Red Arrows in 2019

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Unknown74

Red Arrows in 2019

Post by Unknown74 »

While I was watching the excellent Kings Of The Skies about the Red Arrows Last Night, I couldn't help but think, apart from Fairford are we likely to have much opportunity to see the Red Arrows in the UK in 2019 before they head off to USA and Canada?

CJS

Re: Red Arrows in 2019

Post by CJS »

Presumably at most airshows, seaside shows, country fayres whatnot between the start of the season and the end of July. 3 full months with at least I should think.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Mike

Post by Mike »

In 2016 and 2017 they started their season in early June, this year they are displaying through to RIAT, so about 7 weeks, not exactly '3 full months...at least'.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Fair point.

Still, based on last year there will be around 15 chances to see them up to and including RIAT.

Plus flypasts in between displays.

So still plenty of chances :up:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Why?
The aircraft will look the same as usual, the display will be exactly the same as usual ( even if they change the names of some of the elements to try and disguise that )
So it's not as if people will really miss anything, is it?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Bluebird Mike

Post by Bluebird Mike »

You know, you could have just said nothing there... :whistle:

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Not sure why the Reds get such sarky comments on here, after watching the Channel 5 series I have even more admiration for them than I did before. It showed that the guys are just humans and like everyone, sometimes make errors. The main thing I got from the TV show was that they still have the magic with the public, and that is probably what concerns them more than the sniping of a few individuals on here who see themselves as too 'cool' to admit to liking them....

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

None of you have posted anything to indicate that my post was inaccurate, though.

UKTopgun wrote:a few individuals on here who see themselves as too 'cool' to admit to liking them....

Wrong.
아직도 숨어있다

Bluebird Mike

Post by Bluebird Mike »

Brevet Cable wrote:So it's not as if people will really miss anything, is it?

YOU might not think so, but the wider, general airshow going public adores them. Indeed to many, they ARE an airshow. They also serve as a symbol of something for this country to be proud of at occasions such as Royal flypasts and the like. So any nits you pick are immaterial really and just make you look like you are trolling.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Brevet Cable wrote:Why?
The aircraft will look the same as usual, the display will be exactly the same as usual ( even if they change the names of some of the elements to try and disguise that )

Those youngsters who were told last year "We'll take you to see the Red Arrows next year when you're older". They'll miss out.

Those who were ill, or working, or on other duties and missed their local show. They'll miss out.

Those who really like seeing the Red Arrows and wish to see them as much as possible. They'll miss out.

The stall holders who sell more stuff when there's a bigger crowd because the Red Arrows are flying. They'll miss out.

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

Brevet Cable wrote:Why?

Depends if you're appreciating the skills, the talent and the effort, or if you're always just craving something new.

Joe Spares

Post by Joe Spares »

Bluebird Mike wrote:

YOU might not think so, but the wider, general airshow going public adores them. Indeed to many, they ARE an airshow. They also serve as a symbol of something for this country to be proud of at occasions such as Royal flypasts and the like. So any nits you pick are immaterial really and just make you look like you are trolling.

Nope, it's pretty much as it is every year... so a couple of seaside shows wont have them late summer, but they will be back next year, it's hardly a 'last flight of the Vulcan' or similar scenario

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Watch out, Joe, you'll be accused of being a troll, sniping or "too cool".
Don't you know that the RAFAT-Nazis have decreed nobody's allowed to post anything perceived to be negative about the Red Arrows? :whistle:
아직도 숨어있다

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Joe Spares wrote:
Bluebird Mike wrote:

Nope, it's pretty much as it is every year... so a couple of seaside shows wont have them late summer, but they will be back next year, it's hardly a 'last flight of the Vulcan' or similar scenario

Southport said that last year after they didn't attend in 2017 (Far East Tour), oh hang on they didn't do any main show days last year, but never mind everyone said they'll be here next year (2019). Oh hang on lets repeat that record, never mind they'll be here next year. It's really a poor show by them to miss out on what is probably the North West biggest show and even possible that it's the main Northern show in England, for 3 years running.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Joe Spares

Post by Joe Spares »

Southport airshow? Is there one? Is it big, never heard of it,or is it just another seaside show ?

CJS

Post by CJS »

No, I think that's allowed (in strict moderation :lol: ). But you can't deny those seaside shows they won't be at this year probably will suffer, at least a little bit, from a lack of the RAFAT.

And to be fair if you look at their 2018 displays there were about 22 separate displays up to the end of the RIAT weekend and (I counted) 37 UK displays post RIAT. So it is a fair chunk of the season.

I totally agree with Joe though, a bit of perspective required! I love them, but it's not as if they're disbanding or anything!

Joe Spares

Post by Joe Spares »

....plus afaik, the Red's don't display for free, so would suggest that any none appearance at this Southport airshow is more to do with the organisers not stumping up the readies, as opposed to a poor showing by the RAF...?

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Joe Spares wrote:Southport airshow? Is there one? Is it big, never heard of it,or is it just another seaside show ?

I think it's one of those shows that have an act appear every year that the almighty RIAT are really excited to have for the very first time this year.
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Joe Spares wrote:....plus afaik, the Red's don't display for free, so would suggest that any none appearance at this Southport airshow is more to do with the organisers not stumping up the readies, as opposed to a poor showing by the RAF...?

Really?. Are you really such an ignorant clown. 2017 Reds went to the Far East, 2018 They didn't come up while RIAT was on and this year they'll be in the USA. I don't think that has anything to do with Southport not having the readies to pay for them.
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Mooshie1956 wrote:Are you really such an ignorant clown

:roll:
아직도 숨어있다

Joe Spares

Post by Joe Spares »

Mooshie1956 wrote:
Joe Spares wrote:....plus afaik, the Red's don't display for free, so would suggest that any none appearance at this Southport airshow is more to do with the organisers not stumping up the readies, as opposed to a poor showing by the RAF...?

Really?. Are you really such an ignorant clown. 2017 Reds went to the Far East, 2018 They didn't come up while RIAT was on and this year they'll be in the USA. I don't think that has anything to do with Southport not having the readies to pay for them.

Evidently yes....so they couldn't be booked twice as they are/were touring, and the third occasion they were celebrating the raf 100th at the 'official's bash on Gloucestershire, so not the southport organisers fault, or a 'poor show from the reds'just unlucky timing.... and despite them not being at Southport the last two years, the show goes on, just as the others will without them....

RosscoPCole

Post by RosscoPCole »

Didn't I hear that the Red Arrows are touring America this summer so will not be at most UK summer airshows. I'm sure I read this about Bournemouth later this year.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

It will probably be the likes of Sunderland, East Fortune, Bournemouth, Scottish International Airshow, Portrush etc which will not have the Red Arrows but all the Shows and occasions/ events which take place before IAT Fairford will be the lucky ones.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Mooshie1956 wrote:Are you really such an ignorant clown

:roll:

That's what I thought - no question mark or anything...

CJS

Post by CJS »

RosscoPCole wrote:Didn't I hear that the Red Arrows are touring America this summer so will not be at most UK summer airshows. I'm sure I read this about Bournemouth later this year.

Did you read that here by any chance? On this thread I mean, the thread all about the RAFAT's North American tour?