Question for BF 109 experts

Question for BF 109 experts

Postby pbeardmore on Sat 25 Jan 2020, 1:41 pm

I'm still working on a movie screenplay based on the warbirds scene. Trouble is, when is it finished, you can tweak and tweak.

There is a trick that some writers use to explain to the audience how good someone or something is. Rather than just say "they are good", they give them a unique skill that seperates them from the rest. The audience need to know little about the technical detail but it's the fact that it's unique. "It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs!" is a good example. What the hell does this mean to the viewer? Very little but is is THE ship so it works within the story. "We saw a Mig 28 do a 4g negative dive" another example. Last example, watched "I Tonya" last week and she was the only female ice skater to do a triple axel. The audience have know idea what an axel is but her uniqueness puts her at a higher level.

This also provides an explanation as to why the character maybe over confident/cocky as they are so skilled/expert. Anyway, back to the point.

The antagonist in my screenplay owns and displays a BF 109. I want there to be a rumour (or myth/lie) that the pilot can perform a certain aerobatic manouvre. Something that pushes the limit of the machine and the skill of the pilot. Something that is beyond the published limitations of the airframe (and therefore, display limitations) but something that could be done. The pilot is clever enough to never actually perform this in public and the rumours relate to small, private airfields with a select few witnesses. He neither confirms or denies the fact that he can pull this off but he loves the attention this brings. It also shows that he has a dissrespect for authority and can, under certain situatioins, possibly be wreckless. Alternatively, he spread the rumour himself, showing a level of insecurity within his own community.

BUT the manouvre has to be simple enough that the audience can understand what it is. So, what could this be? A stall turn? An outside loop? I'm no expert on the 109's limitations.

Disclaimer: There a many boxing fans who hate Rocky (it's simply not realistic) and there maybe forum members who think this all sounds far fetched, silly and cheesey. But give a a little artistic licence here. Cheese sells.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Re: Question for BF 109 experts

Postby FarnboroJohn on Sat 25 Jan 2020, 6:11 pm

I guess (in a 1940 context) there's the bunt, which the 109 could perform without losing power due to its fuel injection when the Spitfire and Hurricane couldn't. With the 109 equipped with slats for low-speed controllability it's also possible it could hit the brakes so an opponent would fly right by.... But I suspect your screenwriting ego is writing cheques your body can't cash..... :lol:

Good luck!
FarnboroJohn

Postby pbeardmore on Sat 25 Jan 2020, 7:47 pm

It beats watching Eastenders (what doesn't?)
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby jalfrezi on Mon 27 Jan 2020, 7:56 pm

Flick rolls are a potentially risky manoeuvre for WW2 fighters, I believe the 109 was capable of them whereas Spits and Mustangs were prohibited due to the potential for entering a power on spin. It basically consists of a hard pull back on the stick with full rudder which has the effect of flipping the aircraft onto its back, you can then repeat the manoeuvre to return to upright or enter a split s and reverse course.
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby pbeardmore on Tue 28 Jan 2020, 12:24 pm

Great reply, thanks
pbeardmore

Return to Aviation Waffle