Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby Euan Buchan on Mon 21 Jan 2019, 12:20 pm

Really been enjoying it
User avatar
Euan Buchan

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby fighterfoto on Mon 21 Jan 2019, 5:57 pm

I do hope the photographer who sold the images of the crash and those who defended his actions watch the next episode.
User avatar
fighterfoto

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby Unknown74 on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 3:53 am

Would love to see the Series released as a DVD when it's been fully shown?
Unknown74

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 7:56 am

fighterfoto wrote:I do hope the photographer who sold the images of the crash and those who defended his actions watch the next episode.

Why?
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby Abbo46 on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 10:21 pm

Another excellent episode this evening. :clap:

Have a feeling the next one could be a difficult watch.
User avatar
Abbo46

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby harkins on Fri 01 Feb 2019, 11:48 am

A little surprised that nobody has commented on this weeks episode. I thought they handled the accident and aftermath pretty well in the documentary. Also interesting to see how in the military that they just get on with things. Even his closest friend in the circus who isn't a keen flyer just got back in a Hawk and carried on with the job. The programme as a whole has certainly made me re-evaluate how I see RAFAT. From getting a bit complacent about them to renewed admiration. I also realised how much I just see a Hawk or a Tornado or a Hercules from the fence or crowdline and forget about the human sat in there.

One other thing about the documentary that I was interested by but wasn't really explained was how Mike Ling was brought back in to fly as Red 3 after spending 6 or 7 years as Red 10. Maybe it's like riding a bike, but I would have liked a bit more information on how he'd kept currency in that period. I assume he must have still got many hours in the drivers seat of fast jets in those years to remain at Red Arrows standard.
User avatar
harkins

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby st24 on Fri 01 Feb 2019, 12:18 pm

harkins wrote:A little surprised that nobody has commented on this weeks episode. I thought they handled the accident and aftermath pretty well in the documentary. Also interesting to see how in the military that they just get on with things. Even his closest friend in the circus who isn't a keen flyer just got back in a Hawk and carried on with the job. The programme as a whole has certainly made me re-evaluate how I see RAFAT. From getting a bit complacent about them to renewed admiration. I also realised how much I just see a Hawk or a Tornado or a Hercules from the fence or crowdline and forget about the human sat in there.

One other thing about the documentary that I was interested by but wasn't really explained was how Mike Ling was brought back in to fly as Red 3 after spending 6 or 7 years as Red 10. Maybe it's like riding a bike, but I would have liked a bit more information on how he'd kept currency in that period. I assume he must have still got many hours in the drivers seat of fast jets in those years to remain at Red Arrows standard.

Well he'd spent the previous 9 years with the team so his Hawk and formation flying hours were higher than most...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
User avatar
st24

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby keithjs on Fri 01 Feb 2019, 12:25 pm

Also, as communication isn't too good on my planet :dizzy: since when have they been going to Tanagra AB in Greece for 'Springhawk'..I always thought it was Cyprus?
And yes, I thought the accident was handled very sympathetically...
A very good series throughout so far :up:
...Rad shutters auto.
User avatar
keithjs

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby harkins on Fri 01 Feb 2019, 12:31 pm

st24 wrote:Well he'd spent the previous 9 years with the team so his Hawk and formation flying hours were higher than most...

I see. I thought that he'd spent the last 6 or 7 doing commentary and ferry flights. I didn't realise that Red 10 still flew close formation stuff. Maybe just photo-ship kind of stuff. Maybe for the lesser informed like me they might have said why Mike Ling was the best option over perhaps inviting back one of the three pilots who left at the end of the previous season.

I also thought that Cyprus was their regular winter training bolthole. Too much anti-ISIS activity there last year?
User avatar
harkins

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby clearstone on Fri 01 Feb 2019, 12:48 pm

That's a misconception about the Red 10 role - its more than just flying the 'spare jet' and involves a fair amount of flying with new pilots. Certainly as Mike was an experienced Red Arrows display pilot he was involved with quite a bit of mentoring during his time as Red 10.

And yes, Cyprus is just too busy with Op Shader to host Springhawk for the moment.
clearstone

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby MicrolightDriver on Fri 01 Feb 2019, 3:47 pm

I think it's been a great series - excellent footage, a fantastic showcase of their flying skills and just generally a real insight into the different elements that come together to form the RAFAT. A credit to them and the RAF.

I wish they'd be a bit more creative with their nicknames though... :smile:
User avatar
MicrolightDriver

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby boff180 on Sat 02 Feb 2019, 9:46 am

keithjs wrote:Also, as communication isn't too good on my planet :dizzy: since when have they been going to Tanagra AB in Greece for 'Springhawk'..I always thought it was Cyprus?


Since Syria/ISIS ops made Akrotiri a very busy combat base, they can't accommodate them.
User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby keithjs on Sat 02 Feb 2019, 12:05 pm

Since Syria/ISIS ops made Akrotiri a very busy combat base, they can't accommodate them.[/quote]

Thanks, didn't know that. :up:
...Rad shutters auto.
User avatar
keithjs

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby Euan Buchan on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 10:16 am

Since been on holiday I have a few episodes to catch up on
User avatar
Euan Buchan

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby Unknown74 on Wed 06 Feb 2019, 5:07 pm

Believe they’re covering the pilots selection process Tonight? - Interesting.
Unknown74

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby Tmyers123 on Wed 06 Feb 2019, 10:05 pm

Another enjoyable episode. Nice to see the selection process too, looks like a nice way to spend a week. :grin:
User avatar
Tmyers123

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Postby Abbo46 on Wed 06 Feb 2019, 10:12 pm

Couldn't agree more, yet another thoroughly enjoyable episode! :clap:
User avatar
Abbo46

Previous

Return to Aviation Waffle

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mictheslik, Tom105 and 12 guests