st24

Post by st24 »

Woodwork class. A Stanley Jack plane was my favourite but I did like a good Router too..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

:roll: The use of the word planes when refering to aeroplanes has been around for over 100 years...even the military used it :roll:
Surprised you didn't also come out with the obligatory "Through a door, or by opening the canopy"
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Usually down the docking jetty which attaches to the side door opening. How do you normally get in? :cuppa: By the way, I hope to continue getting into a few more yet despite the implied comment 'did'!

Best Regards,

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Brevet Cable wrote::roll: The use of the word planes when refering to aeroplanes has been around for over 100 years...even the military used it :roll:
Surprised you didn't also come out with the obligatory "Through a door, or by opening the canopy"

Tis true, but alas with the question worded as thus there was no possible way st24 could mention getting his chopper out as well. :joystick: :wave:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Cole

Post by Cole »

The sight, the sound, the smell. :love: :lol: :biggrin:
Canon 750D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um.. :rofl:

st24

Post by st24 »

Brevet Cable wrote::roll: The use of the word planes when refering to aeroplanes has been around for over 100 years...even the military used it :roll:

Oh dear Brevet, a long day at the inane post factory leading to sense of humour failure..? Not like you old bean.
capercaillie wrote:
Tis true, but alas with the question worded as thus there was no possible way st24 could mention getting his chopper out as well. :joystick: :wave:

Wondered how long it would be before my chopper came out of your mouth... :snack:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

st24 wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

Wondered how long it would be before my chopper came out of your mouth... :snack:

Was that before or after you'd finished playing with your wood? :joystick:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

st24 wrote:Wondered how long it would be before my chopper came out of your mouth... :snack:

He typed it, so if anything, it was out of his hand. :joystick:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Back on topic! My dad has been a spotter since about 1960 so got taken to lots of airports as a kid Have always been a numbers man and occasional photographer as very much grew up in the film era and its frustrations. So far seen about 80,000 aircraft since 1977.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Two words really: Air Fete

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Can't say I've seen it myself, any good ? :grin:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1691917/

My parents took me to Duxford and various Air Fetes before the time I had a say in the matter. Now that I am pretty much independent (married you see) we go to many more airshows when possible :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

sideeffectwhu

Post by sideeffectwhu »

I was at Southend with my then Mrs slowly walking along and heard a noise. It wasn't until she see a banner and said oh look its the Southend air show.
At home i check when the next one was on and saddened to see they are only once a year. The next year the Typhoon made her debut and I committed adultery with her.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

My old man took me to Air shows from a young age. I recall only very little of those days now but I was hooked from the moment I saw a Lightning do its from Runway to tiny dot miles up in the sky party trick. God, I miss those days.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

First show was wings and wheels and the harrier got me hooked on avaition. The a380 and Vulcan at Farnborough 2008 was also a sight that help cement that. Then got seriously into the hobby in 2013 after being taken to legends!
Thomas

helired3

Post by helired3 »

From my dad he worked at Westlands back in the day and later for English Electric when we where kids we would go to yeovilton to watch the Phantoms.
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_harrisuk/

Nikon D750
Nikon D7200
Nikon 500mm pf
Tamron 150-600 G2