Future of Airshows in the EV World

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
PeteM

Re: Future of Airshows in the EV World

Post by PeteM »

spellow3010 wrote:In summary then... modern life is going to be rubbish.

Sums it up perfectly. :lol:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I dunno. The floods, resource wars, camps and eventual rise of Mad Max-style society is going to be pretty exciting
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Bring back Thunderdome and Tina Turner. :grin: :lol: :biggrin:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I'm game!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

No one is looking forward to seeing exciting new electric aircraft in the air displays then?
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

psquiddy wrote:No one is looking forward to seeing exciting new electric aircraft in the air displays then?

I would imagine that would depend on the performance attributes of said aircraft. For me at least the sound of an aircraft is of much lesser importance than its capabilities....

No doubt this will elicit cries of "Burn the heretic!" or something similar but I subscribe to the view that a truly efficient machine should not waste energy producing noise which does nothing to enhance performance.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

On that basis I assume you enjoy the non-descript 'whiz' of Formula E Racing too? I'm afraid that for me the 'soundtrack' is an integral part of the experience. Had I been born deaf, I would've missed-out on many great sounding engines (& all other audible experiences!). The Tucano which had constant noise/variable speed was on the cusp of acceptability IMO. :wink:

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

psquiddy wrote:No one is looking forward to seeing exciting new electric aircraft in the air displays then?

It'll be interesting to see how far they can get before someone pulls out the plug to put in the vacuum cleaner.

Paul F

Post by Paul F »

Not wishing to divert the thread even further fr0m the original question, which I too pondered a week or two back... :dunno:

My son works in automotive engineering, and says that the recent "100% electric only" announcement by BoJo and his merry men is at best a statement of hope, given the current state of the technology (which he fully accepts will improve beyond all recognition), the lack of infrastructure to support the charging points (i.e. massive upgrades needed to all electricity networks to carry the added domestic load (esp as most EVS will be charged overnight), and the need to generate all the extra electricity needed to power the charging points. He says none of the current bunch of MPs will be around to take responsibility if it doesn't happen, and even if they are they will simply say it's industry's fault (not enough charging points), power networks fault (for not having built in the extra capacity needed) or the consumers' fault (too few EV's purchased) for not hitting the target. :whistle:

So, travel to airshows (and other major 'out of town' events such as sports, music etc as mentioned) is the least of our worries - it will require a step change in most people's lifestyles to accept a switch to 100% EV's, unless, and until, they can be near-fully recharged in five or ten mins (much as today's ICE-powered cars can be refilled with petrol or diesel), and until charging points are as widely available as current petrol stations, and/or everyone learns to carry a small 'emergency battery' to give another 20 -30 miles range to get the car to the nearest unoccupied charging point. Sales Reps, service engineers, holiday trips, day trips to families or to places of interest will all become much more dependent on the (currently poor and poorly integrated) network of public transport. Add in winter usage of EVs where heating, lights and wipers etc will all drain EV batteries far faster than a summer trip over the same route/distance, and things look even worse.

We'll be heading back to the days when most people rarely travel very far beyond their local area in their own private vehicle, as their modern day 'electric carriage' will be much like the limited range of the old horse-drawn carriages, max journey radius being half the total distance the horse (battery pack)can manage - unless there is a mindset to develop a 'common' and easily changed battery pack format across multiple EV brands, so that dead batteries are simply swapped for recharged packs as necessary mid-journey. And given EV battery packs weight 500Kg or more, it is not as simple as a few seconds spent swapping a couple of dead AA cells in your torch.

The days of travelling for hundreds of miles there and back in the comfort of your own vehicle to see the footie, visit your folks, see an airshow, or see your favourite band will be distant memories - unless you are one of the few who can afford a Tesla. Or unless we have all paid the extra taxes needed to subsidise the mass upgrade of electricity supply network and mass installation of charger points.

Imagine how much power a large event carpark full of recharging EVs will draw - no need to worry about global warming due to CO2 emissions from ICEs, the cables carrying the power to the EV carpark will warm the planet anyway! :lmao:

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Paul F wrote:Not wishing to divert the thread even further fr0m the original question, which I too pondered a week or two back... :dunno:
My son works in automotive engineering, and says that the recent "100% electric only"....

Exactly whay I was trying to say, only said far more eloquently than I could ever achieve :up: :clap:
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Sooo! There we have it in a nutshell. EV battery technology will be there & ready in time for the Internal Combustion engine to cease being on sale. The millions of pounds in taxation revenue on Diesel & Petrol forecourt sales (up to the soon to be extended end if ICE vehicles?) will be ringfenced to pay for the Electrical Supply & Charging logistics necessary....& it won't be 5 times over-budget & late like HS-2. :lol:
Sod-off! It aint gonna happen. :cuppa: Much like Tobacco Revenue going direct to the NHS....NOT!
Perhaps the biggest joke is that all these charging-points that have to profit & provide maintenance/consumables for themselves as a commercial venture will vend a power top-up at your usual Domestic Tariff rates & devoid of Government Levy? Really?? :shock: