Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Postby Southendnick on Fri 07 Feb 2020, 12:44 pm

Whilst it is only on social media so naturally until something is officially announced a friend who works on one of the larger aircraft has said that the whole site is to be given over to car storage including the area the aircraft are on.

If true, it would be a great loss of so many incredibly rare aircraft, the smaller aircraft could at some cost be removed but the large birds...
Spelling mistakes and grammatical error specialist

http://www.southendtimeline.com
User avatar
Southendnick

Re: Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Postby CJS on Fri 07 Feb 2020, 2:25 pm

Well they can fly the Victor out :hide:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
User avatar
CJS

Re: Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Postby boff180 on Fri 07 Feb 2020, 6:10 pm

I can only find one planning application on the system.... which was due for decision mid last month.

This application does not expand the area to be used for vehicle storage over what was granted in 1998.
This area does not include the runway.
There are a significant number of dispersals not included in the storage area.
The taxiways are not included in the application.

The application does alter a condition in the original 1998 application regarding the number of vehicles that can be stored on the site and/or total number of movements in or out of the site.

So unless someone can point me to something else, I'm calling this rumour a.... rumour.

Andy
User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Postby 106500 on Sat 08 Feb 2020, 10:14 am

While not stating a view on its merits either one way or another, such uncertainties do give credence to the informed decision taken by VTTS not to relocate a certain airframe to this place! :smile:
106500

Re: Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Postby GertrudetheMerciless on Sat 08 Feb 2020, 2:26 pm

106500 wrote:While not stating a view on its merits either one way or another, such uncertainties do give credence to the informed decision taken by VTTS not to relocate a certain airframe to this place! :smile:


Or you could take the view that the Vulcan would have enabled the development of a heritage facility with unrestricted runway use and good access. Lots of aeroplanes at Bruntingthorpe that would have been far more attractive alongside the Vulcan.

Anyway, as “informed” as a decision taken 5 years ago was, you assume the Vulcan was even welcome at Bruntingthorpe, considering what the Walton family did to save the aircraft and the thanks they got...
GertrudetheMerciless

Re: Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Postby Domvickery on Sat 08 Feb 2020, 3:19 pm

Can we not turn this into an XH558 thread please, there's more to Bruntingthorpe than an aircraft that isnt there
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale
Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Re: Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Postby Rich.B on Sat 08 Feb 2020, 4:54 pm

The museum as been closed at the weekend since before xmas. No weekend visitors for the aircraft area, due to works being carried out close to that area. Sure it will be only a tempeory measure. The airfield is going to be for many years to come with strong investment in the place with the test track. Sure the track will work hand in hand with this, just like it as over the last 30 years.
Rich.B

Re: Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Postby GertrudetheMerciless on Sat 08 Feb 2020, 6:54 pm

Domvickery wrote:Can we not turn this into an XH558 thread please, there's more to Bruntingthorpe than an aircraft that isnt there


He started it! :biggrin: :lol:

And personally, having donated much time, blood, sweat and tears to the aircraft resident at Brunty, know that point very well indeed.
GertrudetheMerciless

Re: Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Postby Alanko on Thu 13 Feb 2020, 9:29 pm

GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
106500 wrote:Or you could take the view that the Vulcan would have enabled the development of a heritage facility with unrestricted runway use and good access. Lots of aeroplanes at Bruntingthorpe that would have been far more attractive alongside the Vulcan.


Given that none of them fly, do they need unrestricted runway use?
Alanko

Re: Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Postby GertrudetheMerciless on Fri 14 Feb 2020, 11:11 am

Alanko wrote:
GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
106500 wrote:Or you could take the view that the Vulcan would have enabled the development of a heritage facility with unrestricted runway use and good access. Lots of aeroplanes at Bruntingthorpe that would have been far more attractive alongside the Vulcan.


Given that none of them fly, do they need unrestricted runway use?


If you want to do regular fast taxi runs, yes.
GertrudetheMerciless

Re: Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Postby Reds Rolling on Fri 21 Feb 2020, 4:47 pm

GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
Alanko wrote:
GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
106500 wrote:Or you could take the view that the Vulcan would have enabled the development of a heritage facility with unrestricted runway use and good access. Lots of aeroplanes at Bruntingthorpe that would have been far more attractive alongside the Vulcan.


Given that none of them fly, do they need unrestricted runway use?


If you want to do regular fast taxi runs, yes.

Even with 558 and a heritage facility there, I doubt there'd be unrestricted runway access. The owners aren't going to turn down good business just so some old plane(s) can burn up the runway a few times.
Reds Rolling

Re: Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Postby DOUGHNUT on Sat 22 Feb 2020, 8:54 am

"The owners aren't going to turn down good business just so some old plane(s) can burn up the runway a few times."

True the owners have a business to run but if you look back over the last twenty years the owners have tried on several occasions to increase Bruntingthorpe's aviation activities. Both aviation business and museum / heritage operations were supported by David Walton, it was the local authority who continued to refuse permission for airfield operations.
Sad out come for all involved. Not only the museum groups, remember GJD Aviation / Gary Spoors invested time and effort into Bruntingthorpe guess the lack of support from the local authority forced his hand.
DOUGHNUT

Re: Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Postby 106500 on Sat 22 Feb 2020, 4:47 pm

Reds Rolling wrote:
GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
Alanko wrote:
GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
106500 wrote:Or you could take the view that the Vulcan would have enabled the development of a heritage facility with unrestricted runway use and good access. Lots of aeroplanes at Bruntingthorpe that would have been far more attractive alongside the Vulcan.


Given that none of them fly, do they need unrestricted runway use?


If you want to do regular fast taxi runs, yes.

Even with 558 and a heritage facility there, I doubt there'd be unrestricted runway access. The owners aren't going to turn down good business just so some old plane(s) can burn up the runway a few times.


I take it we’ve now heard the last of the “what about a one off ferry flight” and “they haven’t a clue what they’re doing up there in Donny” statements and similar then! Hate to say it but it sounds like they were right after all :grin:
106500

Re: Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Postby CJS on Sat 22 Feb 2020, 9:50 pm

106500 wrote:
Reds Rolling wrote:
GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
Alanko wrote:
GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
106500 wrote:Or you could take the view that the Vulcan would have enabled the development of a heritage facility with unrestricted runway use and good access. Lots of aeroplanes at Bruntingthorpe that would have been far more attractive alongside the Vulcan.


Given that none of them fly, do they need unrestricted runway use?


If you want to do regular fast taxi runs, yes.

Even with 558 and a heritage facility there, I doubt there'd be unrestricted runway access. The owners aren't going to turn down good business just so some old plane(s) can burn up the runway a few times.


I take it we’ve now heard the last of the “what about a one off ferry flight” and “they haven’t a clue what they’re doing up there in Donny” statements and similar then! Hate to say it but it sounds like they were right after all :grin:


Thread locked in 5...4...3...2...
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
User avatar
CJS


Return to Aviation Waffle

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Stagger2 and 28 guests