Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Post Reply
Stagger2
Posts: 1496
Joined: Thu 16 Jun 2011, 8:46 am

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Drones

Post by Stagger2 »

Ever since I shot my mates' drone out of the sky with an Air-Rifle I've been promising to get him a new one. Sadly my cunning plan to finance it has gone horribly wrong. I took it up to Charlwood to put by the fence, voila! Dob-in a local boy on suspicion of having a hobby!!! :shock: :loser:
£50K in the old pocket. Buy a new mega-drone & pay-off the Christmas credit-card bill. :win: Easy as falling off a log, then they announce it probably DIDN'T happen! :facepalm: :surrender:

Joe Spares
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed 30 Sep 2009, 7:20 pm
Location: Tewkesbury Glos

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Drones

Post by Joe Spares »

It would be interesting to know, what, if anything, the 'drone dome' system detected during the short closure on the afternoon flights resumed..... my hunch is bugger all, hence the rapid reopening versus another long shut down

User avatar
pbeardmore
Posts: 4266
Joined: Thu 06 Nov 2008, 9:16 am

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Drones

Post by pbeardmore »

All of the recent statements from the Police stink of "backing off" and trying to play the whole thing down with wishy washy spin rather than hard facts. It's also interesting that they are not taking questions from the media.

When the dust settles, there is one hell of a book to be written about this or a two hour TV drama.

The farce continues.............

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... unications
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Ken Shabby
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon 29 Sep 2008, 12:23 pm
Location: Romford, Essex
Contact:

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by Ken Shabby »

BBC news just reporting: "The suggestion there may not have been any drones at Gatwick Airport was a "miscommunication by police", a government source has told the BBC. During a conference call between ministers, chaired by Transport Secretary Chris Grayling, it was agreed the 67 drone sightings were legitimate."

So the Police were right all along that there were drones, but not right at the moment when they suggested there might not be. All this based on the Government now knowing that the 67 people who reported seeing a drone had, in fact, seen a drone.
Ken

REMAIN INDOORS BUT GO OUT A BIT MORE BUT STAY ALERT WHEN YOU’RE OUT AND DON’T GO TO THE FOOTBALL

frank
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 5:16 pm

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by frank »

Ken Shabby wrote:BBC news just reporting: "The suggestion there may not have been any drones at Gatwick Airport was a "miscommunication by police", a government source has told the BBC. During a conference call between ministers, chaired by Transport Secretary Chris Grayling, it was agreed the 67 drone sightings were legitimate."

So the Police were right all along that there were drones, but not right at the moment when they suggested there might not be. All this based on the Government now knowing that the 67 people who reported seeing a drone had, in fact, seen a drone.


There are a lot of large corvids in the countryside around Gatwick you know, just saying :oops:

User avatar
T_J
Posts: 2775
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:57 pm
Location: Lincs

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by T_J »

The following footage can be geo-located to Gatwick North Terminal. The Bus Terminal doesn't appear to be on Google Street View but I found a video on You Tube showing the covered walkway that you can see briefly in the drone video. A lot of people have dismissed it as not being filmed at Gatwick. Also when you view the footage on a big screen you can see the rotor extension arms even despite the poor quality.

Screen capture from the drone vid.

Image

Screen capture from Gatwick North Terminal video.

Image

The video has been uploaded to You Tube without audio

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MIaSHpoNzE[/youtube]

From the video audio.

Have you got the drone?
It's coming over your head! - Over your head!
Man with West Country accent. There's the B***** (Expletive deleted)
Other people can be heard swearing in the background.


The following links have the video with audio.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/20/first-fo ... t-8271026/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... unway.html

See following video from 0:36s. You will pass under the covered walkway. The drone vid was taken up near collection point 11 or 12 at 1:26s

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKEcev5mWBY[/youtube]

MC hammer
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri 14 Aug 2009, 8:02 pm

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Drones

Post by MC hammer »

Ken Shabby wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Ken Shabby wrote:
McG wrote:Gatwitck : The Phantom Drone

https://twitter.com/tompugh212/status/1 ... 40260?s=21


[b
]You should worry. Researchers have discovered that reindeer are red/green colour-blind and can't easily perceive orange
. [/b]


As some wag on one of the comedy panel shows said - many cyclists also suffer from this condition!

User avatar
Danny
Posts: 1373
Joined: Sat 04 Apr 2009, 11:05 am
Location: Norwich, UK
Contact:

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by Danny »

MC hammer wrote:
Ken Shabby wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Ken Shabby wrote:
McG wrote:Gatwitck : The Phantom Drone

https://twitter.com/tompugh212/status/1 ... 40260?s=21


[b
]You should worry. Researchers have discovered that reindeer are red/green colour-blind and can't easily perceive orange
. [/b]


As some wag on one of the comedy panel shows said - many cyclists also suffer from this condition!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiu1uLgwF1E[/youtube]

:lmao:
"Can you believe it? Chelsea will just not let go in the Champions League!"

User avatar
Spiny Norman
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 10:17 am

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by Spiny Norman »

We need Biggles and his chums in the Special Air Police to investigate I think, as it appears the police are not getting too far with this one.

Gatwick drone sightings may have been of police equipment, chief constable admits
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/29/gatwick-drone-sightings-may-have-police-equipment-chief-constable/

Ken Shabby
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon 29 Sep 2008, 12:23 pm
Location: Romford, Essex
Contact:

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by Ken Shabby »

Spiny Norman wrote:We need Biggles and his chums in the Special Air Police to investigate I think, as it appears the police are not getting too far with this one.

Gatwick drone sightings may have been of police equipment, chief constable admits
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/29/gatwick-drone-sightings-may-have-police-equipment-chief-constable/


BBC News reporting the possibility that some sightings may have been of a Police drone. The drones found near the the airport's perimeter have been eliminated from Police' enquiries too.

Is the presence of a Police drone something new to this story? I don't recall it having come up in reports before. Do Poilce drones have a flashing blue light on the top or do they go in plain clothes?
Ken

REMAIN INDOORS BUT GO OUT A BIT MORE BUT STAY ALERT WHEN YOU’RE OUT AND DON’T GO TO THE FOOTBALL

User avatar
T_J
Posts: 2775
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:57 pm
Location: Lincs

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by T_J »

......we have been able to corroborate 115 reports [since then], 92 of them are from credible people,” he said.

“Of course, we will have launched our own Sussex police drones at the time with a view to investigate, with a view to engage, with a view to survey the area looking for the drone, so there could be some level of confusion there.”


https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... bout-drone

minnie the moocher
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri 20 Jan 2017, 7:31 pm

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by minnie the moocher »

T_J wrote:
......we have been able to corroborate 115 reports [since then], 92 of them are from credible people,” he said.

“Of course, we will have launched our own Sussex police drones at the time with a view to investigate, with a view to engage, with a view to survey the area looking for the drone, so there could be some level of confusion there.”


https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... bout-drone


so that leaves 23 non credible sightings - and a lot of confusion - and a lot of unhappy people :facepalm:

User avatar
Brevet Cable
Posts: 13136
Joined: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by Brevet Cable »

And the Plod are now saying the Chief Constable was talking out of his hoop when he said some of the sightings were of the Police drone.
большой эрик это пенис
qui puer et deficient

Gone!

minnie the moocher
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri 20 Jan 2017, 7:31 pm

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by minnie the moocher »

don't get me wrong I'm not making light of what could have been a disaster if a drone had been hit but the way it has been handled hasn't left me with a lot of confidence. The military should have been allowed to manage the situation much earlier. I feel sorry for the couple that were accused and then found blameless having had their details splashed all over the media, the people that had plans wrecked. How much has all this cost? Just like the location of the drone I suppose we will never know

Ken Shabby
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon 29 Sep 2008, 12:23 pm
Location: Romford, Essex
Contact:

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by Ken Shabby »

Sussex Police on Twitter:

"The disruption was not caused by police drones, launched in response and only when the airport was closed."

Sussex Police Chief Constable reportedly as saying on BBC"

... he said he was "absolutely certain that there was a drone flying throughout the period that the airport was closed".

Oh, alright, I know I'm taking the pee! But they've brought it on themselves.
Ken

REMAIN INDOORS BUT GO OUT A BIT MORE BUT STAY ALERT WHEN YOU’RE OUT AND DON’T GO TO THE FOOTBALL

frank
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 5:16 pm

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by frank »

Brevet Cable wrote:And the Plod are now saying the Chief Constable was talking out of his hoop when he said some of the sightings were of the Police drone.


I have no doubt some of the sightings were of the Police drone as it was up trying to locate the rogue. The context of what he was saying is completely lost in the Press.

User avatar
pbeardmore
Posts: 4266
Joined: Thu 06 Nov 2008, 9:16 am

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by pbeardmore »

The whole thing has been a PR disaster for the Police. I'm not exactly sure what they did correctly.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

minnie the moocher
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri 20 Jan 2017, 7:31 pm

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by minnie the moocher »

it might have been better for them if it had been just one person speaking to the press - but then the press have a reputation for badgering people until they say something they later regret. The press are not blameless in this mess either

User avatar
Gonzo230
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun 01 Jul 2012, 8:13 am

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by Gonzo230 »

I’ve long had issues with the non-specialist Police forces asking anyone who observes a drone in close proximity to an airport to report it.

At Heathrow we often have drones flying around, undertaking aerial inspections of large aircraft, photo/video surveys of airport buildings etc, let alone those used for security and policing. In the future no doubt we will use them for runway and lighting inspections, and possibly navaid calibration.

parsley
UKAR Supporter
Posts: 966
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 10:49 pm
Location: Just east of a large airport in West London

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by parsley »

Gonzo230 wrote:I’ve long had issues with the non-specialist Police forces asking anyone who observes a drone in close proximity to an airport to report it.

At Heathrow we often have drones flying around, undertaking aerial inspections of large aircraft, photo/video surveys of airport buildings etc, let alone those used for security and policing. In the future no doubt we will use them for runway and lighting inspections, and possibly navaid calibration.


From what I remember isn't use at LHR subject to permit approval from Heathrow Airport Limited and all potentially interested parties (including the Police at Heathrow) are advised in advance (or at least should be).

User avatar
Gonzo230
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun 01 Jul 2012, 8:13 am

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by Gonzo230 »

Within the airport boundary, ATC and HAL will be aware, Police will not be aware (unless it’s them).

Just outside the airport boundary, only ATC will be aware

parsley
UKAR Supporter
Posts: 966
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 10:49 pm
Location: Just east of a large airport in West London

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by parsley »

Gonzo230 wrote:Within the airport boundary, ATC and HAL will be aware, Police will not be aware (unless it’s them).

Just outside the airport boundary, only ATC will be aware


Ah right o....believe the cargo area landlord lets the cargo police office know as a matter of courtesy if they are using one for building survey work.


cg_341
Posts: 1814
Joined: Sun 09 Aug 2015, 1:39 pm

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by cg_341 »

From that article:
They will also be able to search premises and seize drones - including the electronic data stored within the device - where a serious offence has been committed and a warrant is secured.

So exactly the same powers as the police currently have then?

minnie the moocher
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri 20 Jan 2017, 7:31 pm

Re: Gatwick Airport Closed Due to Something, possibly

Post by minnie the moocher »

yep pretty much - it struck me that it was more about being seen to do something

Post Reply