New Look UKAR

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: New Look UKAR

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Thanks for all the feedback. Just to answer a few points:

UKTopgun wrote:Yes the font adds modernity, not so keen on the red that creates a large cap L to me, overall decent!

I've tried to preserve some of the old feel of the forum and kept it on the blue background - there's a subtle change in colour between the logo and background. The alternative is either white demarcation lines, or to lighten up the entire header and use the blue version of the logo like this:

Flare Path wrote:Smart new design - logo is an improvement too. Unsure how the site handles embedded photos, but not all of them display correctly using Edge (been a problem for a while now).

Nothing has changed for about 10 years now - it's the same version of phpBB3 we've been running for years, and all images are hot-linked from third-party sites like Flickr. If images don't load in Edge, it's the browser with the issue. Edge might only have an issue with this version of phpBB3, I don't know, but we'll be looking at upgrading to the latest version of the software when the move to the new server is completed. Someone else is dealing with that side of things, I just make things look pretty. :grin:

RAF4EVER wrote:Looks OK,is it me,or is the text larger,or is it a font?

Both - found a new font to freshen it up and made it one size larger. Can be reduced again if people prefer the old size. Line-height has increased slightly too, to hopefully make it easier to read.

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Looks good, but in all honesty, i'd be more concerned that your web site isn't secure, than changing the look.

As already mentioned, this will be coming when we switch to a new server. There is no personal data stored other than an email address - registration requires no name, no phone number, no payment information, and actively posting to the forum requires you to send none of that either, so I'm not sure why it matters so much? Again, once the move is finalised, it will be with an SSL anyway, so it's coming. We can rush the transfer, and lose 10 years worth of posting history stored in the database, or make sure we do everything we can to transfer the archives with it.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:There is no personal data stored other than an email address
No passwords (that might be the same ones that someone uses on other sites)?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

austinp

Post by austinp »

Liking the new site a lot.

I know some folks don’t like the plane on the new logo, but it’s the future, so keep it I say.

DSAF

Post by DSAF »

aviodromefriend wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:There is no personal data stored other than an email address
No passwords (that might be the same ones that someone uses on other sites)?

Dont worry, I use the same software they do, they cannot see your password as it is encrypted within the database.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Still transfers that password over plain text though, so fairly easy to intercept with a man in the middle attack.

Personally I can't think of any reason NOT to use SSL nowadays, even if you use Let's Encrypt or Clourdflare's free offerings.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

As stated already, I just do the branding side of things so you'll be needing to speak to someone else about the technicalities of the back-end stuff. The new server has SSL - we need to get this installation of the forum ready for transfer to try and retain the post archives and from what I understood from the old server guy, there were a couple of mods installed to this forum that had caused some difficulties in that area. The current set-up is how it was when we inherited it from the old owners - it will change when we move. Again, I can't give detail on when that will be, you'd have to ask those responsible for that side of the operation.

If you're worried about security certificates, the easiest solution is not to use the same passwords for trivial sites like forums as you would do for important personal stuff like banking - that should see you through and ease your worries until everything has migrated.

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

:clap: :up:

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Very good. Like the new look. Easy to read text front and text height is just. Agree with the new logo very smart. I would be happy to purchase car stickers or luggage labels if any were to be produced.

CJS

Post by CJS »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:...from what I understood from the old server guy, there were a couple of mods installed to this forum that had caused some difficulties in that area.

I bet we can guess who they might have been :grin: :win:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

That's modifications, rather than moderators, but you knew that... :cuppa:

CJS

Post by CJS »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:That's modifications, rather than moderators, but you knew that... :cuppa:

I'm afraid I did :king:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

Will you be doing merchandise like mugs and caps with new logo on
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

It looks good. Only 1 very minor first world problem point from me. On iPad, if viewing in landscape the text is way too big and there’s no way to make it smaller that I can find. Not really a problem, as in portrait it’s fine.

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

My spies suggest the look is not that new....

ImageWho Do You Think You Are Kidding by John Dixon, on Flickr

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Mictheslik wrote:It looks good. Only 1 very minor first world problem point from me. On iPad, if viewing in landscape the text is way too big and there’s no way to make it smaller that I can find. Not really a problem, as in portrait it’s fine.

.mic

I'll look into that next week, but it's not something I've been able to replicate on an iPad 2, iPad Air or iPad Air2...? :dunno: There's no reason why it should change.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

FarnboroJohn wrote:My spies suggest the look is not that new....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The old logo was a much more convincing substitute though...

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

craig.mason wrote:Will you be doing merchandise like mugs and caps with new logo on

It can be looked at in future, but we'd need to have some idea of quantities before we could place anything. We don't want to be left holding stock.

DOUGHNUT wrote:I would be happy to purchase car stickers or luggage labels if any were to be produced.

I think the logo lends itself to rubber keyrings - some of those might be a possibility. Again, not for the immediate future though as we have other things to focus on first.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

FarnboroJohn wrote:My spies suggest the look is not that new....

You need one with a Spitfire.... (then that one maybe can be used at the Duxford and Old Warden forums?)
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Has there been an update today which has involved increasing the font size and some other tweaks, or have I clicked on something by mistake?

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Big Eric wrote:Has there been an update today which has involved increasing the font size and some other tweaks, or have I clicked on something by mistake?

It’s the normal size for me.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Tmyers123 wrote:
Big Eric wrote:Has there been an update today which has involved increasing the font size and some other tweaks, or have I clicked on something by mistake?

It’s the normal size for me.

Is that on a mobile phone or a PC? I'm talking about a PC.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Sounds like you've now got the new style, which is a bigger font and bigger line spacing.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

cg_341 wrote:Sounds like you've now got the new style, which is a bigger font and bigger line spacing.

It's awful, it looks like its designed for people that refuse to believe that the need reading glasses. :lol:

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Sorry, I can't hear you, can you speak up?

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

cg_341 wrote:Sorry, I can't hear you, can you speak up?

Tuesday.