Interesting Internet

Interesting Internet

Postby Tommy on Sun 17 Feb 2019, 3:26 pm

I’ve had this idea for a thread for a while now, but only just got around to making it.

The point of the thread is to post/discuss cool or interesting things seen on social media or elsewhere on the internet which probably wouldn’t warrant their own threads, but are cool to share regardless.

I’ll make it a sticky for ease of reference.

Anyone struggling with embedding Twitter/FB/IG links etc, drop me or another staffer a PM and we’ll sort it.

I’ll start us off;

C-27 eat your heart out:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: Interesting Internet

Postby Tmyers123 on Sun 17 Feb 2019, 5:25 pm

Great idea for a thread!

I’m sure lots of people on here will have seen this already, but I still think this missed approach from a Su-33 is one of the craziest aviation-related videos on the internet.

Tmyers123

Postby starbuck on Sun 17 Feb 2019, 5:40 pm

I have a sneaking feeling that the Russians will feature pretty heavily in this thread :lol:
starbuck

Postby Abbo46 on Sun 17 Feb 2019, 5:44 pm

Rather excellent idea!

Fairly new video from Ukraine, bloody mental!

Abbo46

Postby starbuck on Sun 17 Feb 2019, 5:46 pm

And Ukrainians! :lol:
starbuck

Postby Tommy on Mon 18 Feb 2019, 6:08 pm

It’s always time for bevvies with the boys:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby rob68 on Mon 18 Feb 2019, 6:22 pm

If I've done this correctly
rob68

Postby Rick on Mon 18 Feb 2019, 6:59 pm

Bonkers DC4 display,not for the faint-hearted :shock:
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.
Rick

Postby Tommy on Thu 21 Feb 2019, 5:46 pm

Good news for the Bruntingthorpe VC-10
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Tommy on Fri 22 Feb 2019, 7:21 pm

The Sharkmouth Mustang has received some invasion stripes.

First of many warbirds for his year, i’d imagine:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Tmyers123 on Sat 23 Feb 2019, 2:17 pm

A Lossie Typhoon in new IX(B) Squadron markings, great to see. Hopefully this is the start of squadron markings becoming more common, let’s hope there are some No. 12 Squadron markings too when they get their Tiffies. :up:

Tmyers123

Postby Abbo46 on Sat 23 Feb 2019, 2:48 pm

Not good at all, pretty remarkable nobody was injured.
Abbo46

Postby Tommy on Sat 23 Feb 2019, 3:07 pm

Tmyers123 wrote:A Lossie Typhoon in new IX(B) Squadron markings, great to see. Hopefully this is the start of squadron markings becoming more common, let’s hope there are some No. 12 Squadron markings too when they get their Tiffies. :up:

First Typhoon Sqn marks I've seen that haven't been in the standard "shield" format on the tail?

Good to see!
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Big Eric on Sat 23 Feb 2019, 3:20 pm

Tommy wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:A Lossie Typhoon in new IX(B) Squadron markings, great to see. Hopefully this is the start of squadron markings becoming more common, let’s hope there are some No. 12 Squadron markings too when they get their Tiffies. :up:

First Typhoon Sqn marks I've seen that haven't been in the standard "shield" format on the tail?

Good to see!

I think you'll find that the 9 squadron stickers were only applied to the two Typhoons for the air-to-air shots with the 9 squadron "special-tail" Tornado that were taken on Thursday.
Big Eric

Postby Tmyers123 on Sat 23 Feb 2019, 3:23 pm

Tommy wrote:First Typhoon Sqn marks I've seen that haven't been in the standard "shield" format on the tail?

Good to see!

There’s II(AC)’s wake knot and 41 TES’s double-armed cross, but I think the rest are shields. :up:
Tmyers123

Postby Tommy on Sat 23 Feb 2019, 11:31 pm

Big Eric wrote:I think you'll find that the 9 squadron stickers were only applied to the two Typhoons for the air-to-air shots with the 9 squadron "special-tail" Tornado that were taken on Thursday.

Ah cheers, I didn't know that.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby itfcscott on Mon 25 Feb 2019, 5:45 pm

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Postby Tommy on Wed 27 Feb 2019, 7:57 am

:ninja:
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby HeyfordDave111 on Wed 27 Feb 2019, 8:40 am

first pic shows the painted one of 2 (with stars and bars on the underside), a very nice catch indeed.
Not sure about pic 2 though, unless he's blanked out the top side purposely for security reasons, otherwise it could be just a photoshop job.
Got to love Russianhardware
HeyfordDave111

Postby Tom105 on Wed 27 Feb 2019, 2:40 pm

PM631 has flown for the first time since 2014!
Thomas
Tom105

Postby Tom105 on Wed 27 Feb 2019, 4:12 pm

PT462 has made a wheels up landing at Denham airfield.
Thomas
Tom105

Postby Tmyers123 on Wed 27 Feb 2019, 4:19 pm

HeyfordDave111 wrote:first pic shows the painted one of 2 (with stars and bars on the underside), a very nice catch indeed.
Not sure about pic 2 though, unless he's blanked out the top side purposely for security reasons, otherwise it could be just a photoshop job.

He’s not the only photographer to see it out there recently, I highly doubt it’s photoshop. And you can (just) make out the USAF roundel under the right wing. It’s probably a result of heat haze and cropping that there is such little visibility.
Tmyers123

Postby Ewart on Wed 27 Feb 2019, 5:44 pm

HeyfordDave111 wrote:first pic shows the painted one of 2 (with stars and bars on the underside), a very nice catch indeed.

To me the second shot shows the underside, not the top side.
Ewart

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Wed 27 Feb 2019, 6:10 pm

If you look at the shots in the article, I think what it actually shows is a jet with oil streaking/weathering:

And considering that they've scrubbed the unit markings from them, I doubt that any that had the flag painted on them a decade ago or more still look like that...?

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby HeyfordDave111 on Wed 27 Feb 2019, 6:35 pm

Hi,

I have screen captured the image and blown it up to fit my 15 inch screen and although i get what your saying, i see equal white and what looks like red lines.
Plus there's a demarcation line just behind the leading edge which also seems rather painted.....

However that could be and might be my screen and my old eyes.

As they said on the X files..... 'I want to believe'

But no matter what, i am jealous of the shots, blinking lovely :rock:
Got to love Russianhardware
HeyfordDave111

Next

Return to Aviation Waffle