Polish AF Mig 29s

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Graf Zeppelin

Polish AF Mig 29s

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

I was informed today that the Polish AF grounded their Mig 29s back in April permanently after recent accidents. Could this be so? Can any of our Polish members confirm?
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

PeterR

Re: Polish AF Mig 29s

Post by PeterR »

Can't confirm the 'permanent' grounding, but they've been grounded for the majority of 2019. :sad:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I'm not Polish, but from my Polish contacts I've heard that they're actually ready to fly again but are waiting the proper authorisation from the MoD, which is being kicked down the road a bit for political reasons.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

T_J

Post by T_J »

From Aug 9th, 2019

Poland could finally retire its obsolete Soviet-era MiG-29 fighter jets, reported the Polish newspaper Dziennik Gazeta Prawna.

The Polish Air Force has not used MiG-29s since the start of March, when one of the aircraft crashed. The pilot was able to eject himself, but usage of the planes has been suspended since then.

This is not the first time that the Polish military has suspended the use of MiG-29s in connection with a crash.

Poland is already in possession of post-Soviet Su-22s and American F-16s. However, no more than 20% of Poland’s 48 American fighters are in a state of good repair.

It is not yet clear whether use of the MiG-29s will resume. Apparently, no one wants to take responsibility for this decision.

The politicians from the ruling Law and Justice party who are involved in defense matters are also skeptical of the Soviet fighters.

“I’m 90% sure that these planes won’t come back before elections. I also doubt that it will happen before the end of the year. I consider it more likely that they will never come back,” one politician remarked.

“The decision regarding the possibility, the conditions and the timeline for a possible resumption of flights will be made after an examination of all studies, conclusions, recommendations and preventative measures. A starting point for future steps is to determine whether it is safe to use the fleet,” the Polish Defense Ministry told the news agency.

The Polish Defense Ministry is currently implementing its “Harpia” program to acquire multi-role fighters to replace the obsolete Soviet-era MiG-29 and Su-22 aircraft.

From

https://www.uawire.org/poland-could-finally-get-rid-of-soviet-era-mig-29-fighters

Mr. Crusher

Post by Mr. Crusher »

T_J wrote:Apparently, no one wants to take responsibility for this decision.

“I’m 90% sure that these planes won’t come back before elections.

And this is the most important part. There will be parliamentary elections in Poland in October and presidental elections in Spring 2020. The ruling party doesn't want to take a risk, another Mig's incident before elections would have negative consequences for the government. In my opinion we will know more about Fulcrums' future after presidental elections.

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

If the Mig-29s have been grounded since March how have the pilots maintained their currency ?
Surely a lost cause ?

Rich.B

Post by Rich.B »

So if they are running at 20% with the F16 thats 9 aircraft. If they have the mis fortune to have a accident with one of those and ground the fleet then what.

Mr. Crusher

Post by Mr. Crusher »

Information about 20% F-16 is not a true, I don't know if it's a part of election campaign to create fake news or just a mistake, but for sure much more F-16s is flying at Krzesiny and Łask air bases.

XP282

Post by XP282 »

Mr. Crusher wrote:Information about 20% F-16 is not a true, I don't know if it's a part of election campaign to create fake news or just a mistake, but for sure much more F-16s is flying at Krzesiny and Łask air bases.

Yes, but the fact that more than 20% of the F16’s are flying, doesn't necessarily mean that they are fully functioning or combat ready.

Regarding currency for the Mig 29pilots. Poland has an excellent Mig 29 simulator and it will work like all cases when people go out of currency.... the more experienced pilots will fly first and then check then rest of the squadron.

Berf

Post by Berf »

From the Aviationist

The US State Department issued a clearance for Poland to acquire the F-35 fifth-generation aircraft in a quantity of 32 examples on Sept. 11. Warsaw would be acquiring the F-35A CTOL (Conventional Take Off and Landing) variant at a price of USD 6.5 billion, according to the announcement made by DSCA (Defense Security Cooperation Agency).

The procurement is aimed at replacing the post-Soviet MiG-29 and Su-22 fleets in the Polish Air Force. Notably, the Fulcrums are still grounded due to the crashes and incidents happening last year, that saw the pilots injured or killed.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

32 Good uns' you say! The RAF should be requesting Exchange Postings with the Polish right now. It would be great for our pilots to try-out the 'A' model wot they should've had? :whistle:

Przemek

Post by Przemek »

Their future is unknown, but with each month it will be increasingly difficult to put them into service. They probably won't come back...

Pletwa

Post by Pletwa »

My best friend told me today. Lots of Polish Fulcrum pilots are gone from Polish Air Force. Probably Fulcrums don't be back. :sad:

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Pletwa wrote:My best friend told me today. Lots of Polish Fulcrum pilots are gone from Polish Air Force. Probably Fulcrums don't be back. :sad:

In England those Pilots are called 'Survivors'! :wink:

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Not related to the Polish, but another Mig 29 went down last night. Slovakian Air Force Mig 29 went down near the village of Nové Sady. Police seems to think a lack of fuel was the cause.

https://spectator.sme.sk/c/22224118/a-m ... nitra.html

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Wow! Those Slovakian Police could put the AAIB Farnborough out of business. Even the combined opinions & speculation of this Forum can't compare to that amazing level of insight & swift factual judgement. Respect! :worship: :whistle:

Mike

Post by Mike »

A Polish MiG-29 was reportedly up and flying yesterday.

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

Mike wrote:A Polish MiG-29 was reportedly up and flying yesterday.

Good news :up:
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

Draken

Post by Draken »

Unfortunately not, there was an airspace reservation in the system but no flights...
Still grounded.
However sim trainings are very intense in last weeks.

Mike

Post by Mike »

It seems that the Polish MiG-29s have now been cleared to resume flying