Tornado Farewell Tour

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Re: Tornado Farewell Tour

Post by toom317 »

jingernut wrote:
Mr Benn wrote:Very frustrating that his was done midweek when most of us are at work. Maybe they did it to keep the crowd level down.

Maybe they did it as all of the people involved probably didn't want to work the weekend; ground crew, pilots, atc, fire cover, aircrew for refueling etc. etc. etc.

Quite right Jingernut. If seeing this series of flyby's is so important to any off you, sacrifice your own free time to do it.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee »

Mr Benn wrote:Very frustrating that his was done midweek when most of us are at work. Maybe they did it to keep the crowd level down.

Not sure about other parts of the country - but in Shropshire and surrounds it's school half-term week - so it could be argued that they were permitting more folks to see the event. :dunno:

At Shawbury it was particularly busy. I've lived there for many years - and Station Families Days, Land Owners Days and Cosford Air Show weekend have never attracted anything near the numbers of vehicles I saw yesterday.

Arthur
Canon PowerShot SX40HS - It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Today's jets are about to launch. Same formation as yesterday with just the 31 Sqn tail in special markings.

13 of 15 Tornados on base are currently serviceable. The two that aren't are 9 Sqn special and the retro jet, according to OC IX Sqn.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

CJS

Post by CJS »

Such a shame.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Today's jets are about to launch. Same formation as yesterday with just the 31 Sqn tail in special markings.

13 of 15 Tornados on base are currently serviceable. The two that aren't are 9 Sqn special and the retro jet, according to OC IX Sqn.

You couldn't make it up. Which day is the 9 ship planned for?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Next Thursday.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

capercaillie wrote:You couldn't make it up. Which day is the 9 ship planned for?

The afternoon of the 28th of February.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Many thanks both. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

Crazy, was hoping to be down tomorrow and Friday in the hope of getting the special tonks and D-day F-15!... :facepalm:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

st24 wrote:Crazy, was hoping to be down tomorrow and Friday in the hope of getting the special tonks and D-day F-15!... :facepalm:

OC said they hope to have both serviceable in time for tomorrow's flypasts.

Suspect there's plenty of time to get the F-15. Another two due out yet and they're far busier than RAF jets in terms of flying hours.

st24

Post by st24 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
st24 wrote:Crazy, was hoping to be down tomorrow and Friday in the hope of getting the special tonks and D-day F-15!... :facepalm:

OC said they hope to have both serviceable in time for tomorrow's flypasts.

Suspect there's plenty of time to get the F-15. Another two due out yet and they're far busier than RAF jets in terms of flying hours.

This is indeed true, just nice to catch them as soon as you can, you never know what's round the corner...

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

TORNADO flight currently working Cardiff Airport, routling 8 miles South of the airfield at 6000ft.

Edited to add...
2 showing on ADS-B Exchange coasting out from Burnham On Sea -- ZD716 & ZD744 ( 3rd one not showing should be ZA587 according to Live-Mode-S )

Edited again to add...
Look to be using 246.025 as interplane.

Now reporting routing to Pembrey.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Back to working Cardiff, 119.15
아직도 숨어있다

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq »

In case you are unaware, the D-Day F-15 is currently in Spain. Apologies if it's not news to you! :up:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Anyone in Wales want to admit to being in any of the photos on the Wales Online website?
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/live-updates-raf-tornado-farewell-15858019
아직도 숨어있다

st24

Post by st24 »

bizfreeq wrote:
In case you are unaware, the D-Day F-15 is currently in Spain. Apologies if it's not news to you! :up:

Indeed, hence the :facepalm:

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Saw them today at Andover as happened to be working round the corner. Good turn out of people. Nice run and a very smokey turn towards Boscombe. :rock:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

The BBC keeps saying that the Tornado has been in service for 40 years, but I saw my first one (an immaculate 9 squadron example) in 1982, which I think was the year that they first entered squadron service.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

AlexC wrote:The BBC keeps saying that the Tornado has been in service for 40 years, but I saw my first one (an immaculate 9 squadron example) in 1982, which I think was the year that they first entered squadron service.

The first production aircraft were delivered in 1979, 40 years ago. :up:

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

AlexC wrote:The BBC keeps saying that the Tornado has been in service for 40 years, but I saw my first one (an immaculate 9 squadron example) in 1982, which I think was the year that they first entered squadron service.

1982 was 37 years ago!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Brevet Cable wrote:Anyone in Wales want to admit to being in any of the photos on the Wales Online website?
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/live-updates-raf-tornado-farewell-15858019

:hide:

Jk, I was at St Athan but away from most other peeps trying to get a topside of the three

Mike Dodd

Post by Mike Dodd »

Caught them over MOD Corsham near home, looked like nearly everyone on site out watching . The little devils arrived 2 minutes early and nearly caught us out, as usual with this kind of event grey jets against a leaden grey sky but glad I made the effort for probably my last view of the Tornado in flight. Well done to the RAF and all involved for giving the Tornado a decent send off.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Pat Murphy wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:
Mooshie1956 wrote:
HeyfordDave111 wrote:
Mooshie1956 wrote:Surprised to see the old RAF Sealand on the list. I don't recall ever seeing anything flying out of there.

Wasnt Sealand involved with the Radars for them?

I couldn't say, all I remember about Sealand was (when we use to go to visit my Auntie at the old Rhosneigr army camp on Anglesey) was going over the bridge that would make your stomach churn and the gate guards. Then at some point the gate guards being removed.

Various parts for both Tornado variants F3 and GR1/ GR4 were serviced at Sealand, hence the new gate guardian gifted to them and the flypast on the 19th.

Gate Guard? Tell us more..... :smile:

http://www.deeside.com/another-tornado-arrived-in-sealand-yesterday-but-this-one-is-here-to-stay/

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

According to RAF Marham, all three specials should be available for the flypasts today.