UK airlines in danger of bankruptcy

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
jules48

UK airlines in danger of bankruptcy

Post by jules48 »

Who will be the next UK based airline to cease operations.

FlyBe,Loganair or Eastern.

FlyBe apparently still owes millions.

Loganair are expanding their routes and acquiring aircraft but they can they sustain any profits on these routes.I know they took over alot of BMI Regional routes but they were not making any money on them.

Eastern.Rumours of cash flow issues for months now plus an ageing fleet of Jetstreams that will need to be replaced soon.

Not that I am a pessimist but surely the debts must be mounting up .

Any opinions that are not sarcastic please

cometguymk1

Re: UK airlines in danger of bankruptcy

Post by cometguymk1 »

Are some of loganair routes subsidised by the Govt? thinking the ones around the high lands. makes those routes a bit more stable if so

Hammy

Post by Hammy »

There are 22 public service obligation air routes in the UK. Loganair operate 12, AirTask (Hebridean Air Services) hold eight, while Flybe and Eastern Airways each have one.
Author, visionary, dreamweaver... Plus actor.

PSnet gallery
mwneedham.com

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I think Flybe will continue now that it is back to operating its core regional routes. The gov't wont allow it to go down as it will cut off the likes of Exeter, Belfast City and Southampton as Flybe operate 75%+ of routes from those, and others. The Dash 8's are perfect for the routes and have plenty of hours ahead of them
Eastern is a different matter. The jetstreams are on their last legs with no new natural replacement. Companies simply are not making new aircraft in that class. It really depends how much Bristows want's to invest in Eastern?
Loganair is probably over stretching itself with the the routes to Southend in particular, what are the load factors? The Carlisle operation makes sense geographically but not commercially. However I don't think the Scottish gov't would let Loganair go down the pan.