FRIAT 2023 ticket increases discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
verreli

Re: FRIAT 2023 ticket increases discussion

Post by verreli »

Or another way to look at it is a headline concert ticket will cost c.£200. You can pay much more - in the £1000s and a bit less if you're not bothered about actually seeing the stage for c.4hrs entertainment.

FRIAT will cost you 87% more but you get 500% the organised entertainment and also get to see them building the stage and tearing it down for days before and after.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

so i had a chance to read the email properly and i have a number of queries that it doesn't seem to answer.

this is my first FRIAT experience, and by the looks of it, i am being asked to decide whether it is good enough for me to commit to doing it again next year on the first day i experience it. I know they are looking out to long standing supporters with this, but it looks like they are asking us to commit to next years show before we've even had this one.

with the price banding. there's no context to what the bands actually mean. i'm assuming the higher the seating row the higher the band? but where will my seat in row D?

is there no ability to pay direct debit? or am i expect to just hand them over £375 quid for a completely unknown product?

i appreciate costs go up, but it feels at the moment like they are using the good will of FRIAT members to subsidise them.

not going to lie, its taken the shine of my first foray into FRIAT

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

verreli wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:44 am
Or another way to look at it is a headline concert ticket will cost c.£200. You can pay much more - in the £1000s and a bit less if you're not bothered about actually seeing the stage for c.4hrs entertainment.

FRIAT will cost you 87% more but you get 500% the organised entertainment and also get to see them building the stage and tearing it down for days before and after.
We’re talking about RIAT, not concerts though.

I always found the comparisons to F1 or football or gigs or Alton Towers a bit of a red herring. We’re not talking about any of them, we’re talking about airshows.

If you want to make comparisons, then the reasonable measure is to do so against equivalent airshows (thus the Zeltweg example - grateful to you for supplementing that info btw).

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

On a different note if costs are such a factor it seems RIAT are not maximising the outlay on some of the civilian participants it seems to me.

Can’t imagine the Swedes are cheap to bring over – for static?

Worth the outlay – considering you are paying!

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Rockford - I have exactly the same concerns as you.

Had the email been clear, detailed, and transparent, I'm certain there would have been less people vowing never to attend again. Would there still be concern? Undoubtedly. Would people still be questioning whether they can continue to do it? I'm pretty sure there would. But would long term, extremely loyal customers be vowing not to return? I doubt it.

What we got was vague, unjustified and lazy. After three years of little to no communication, that email was a really dreadful read.

RIAT, and FRIAT by extension is clearly a source of sentimentality for many people, and to see so many people now being put in a position where they can't confidently say they can continue to attend, is terrible.

Additionally, I really don't see why we are constantly comparing RIAT to concerts or football matches when it is neither. Compare it to other airshows, or the comparison is completely invalid.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

R4118 wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:43 am
Tommy wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:28 am
Andyph wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:23 am

There are plenty of other options to watch the Fairford display - P+V and various naughty fields as well as normal show tickets - It actually is a great way to chop and change over a few days and costs a lot less.
I daresay a decent number will do exactly that.

It belies the point that most/all FRIATers *want* to contribute to RIAT. We love the show and we care about it, obviously.

Otherwise they’d already be doing naughty fields. That’s sort of the point - FRIATers are very happy to contribute to the show and to pay, even the premium (though as has been noted we’ve been paying a bit more for less for some years now), but they also don’t want to get unfairly shafted.

That’s the nub of the issue.
Other option it will be.

I am a FRIAT member since the mid nineties, but it will end in 2022. The ticketprice for 2023 is the reason : 3 0 0 pounds for the "cheap" seats??????
Think I will pass for next year and move a few feet to the Viewing Village grandstand. And PV on monday.

A purely rational decision,
but with enormous pain in my heart and a lump in my throat.....

Now just praying that the weather will be kind to us this year.
Before you throw the baby out with the bathwater, nobody has seen next year's rates for other areas of the show. What seems like an excessive price hike now, might seem a lot more reasonable when they're published and at least FRIAT members get to know the rate a year in advance.

Ok, I get it a lot aren't happy but step into the real world. Costs are up! Ignore inflation, it's a headline number. Try real world economics. I'll give you just a few examples from my "Real World" business.
Insurance (try running an accommodation business without it!) Last year £1100. This year, they're having the Business Interruption claims back....£1600 and believe me. I shop around!!
Electric: Hedged mine 2 years ago at 12.5 Pence per KWHour. Deal finished last October just as things kicked off. Now it's at the Cap and forecast in October to rise to 29 pence per KwHour. Even daft stuff like Mushrooms are up by 20% plus.

There's a debate to be had about the increasing corporate domination of the event but I saw that as inevitable a number of years back. Once they're in, that's that.

The biggest gripe, apart from the cost rises, appears to be the PR and the way it's been handled. As I wrote last night, there's never a good time for bad news but just how would you have wanted it put to you and when?

As for the ridiculous comment about wanting this to fail. Words almost fail me, but I'll say this. Careful what you wish for. I can just see the email now...

Due to a reduction in interest in the FRIAT enclosure, we have decided to remodel this to become the....Insert Corporate Entity....Stand for Family and friends of said entity.
Once it's gone, it's gone.

Pat

Light Chop

Post by Light Chop »

Andyph wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:58 am
On a different note if costs are such a factor it seems RIAT are not maximising the outlay on some of the civilian participants it seems to me.

In this instance, I’d suggest that’s not true. To quote the update that was provided when announced;

‘The Swedes are coming! We're appreciative to SAAB for supporting the Swedish Air Force Historic Flight to deploy a number of their jets to join the RIAT 2022 static displays.’

Certainly sounds like SAAB are footing the bill; unsurprising as long term sponsors/supporters.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Light Chop wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 9:06 am
Andyph wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:58 am

In this instance, I’d suggest that’s not true. To quote the update that was provided when announced;

‘The Swedes are coming! We're appreciative to SAAB for supporting the Swedish Air Force Historic Flight to deploy a number of their jets to join the RIAT 2022 static displays.’

Certainly sounds like SAAB are footing the bill; unsurprising as long term sponsors/supporters.
OK - if thats the case - fair play.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Pat Murphy wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 9:06 am
R4118 wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:43 am
Tommy wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:28 am
Andyph wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:23 am

There are plenty of other options to watch the Fairford display - P+V and various naughty fields as well as normal show tickets - It actually is a great way to chop and change over a few days and costs a lot less.
I daresay a decent number will do exactly that.

It belies the point that most/all FRIATers *want* to contribute to RIAT. We love the show and we care about it, obviously.

Otherwise they’d already be doing naughty fields. That’s sort of the point - FRIATers are very happy to contribute to the show and to pay, even the premium (though as has been noted we’ve been paying a bit more for less for some years now), but they also don’t want to get unfairly shafted.

That’s the nub of the issue.
Other option it will be.

I am a FRIAT member since the mid nineties, but it will end in 2022. The ticketprice for 2023 is the reason : 3 0 0 pounds for the "cheap" seats??????
Think I will pass for next year and move a few feet to the Viewing Village grandstand. And PV on monday.

A purely rational decision,
but with enormous pain in my heart and a lump in my throat.....

Now just praying that the weather will be kind to us this year.
Before you throw the baby out with the bathwater, nobody has seen next year's rates for other areas of the show. What seems like an excessive price hike now, might seem a lot more reasonable when they're published and at least FRIAT members get to know the rate a year in advance.

Ok, I get it a lot aren't happy but step into the real world. Costs are up! Ignore inflation, it's a headline number. Try real world economics. I'll give you just a few examples from my "Real World" business.
Insurance (try running an accommodation business without it!) Last year £1100. This year, they're having the Business Interruption claims back....£1600 and believe me. I shop around!!
Electric: Hedged mine 2 years ago at 12.5 Pence per KWHour. Deal finished last October just as things kicked off. Now it's at the Cap and forecast in October to rise to 29 pence per KwHour. Even daft stuff like Mushrooms are up by 20% plus.

There's a debate to be had about the increasing corporate domination of the event but I saw that as inevitable a number of years back. Once they're in, that's that.

The biggest gripe, apart from the cost rises, appears to be the PR and the way it's been handled. As I wrote last night, there's never a good time for bad news but just how would you have wanted it put to you and when?

As for the ridiculous comment about wanting this to fail. Words almost fail me, but I'll say this. Careful what you wish for. I can just see the email now...

Due to a reduction in interest in the FRIAT enclosure, we have decided to remodel this to become the....Insert Corporate Entity....Stand for Family and friends of said entity.
Once it's gone, it's gone.

Pat
I would argue though that if the day tickets increase in line, that will put them at such a high price that it seems inconceivable that the show will even survive.

Therefore, if we are to believe that the show has a future, FRIAT would appear to be paying for it.

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 7:26 am
The equivalent five day spotter package at Zeltweg (reportedly superior to FRIAT), is €250.
But then normal entry is free at Zeltweg, so might not be a totally fair comparison.
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

G-CVIX wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 9:02 am
Additionally, I really don't see why we are constantly comparing RIAT to concerts or football matches when it is neither. Compare it to other airshows, or the comparison is completely invalid.
I think it comes down to them thinking that most families have an "Entertainment " budget and class a day/weekend at RIAT as part of this. I agree they're different and appeal in some cases to different people but all comes from the same pot as it were.

When it comes to FRIAT members paying for the increase, I don't know how many members there are but it would need to be a lot. If prices rise across the board.
250,000 people at £82 = £20.5 million
Say 500 members at £350 = £175,000.
No comparison really

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

rockfordstone wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:44 am
so i had a chance to read the email properly and i have a number of queries that it doesn't seem to answer.

this is my first FRIAT experience, and by the looks of it, i am being asked to decide whether it is good enough for me to commit to doing it again next year on the first day i experience it. I know they are looking out to long standing supporters with this, but it looks like they are asking us to commit to next years show before we've even had this one.

with the price banding. there's no context to what the bands actually mean. i'm assuming the higher the seating row the higher the band? but where will my seat in row D?

is there no ability to pay direct debit? or am i expect to just hand them over £375 quid for a completely unknown product?

i appreciate costs go up, but it feels at the moment like they are using the good will of FRIAT members to subsidise them.

not going to lie, its taken the shine of my first foray into FRIAT
You're absolutely right, the email is muddled and doesn't make key points clear. It looks as though we will spend Thursday morning queueing and buying seats for next year rather than enjoying the airshow we're there for. Previously we picked up a form, filled it in at our leisure and dropped it in a box. The FRIAT team must be dreading this as much as we are.

As others have said, a price rise was inevitable and nobody would dispute that. But I also agree strongly with the common sense approach of increasing the number of Mach 3s, while maintaining some 2s and even 1s, and applying a reasonable pay increase across the board. The only reason to introduce a more complex system is to maximise profit, what else could it be?

Above all, when we are all so excited for this year's show, this absolute gaffe of an announcement comes along to raise all sorts of speculation and worry. Shocking timing and terrible PR.

Once again, its not just that prices are going up, at all.

Oh, and, in order to keep up the FRIAT experience I've enjoyed so much over the years, and to the same standard, I need to find over 350 quid next week.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Pat Murphy wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 9:44 am
G-CVIX wrote:
I think it comes down to them thinking that most families have an "Entertainment " budget and class a day/weekend at RIAT as part of this. I agree they're different and appeal in some cases to different people but all comes from the same pot as it were.

When it comes to FRIAT members paying for the increase, I don't know how many members there are but it would need to be a lot. If prices rise across the board.
No comparison really
Oh, I absolutely don't think that FRIAT members are actually paying for the increase. My point was more that if prices go up in line, surely the airshow is in big, big trouble. We've always been told how much more the show relies on the so-called "joe public". Can you imagine anyone with only a casual interest in aviation shelling out in excess of £80 for one ticket? I can't.
Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 9:51 am
You're absolutely right, the email is muddled and doesn't make key points clear. It looks as though we will spend Thursday morning queueing and buying seats for next year rather than enjoying the airshow we're there for. Previously we picked up a form, filled it in at our leisure and dropped it in a box. The FRIAT team must be dreading this as much as we are.
Assuming I choose to renew, I will be doing it on Friday morning and going for B or C most likely. I'm not going to spoil my experience of this show in order to get a marginally better seat. What would be really nice is if we were told what we were buying and what the different levels of membership include.

How does this affect those that choose to sit on the grass below the grandstand?

What's depressing is that I could conceivably spend £50 MORE than this year, and go from Row A, to the bottom row where the guard rail has been known to obscure the view.
Last edited by G-CVIX on Fri 01 Jul 2022, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Berf

Post by Berf »

The mail says you have to pay when you book.

Your early booking form will be available on Thursday 14th July 2022, complete with information on order processing. Your seat for 2023 will be allocated and you will be charged at the time of booking.

All orders placed at the show will be processed and seats allocated before FRIAT tickets go on sale to the general public.

I take the above to mean that if you want whatever seat you have been allocated you better book - and pay then.

But why? Unless they are planning on releasing all seats to the public say, the week after, why can't you wait until a certain date perhaps a week before they go on public sale to pay? It is somewhat friendlier to allow at least some time for people to pay.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Wayyyyy back in 2014, I posted a thread in the airshow photography section, including this photograph......and Stagger's response!!!!
:joy: :rofl: :joy:
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Berf

Post by Berf »

As CVIX says we need to know before the event what we are paying for in clear terms with any confirmation on direct debits, general sale rates etc sorted out, or there will be a long queue of people on the day getting increasingly irritated with possibly volunteers who have no answers as management has failed inform the 'Friends' let alone them in right way at the right time of what's happening.

coanda

Post by coanda »

At least you guys got an email.

Just received the email....

I already paid £300 odd for Mach 3 this year and would have done around about that in the past. I'm not able to buy tickets for that amount so soon after having purchased this years ticket, and there was a plan to go with the old man again. Lots of money. Not sure it'll be doable.
Last edited by coanda on Fri 01 Jul 2022, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

G-CVIX wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 10:21 am
Pat Murphy wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 9:44 am
G-CVIX wrote:

No comparison really
Oh, I absolutely don't think that FRIAT members are actually paying for the increase. My point was more that if prices go up in line, surely the airshow is in big, big trouble. We've always been told how much more the show relies on the so-called "joe public". Can you imagine anyone with only a casual interest in aviation shelling out in excess of £80 for one ticket? I can't.
Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 9:51 am
Assuming I choose to renew, I will be doing it on Friday morning and going for B or C most likely. I'm not going to spoil my experience of this show in order to get a marginally better seat. What would be really nice is if we were told what we were buying and what the different levels of membership include.

How does this affect those that choose to sit on the grass below the grandstand?

What's depressing is that I could conceivably spend £50 MORE than this year, and go from Row A, to the bottom row where the guard rail has been known to obscure the view.
Can I see Joe Public shelling out £160 for a family of two adults and two kids, for a full day of entertainment? Let's face it, it's been a very long time since RIAT was solely about Aircraft and when a day out at a theme park costs over £200 for a family, well yes probably and I'll bet so can RIAT. Nige is right about the queuing and associated chaos on Thursday though, but I predict no shortage of takers. The main gripe as you and Nige both point out, is the PR. It's been woeful considering this was apparently not even discussed at the FRIAT forum.

One thing that has occurred to me about the DD issue. Will they now come under the auspices of improved consumer protection and treated as a Credit agreement? Under new legislation, not sure if it's in force yet, "lenders" will be required to carry out affordability checks. This may fall outside the act but I'm not certain. Anyone on here know the facts on this?? Obviously, that would entail significant cost for RIAT to check this. :grimacing:

Foggy32

Post by Foggy32 »

One thing that has occurred to me about the DD issue. Will they now come under the auspices of improved consumer protection and treated as a Credit agreement? Under new legislation, not sure if it's in force yet, "lenders" will be required to carry out affordability checks. This may fall outside the act but I'm not certain. Anyone on here know the facts on this?? Obviously, that would entail significant cost for RIAT to check this. :grimacing:
[/quote]

Good point Pat, but it goes back to the awfully worded email doesn't it.

For me, there is no chance of me shelling out £600+ on the same week as this years for Airshow, however, if FRIAT was looking at different payment options and not just a one-off card payment that would be an option for me. So for example Paypal Pay in 3 allows those who wish to kind of spread the cost a little.

Also, I am not complaining about the price increase, I would have expected an increase for my Mach 3 package anyway.
Sony A7 III
Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6 Di III RXD
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 Sports DG DN OS

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Pat Murphy wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 11:00 am
The main gripe as you and Nige both point out, is the PR. It's been woeful considering this was apparently not even discussed at the FRIAT forum.
That’s what grates.

We’re expected to part with significant amounts of hard earned, with very little warning, and we don’t even know what the banding system is or means.

And they’ve left it so late, they’re probably too busy organising the 2022 show to have time to properly address the numerous questions their email raises.

It’ll depend on the discount and everything else - if Band D is applied with the loyalty discount and ends up being around £270, then that’s probably in line with the price increase I expected to have to pay - but does Band D mean I’ll be bottom of the grandstand now? What rows are covered? If I book early enough to be “top end” of Band D, what row is that, for example? Who knows. Where does Band A run to? Top two rows? Band B? Etc.

So many questions that need answering. I’d still prefer to do FRIAT and contribute to the show if I can, but how on earth does anyone know from that email what they’re paying for?

Logster

Post by Logster »

I am not a FRIAT member so at the moment this doesn't impact on me. However, i am sure the day ticket price rises will also be fairly hefty which may make me think twice in years to come. I guess RIAT will have looked in to this but as far as i am aware tickets for kids are still free. Would charging say a tenner for a kids ticket and keeping the rise in day ticket prices and FRIAT more modest be a better way of spreading the burden of increased costs?
Not sure - i have 3 kids and have taken them to other airshows that charge for them and i would always expect to pay for them. Was always surprised that RIAT was free. Now they are all teenagers they're not interested anymore anyway but i would have been prepared to pay.

Perhaps that would be too much of a PR disaster though......

verreli

Post by verreli »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:52 am
I always found the comparisons to F1 or football or gigs or Alton Towers a bit of a red herring. We’re not talking about any of them, we’re talking about airshows.
For me its about spending your hard earned disposable income on entertainment. Our entertainment choice just happens to be airshows but it all falls in the same category. There may be value associated with the entertainment e.g. someone singing you a song may be valued more than someone piloting an aircraft and only you can decide what that value is to you, but the principle stands.

Bit OT but I often have debates with people about why footballers are so well paid. Many see them as sports stars. I see them as part of the entertainment industry. F1 is a bit different because the drivers are also brand ambassadors.

BTW I can empathise with the comments in this thread.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 11:14 am
So many questions that need answering. I’d still prefer to do FRIAT and contribute to the show if I can, but how on earth does anyone know from that email what they’re paying for?
I'm with you. my biggest issue isn't the price increase, i accept when i go to RIAT its going to cost me, i treat it as a week's holiday so i can accept the cost.

what i don't know is what am i being expected to pay for at this stage

Cole

Post by Cole »

Has COVID made organisers forget how to do PR?!

Really can't believe this, what a way to crap on your most loyal supporters.

I was considering FRIAT next year but, Ill enjoy my stay at totters :grinning:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

frank

Post by frank »

Berf wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 6:23 am
Ben Dunnell tweets that there is a general underestimation of the costs of staging an airshow. He may be right. But that's not going to change unless there's communication. Wissam says above that there was no justification provided for the massive price increase and the tone of the email - he is right. As Friends of RIAT communication is essential. The meeting did not discuss price increases -apparently - but I wouldn't know as we never got the promised notes and rely on others to pass on information - again no communication of what matters. This is not the way to treat friends and supporters laying out large sums well in advance for something that, as others allude to, may be washed out or may not have the rare aircraft most of us seek. RIAT has some highly professional people working or volunteering for it - with regards communication and management of it they are not doing their jobs and are damaging RIATs relationship with key customers.
I would hope the price increases are shared equally amongst all tickets and not just using FRIAT as a cash cow. Also I wonder if they have factored in a reduced demand for FRIAT packages next year and if it still takes in enough money to cover that possibility. As I read it 30% of FRIAT packages this year are not Mach 3 so I am thinking that those 30% won`t up their expenditure or holiday commitments to justify that it.
I wonder if the Mods could hold a straw poll of FRIAT members to see what % wont take up a FRIAT package. If enough people respond to be statistically significant then we will see how popular this might be.
I or others could easily do a statistical analysis if there are enough responses assuming we are representative of the whole population.