Big jet TV YouTube channel

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
googlehead

Re: Big jet TV YouTube channel

Post by googlehead »

Very much enjoyed his show at Coningsby today. His commitment to travel and wait around for hours on end for his viewers is commendable, and that is how he’s been able to make a living from it. Sad reality is the people who are most at grief with the man and his shows, are the ones who are most envious that he has made a nice living doing what they would love to do.

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

googlehead wrote:
Thu 25 Jun 2020, 10:42 pm
Very much enjoyed his show at Coningsby today. His commitment to travel and wait around for hours on end for his viewers is commendable, and that is how he’s been able to make a living from it. Sad reality is the people who are most at grief with the man and his shows, are the ones who are most envious that he has made a nice living doing what they would love to do.
There is nothing about Jerry I am envious of at all.
Not sad at all to point out this man has created a channel charging people to subscribe to watch dreary footage from locations while ignoring all advise from the government regarding Covid 19 (claiming he is a journalist)
I do understand his appeal to Joe Public, but I personally feel you cannot create an empire when he clearly doesn't know what he is doing.
Lakes Lightning Collection

googlehead

Post by googlehead »

As the saying goes 'You've only got to know 1% more than the person you're talking to, to be an expert in their eyes' I think this applies to 99.99% of the population who are not knowledgeable aviation enthusiasts, and that is who he's targeting. If he can allow people to fall in love with aviation then that's great!

I am by no means saying his channel or commentary is perfect, but i just think the sooner that people who seem to dislike him realize they aren't his target audience the better.

As for that FB page that tries to humiliate the man and ruin his business.. that's honestly one of the most embarrassing and shameful things I've ever seen for all involved. Grown men?

CJS

Post by CJS »

googlehead wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 8:46 am
As the saying goes 'You've only got to know 1% more than the person you're talking to, to be an expert in their eyes' I think this applies to 99.99% of the population who are not knowledgeable aviation enthusiasts, and that is who he's targeting. If he can allow people to fall in love with aviation then that's great!

I am by no means saying his channel or commentary is perfect, but i just think the sooner that people who seem to dislike him realize they aren't his target audience the better.

As for that FB page that tries to humiliate the man and ruin his business.. that's honestly one of the most embarrassing and shameful things I've ever seen for all involved. Grown men?
Or women?

Anyway, I think whoever suggested that FB page was set up by himself anyway probably had a good point!
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

chrisward123 wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 7:38 am
googlehead wrote:
Not sad at all to point out this man has created a channel charging people to subscribe to watch dreary footage from locations while ignoring all advise from the government regarding Covid 19 (claiming he is a journalist)
I do understand his appeal to Joe Public, but I personally feel you cannot create an empire when he clearly doesn't know what he is doing.
I am not into civvie in a big way but I don't think he makes many mistakes on airliner recognition as far as I can see, and that is his main passion it seems. What makes the footage dreary may I ask? Lots of people (including me) find it quite interesting, judging by the busy YouTube chat channel during a show.

As for covid restrictions, I know he did one Heathrow show under lockdown but he said that was a press assignment to cover PPE for the Express so I did not think it was a huge rule break.

Other than that he operates on top of a van in a car park or field so no breaking of social distancing I can see.

Much of his output is free to view so no-one is being forced to pay the guy a penny ( he even streamed Coningsby free yesterday )

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

UKTopgun wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 11:51 am
chrisward123 wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 7:38 am
googlehead wrote:
I am not into civvie in a big way but I don't think he makes many mistakes on airliner recognition as far as I can see, and that is his main passion it seems. What makes the footage dreary may I ask? Lots of people (including me) find it quite interesting, judging by the busy YouTube chat channel during a show.

As for covid restrictions, I know he did one Heathrow show under lockdown but he said that was a press assignment to cover PPE for the Express so I did not think it was a huge rule break.

Other than that he operates on top of a van in a car park or field so no breaking of social distancing I can see.

Much of his output is free to view so no-one is being forced to pay the guy a penny ( he even streamed Coningsby free yesterday )
Dreary Footage... constantly panning the camera round and in and out of focus and moving camera away from main event.
He rambles on in between dreary footage, not having a clue what he is talking about.
Regarding Social Distancing he has been photographed with his 'fans' with his arm around them.
I am not sure you could include him as a journalist, think he is using the journalist card as an excuse personally.
No one is forced to pay but people are always subscribing and when you pay and sign up the whole chat says 'thank you john'... sheep.
He also has his own merchandise.

I can see the appeal, I would be more inclined to subscribe/pay to watch an better photographer go live on Youtube who has a more in depth knowledge of what is going on... my main concern is Jerry comes across pretending to be one.
Lakes Lightning Collection

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Well it seems plenty of people don't find the shows dreary and you mention a better photographer doing a similar thing, pretty sure there isn't one. Unless I am missing something.
No one forces you to watch, I just don't get those on here who knock him, just don't watch, simple.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Try Daz at Aviation in action, better photographer/videographer, better knowledge & an all round better guy
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Domvickery wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 2:48 pm
Try Daz at Aviation in action, better photographer/videographer, better knowledge & an all round better guy
Not heard of him but perhaps if his output is of high quality he needs to raise his profile, like BJTV has.
Looking at comparisons of YouTube views shows he seriously needs to get more subscribers, most of his vids are in the low hundreds for views, BJTV seem to get up to 50k views for some shows, often more.
Also I know it is subjective but this Daz guy was hardly an engaging presenter sorry. Your average punter values being entertained over someone who never makes a mistake ( who doesn't? ) but does not make them laugh

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Domvickery wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 2:48 pm
I had a look at his recent Coningsby stream and found that the video was very jerky and the commentary was extremely bland.
Not something that I'd particularly want to watch, whether free or not!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Is it true that Big Jet TV claimed that the BBMF crashed one of their Hurricanes at Shoreham during his live stream at Coningsby?

Presumably confusing the BBMF planes with the Brian Brown accident.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

UKTopgun wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 3:34 pm
Your average punter values being entertained over someone who never makes a mistake ( who doesn't? ) but does not make them laugh
A fair point. What jokes does he tell?

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I don't mean he tells jokes as such, but he comes over as a likeable and engaging bloke. I have seen that some have an axe to grind for various reasons which I don't know the history of but I judge him on the shows alone, having never met the man.

Nowadays, to be a successful vlogger it is not just about your knowledge, of course that is a part, but also it's about the whole package. BJTV is the first to bring such a well rounded package to the public as far as I can see.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It seems that some do have an axe to grind, it also appears (not so much on here, but certainly on social media) that he has some equally devoted fans who think he can do no wrong.

Personally, I’m not that interested in live-streaming of this sort of nature, but I’m not sure I begrudge those that do, and those that want pay to watch his stuff.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Exactly, I sometimes watch his shows by dipping in but would probably not sit through the whole 6 or 8 hours. He saw a gap in the market, filled it and fair play to him. I don't think he can do no wrong, on the contrary he has made errors, but just wanted to defend him from the bashing he was getting here that is all. If he does make a mistake he is the first to say so.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Tommy wrote:
Sat 27 Jun 2020, 6:03 am
Is it true that Big Jet TV claimed that the BBMF crashed one of their Hurricanes at Shoreham during his live stream at Coningsby?

Presumably confusing the BBMF planes with the Brian Brown accident.
Yes, that's what he said.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

UKTopgun wrote:
Sat 27 Jun 2020, 6:22 am
If he does make a mistake he is the first to say so.
Is he though? From what I gather most criticism results in the person responsible being blocked or banned
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Wissam24 wrote:
Sat 27 Jun 2020, 8:23 pm
UKTopgun wrote:
Sat 27 Jun 2020, 6:22 am
If he does make a mistake he is the first to say so.
Is he though? From what I gather most criticism results in the person responsible being blocked or banned
I guess it depends on how you go about correcting him? If you're going to be obnoxious and rant at him for his mistake, then he'd probably get a bit narked and block you, but if you explain things reasonably then it seems he's happy to be corrected.

That seemed to be the case when someone corrected him on Twitter during the Coningsby stream about the Hurricane crash, and he verbally informed the audience about it and didn't seem at all annoyed.

He does seem to get in a hissy fit about the people who deliberately give him thumbs down on every stream though, when i think he'd be better off just ignoring it completely and not reacting to them.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Yes he did make an error saying a BBMF Hurricane crashed at Shoreham when it was a Breighton based machine piloted by Brian Brown as I recall. But from what I saw of the Coningsby show he was not bad on his facts generally.
He is quite new to military hence discussing basic differences between Spit and Hurri etc. But of course some of that will be for the benefit of the audience.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

UKTopgun wrote:
Sun 28 Jun 2020, 5:32 pm
Yes he did make an error saying a BBMF Hurricane crashed at Shoreham when it was a Breighton based machine piloted by Brian Brown as I recall. But from what I saw of the Coningsby show he was not bad on his facts generally.
He is quite new to military hence discussing basic differences between Spit and Hurri etc. But of course some of that will be for the benefit of the audience.
He said that he had been to the Shoreham airshow and saw the 'BBMF Flight' (he kept saying 'BBMF Flight' all day because he doesn't know that the 'F' in BBMF stands for 'Flight'!) Lancaster and Spitfire go over him while he was driving home, so he knew then that the 'BBMF Flight's' Hurricane had crashed as he'd seen all 3 arrive.
That sort of incorrect info is absorbed into his supporters tiny little brain cells and makes them all think that the BBMF is unsafe, maybe he should publicly apologise to the BBMF?

A man of his age with his huge amount of aviation 'knowledge' should be able to tell the difference between a Hurricane and a Spitfire instantly, I really don't know how anyone can try and defend him.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Yes he was adamant and yes he was wrong re the BBMF, I do not defend that, but as you can tell from his main YouTube channel, civvie is his main area of knowledge, he has started to dabble in mil but not really his bag.

My wider point is borne out by this kind of reply, enthusiasts criticising a successful hobbyist and taking the 'I know more than you' attitude. Did you know everything there is to know about aviation from the first day you looked at an aeroplane?

This guy runs around 3 live shows a week across the country, usually 6 hours plus, mostly for free. I think that shows his passion and I enjoy some of his stuff.

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

I don’t like his stuff but accept others do. I deal with it by not watching anything he puts out. I avoid going to One Direction concerts for the same reason.
Ken

CJS

Post by CJS »

Ken Shabby wrote:
Sun 28 Jun 2020, 8:49 pm
I don’t like his stuff but accept others do. I deal with it by not watching anything he puts out. I avoid going to One Direction concerts for the same reason.
I hate to break it to you Ken, but...no, I can't it's still all too much :sob: :rofl:
UKTopgun wrote:
Sun 28 Jun 2020, 7:33 pm
Yes he was adamant and yes he was wrong re the BBMF, I do not defend that, but as you can tell from his main YouTube channel, civvie is his main area of knowledge, he has started to dabble in mil but not really his bag.

My wider point is borne out by this kind of reply, enthusiasts criticising a successful hobbyist and taking the 'I know more than you' attitude. Did you know everything there is to know about aviation from the first day you looked at an aeroplane?

This guy runs around 3 live shows a week across the country, usually 6 hours plus, mostly for free. I think that shows his passion and I enjoy some of his stuff.
Of course not, but then I wouldn't have dreamed of starting a YT channel and charging people for content if I didn't know the difference between a Spitfire and a Hurricane.

To claim - on a YT channel with (I presume) thousands of viewers (I'm not going to become one just so I can check the numbers) - that an aircraft from the BBMF Flight' :face_vomiting: has crashed is like asking for trouble to be honest. Makes the Daily Mail look like consummate pros. If you can't be bothered to get a fact as important as this right, you have no business running an aviation YT channel. At least, if he must do it (and he's perfectly free to, I can see that) then stick to what you know and leave the military stuff alone until you know what you're talking about.

I know, I know, I don't have to watch etc etc blah blah...

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

But he does know the difference between a Hurricane and a Spitfire.
The error he made was an incorrect recollection from 2007 re which aeroplane crashed at Shoreham.
That was an honest mistake, no-one is suggesting otherwise.

And most of his stuff is free, as is being repeatedly stated.

He can hardly be categorised as being like The Daily Mail for one mistake.

People are very damning of someone trying something different and more to the point, being quite successful.
Shame this hobby is not a bit more tolerant sometimes.

CJS

Post by CJS »

UKTopgun wrote:
Mon 29 Jun 2020, 8:02 am
But he does know the difference between a Hurricane and a Spitfire.
The error he made was an incorrect recollection from 2007 re which aeroplane crashed at Shoreham.
That was an honest mistake, no-one is suggesting otherwise.

And most of his stuff is free, as is being repeatedly stated.

He can hardly be categorised as being like The Daily Mail for one mistake.

People are very damning of someone trying something different and more to the point, being quite successful.
Shame this hobby is not a bit more tolerant sometimes.
Yeah OK, that's fair enough I guess.

I just don't like him, is that ok? Anyway, time for one of these :pinkwafer: