Battle of Britain film 50th Anniversary?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
keithjs

Battle of Britain film 50th Anniversary?

Post by keithjs »

I'm sure we all know that this year is the 50th Anniversary of the release and premier of the film at Leicester Square on 15th September 1969.
Does anyone know if this is likely to be celebrated like it was back in 2009 at the Vue Cinema in Finchley Road for the 40th? I know there are another 9 months to go yet but I don't know how long these things take to organise?
Something along the lines of the Dambusters event back in May last year I thought would be great..
I thought if not then I might even approach our local Empire or Cineworld and see if I can hire a screen for one evening... As the 15th this year falls on a Sunday it would be somewhat more convenient for people to attend.

All thoughts greatly appreciated.
...Rad shutters auto.

DOUGHNUT

Re: Battle of Britain film 50th Anniversary?

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Depends on who owns the cinema rights to screen the film and how much they want compared to how much they think it will make.
I would assume any news of a limited re-release or one off event would have been rumoured by now.
Another question might be in this digital age how can the original cinema film be shown.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

wonderful excuse at Legends to use some of the soundtrack?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

pbeardmore wrote:wonderful excuse at Legends to use some of the soundtrack?

Yes indeed.

I've inquired at our local Empire and Cineworld as to what the requirements would be to organise something myself so will wait and see what they have to say....
...Rad shutters auto.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

or how about a small evening show at Duxford followed by an open air screening. ?

IMHO, they could do with trying something a little different.

https://www.skylightcinema.co.uk/prices/
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Why bother?
It's not as if it hasn't been on the telly recently ( and probably will be again, come Easter )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Brevet Cable wrote:Why bother?
It's not as if it hasn't been on the telly recently ( and probably will be again, come Easter )

Because it would be very good to see it up on a very large screen rather than the telly.

Only downfall is that other people will be there, coughing, looking at phones, talking, eating and generally being fairly smelly......... :grin:

I'll stick with the telly...............
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

pbeardmore wrote:or how about a small evening show at Duxford followed by an open air screening. ?

IMHO, they could do with trying something a little different.

https://www.skylightcinema.co.uk/prices/

What a good idea. Maybe they could have a showing after the Airshow in the super hanger...Pity the anniversary is the week before tho'....

And yes, that sounds just like our local too.......... :snack:
...Rad shutters auto.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

That's the Battle of Britain spirit!

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

An open air screening at Duxford (or elsewhere) would be fabulous, followed by Spitfire, Hurricane, Blenheim and Messerschmitt displays.

This needs to be a thing.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Spiny Norman wrote:

That's the Battle of Britain spirit!

I personally wasn't going to rise to the bait.... :wall:

Dan O'Hagan wrote:An open air screening at Duxford (or elsewhere) would be fabulous, followed by Spitfire, Hurricane, Blenheim and Messerschmitt displays.

Hopefully there's someone that could make it happen? Surely there'd be the opportunity to invite people associated with the filming too whether it be cast or crew.
How ironic would it be to have an open air screening where the hanger was blown up....
...Rad shutters auto.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:An open air screening at Duxford (or elsewhere) would be fabulous, followed by Spitfire, Hurricane, Blenheim and Messerschmitt displays.

Pretty sure this is a thing that has already happened, I seem to recall Headcorn certainly advertising an event like this last summer, don't know if it actually took place or not?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

If it was one of those films which are rarely screened, fair enough.
But it's not...... it's as much a staple as the likes of Zulu & Die Hard.
There are, in my opinion, better aviation-related war films from the same era out there which don't receive the acclaim of BofB.
Or maybe I'm jaded from seeing the same plastic models splashing in the water repeated multiple times (and from different angles)

In ten or twenty years time (if you ain't dead) will you be clamouring for special anniversary showings of time such as 'The Red Baron' or 'Spitfire'/'303 Squadron' ?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Brevet Cable wrote:If it was one of those films which are rarely screened, fair enough.
But it's not...... it's as much a staple as the likes of Zulu & Die Hard.
There are, in my opinion, better aviation-related war films from the same era out there which don't receive the acclaim of BofB.
Or maybe I'm jaded from seeing the same plastic models splashing in the water repeated multiple times (and from different angles)

In ten or twenty years time (if you ain't dead) will you be clamouring for special anniversary showings of time such as 'The Red Baron' or 'Spitfire'/'303 Squadron' ?

I'd rather watch the models in Battle of Britain than the CGI in Pearl Harbour!

Put it on twice, once with the Ron Goodwin score and once dubbed with the William Walton one. Get Michael Caine in to ask "How much longer Ops....?"

And then fire those four Buchons across the back of the airfield at twenty feet with plenty of pyros going off.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/btm/me ... lt-returns

Missed this, looked interesting.

https://www.economist.com/prospero/2016 ... oor-cinema

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/a ... itain-boom

Airshow organisers need to keep with the times and expoit new opportunities/market trends. Open air cinema is becoming more popular (see links) so to mix a classic aviation movie with a small evening show has potential IMHO and the hire costs were cheaper than I thought. Plus, of course, you have additional food and drink sales. Duxford is the obvious venue but Shuttleworth have a history of evening shows/concerts so it's within their comfort zone. Also, the timing is perfect as the aircraft need some light to display but the movie needs it darker so you have a small airshow, toilet/drinks break and then the movie. If you wanted to exploit a wider market and reduce fixed overhead costs, have Top Gun on the Saturday and Battle of Britain on the Sunday? (or TMMITFM perfect for Shuttleworth?)

Looks like Headcorn tried it but with a single Spit. Anyone go?

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/whats-on/e ... ing-11868/

flyholt

Post by flyholt »

Hello all.
The link to the Brooklands Museum BTM event refers to the presentation I gave about a month ago. I'm pleased to say that they had one of the biggest turn outs since these evenings began with over 240 present.
I'm also honoured that the Smithsonian at Dulles has shown a big interest in my presentation and now has a secure, professionally made video of the presentation. This is there for research use. It is likely that I'll be visiting them sometime this year to give the presentation in person.
To book me email phil@highflyingtalks.co.uk
I hope to meet some of you if your club / society are interested.
CLEAREDTODISPLAY