Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
CJS

Re: Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

Post by CJS »

verreli wrote:Now here's a thought. A fictitious thought conceived by me and with no substance or bearing on reality... Caveat over...

The world has two big problems at the moment. 1. Overpopulation which is leading to resource poverty and climate issues. 2. An aging population which needs ever increased amounts of care, is a drain on resource and a drag on the global economy. How do you solve both these issues? A virus targeted with increasing lethality at those in their latter years (see graph above). At a stroke, it would decrease the world population and re-balance the age distribution imbalance realised by modern living and medicine.

Pandora is now out of the box. Like flu, Coronavius could remain dormant and ever evolving. If this is the case, there is no way of containing it and it's likely we will all catch it at some point in our lives. This will be no fun, even for those that survive. Also, and on a selfish note, there is therefore no point in cancelling RIAT this year. The action by the authorities suggests they don't think this is the case, it can be contained and defeated. Time will tell.

As for its origin, did it jump from animal to human or is it synthetic? Is it bad luck or deliberate. Who knows?

That's either tongue in cheek or terrifying :shock: :grin:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Wissam24 wrote:Also given the typical age range of this hobby I'd suggest it might be for the best haha

Yes it is all hilarious isn't it :whistle:

alans895

Post by alans895 »

Granted, not the UK, but I fear it is a sign of what's to come in the UK this season.

For me, booked and paid up to travel from Australia for Old Warden, Yeovilton and RIAT, I stand to lose thousands of dollars.

https://www.aero-expo.com/aero-en/news/ ... nement.php

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

verreli wrote:How do you solve both these issues? A virus targeted with increasing lethality at those in their latter years (see graph above). At a stroke, it would decrease the world population and re-balance the age distribution imbalance realised by modern living and medicine.

As for its origin, did it jump from animal to human or is it synthetic? Is it bad luck or deliberate. Who knows?

Considering the origin is clearly China, and that their president is already 66, I'm going for the jump. :lol:

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Clearly we're all "for the jump" whether we subscribe to the Doomsday predictions or not. RIAT may or may not happen, Bruntingthorpe may or may not have aviation content going forward, but for certain..we all gonna die, merely a question of when? :biggrin:
Regarding the COVID19, I thought the elderly & infirmed were already catered for by ONE of the numerous strains of Common Flue? :whistle:

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Back to the title question, what nobody seems to have mentioned on here so far ( I might have missed it among the dross) is that by late spring/summer it is likely that we'll be over the worst of the virus due to seasonal effects and therefore it's unlikely to be a direct cause of cancellations. Whether there are knock-on effects with levels of emergency cover for large events may be a different matter.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

It has been announced that the four-day Photography and Video Show at the NEC - Saturday 14th March to Tuesday 17th March - has been cancelled due to the current health situation. It's hoped to stage it later in the year.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Belfast, Dublin and Cork in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland have cancelled their St Patricks day parades and events. An emergency meeting has been brought to NMD council to cancel their St Patrick's day events in Downpatrick and Newry. This is rather concerning as NMD council also run the only Airshow in Northern Ireland currently in Newcastle.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

The St. Patrick's Day celebration are next week whereas the airshows are months away. A lot could change in that time. I don't think there is a need to panic just yet.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

If anyone is interested in gaining a sense of reality about this virus, have a read:

https://twitter.com/silviast9/status/1236933818654896129?s=09

jingernut

Post by jingernut »

pb643 wrote:If anyone is interested in gaining a sense of reality about this virus, have a read:

Oh yeah Twitter, the source of all the reputable information. Give me a break.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

jingernut wrote:
pb643 wrote:If anyone is interested in gaining a sense of reality about this virus, have a read:

His local newspaper seems less sceptical than you!

https://www.ecodibergamo.it/stories/bergamo-citta/con-le-nostre-azioni-influenziamola-vita-e-la-morte-di-molte-persone_1344030_11/

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

jasonT1981 wrote:Belfast, Dublin and Cork in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland have cancelled their St Patricks day parades and events. An emergency meeting has been brought to NMD council to cancel their St Patrick's day events in Downpatrick and Newry. This is rather concerning as NMD council also run the only Airshow in Northern Ireland currently in Newcastle.

Thank Chirst they Cancelled the Parades. The Missus was trying to Rope me into taking part in a fancy dress. Perish the Thought! Close Call. it would be something like this!!

ImageWest Point Blood Drive 15 by Armed Services Blood Program, on Flickr
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

jingernut wrote:

Huh? Why do you think this epidemiologist is disreputable because they have a twitter account? Why are you so keen to deny the evidence?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

jingernut

Post by jingernut »

Ok... You've changed my mind... Twitter ramblings from someone I have never heard of have made me see sense.

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

jingernut wrote:Ok... You've changed my mind... Twitter ramblings from someone I have never heard of have made me see sense.

So how many Italian-based epidemiologists can you name?
If 'None', why are you ignoring evidence from all on-scene experts in the matter?

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

jingernut wrote:Ok... You've changed my mind... Twitter ramblings from someone I have never heard of have made me see sense.

Why do you call them "ramblings"? Again, why are you so keen to deny the evidence?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

harkins

Post by harkins »

I'm amazed at how many people I've spoken to that are far more authoritative on this subject than the politicians, medics and scientists. If only the powers that be knew there was a janitor where I work (amongst others) who could tell them that all this is a stupid media manufactured event and that it's nowhere near as bad as seasonal flu.

I also wonder what it must feel like to be over 65 as well. Again, I'm amazed at how many people have uttered the line "It only effects old people and those with underlying health issues". It's almost as if people over 65 don't count. I still quite like my parents and other relatives.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

harkins wrote:I also wonder what it must feel like to be over 65 as well.

Great, fantastic, never felt better. (Famous last words :whistle: )

harkins wrote: "It only effects old people and those with underlying health issues"

Isn't it supposed to be 'old people WITH underlying health issues'. Not all old people and other people with health issues.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

I am 72 and diabetic.

Am I concerned? Slightly, since if I do contract the disease it is likely that it would be a severe case.

Has it affected my lifestyle? Other than washing my hands more frequently and checking from time to time to see if official advice has been updated/changed, no. I'm certainly not using a face mask except at work where I am exposed to grinding dust etc. (I still work as a sheet metal worker building bespoke water features) nor am I stockpiling food or supplies.

It is unfortunate that some strata of British society seem very prone to panic when any sort of "crisis" erupts, although I do agree that the "media" tend to make this worse.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

"Isn't it supposed to be 'old people WITH underlying health issues'. Not all old people and other people with health issues."

It's the latter.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

harkins wrote:I'm amazed at how many people I've spoken to that are far more authoritative on this subject than the politicians, medics and scientists. If only the powers that be knew there was a janitor where I work (amongst others) who could tell them that all this is a stupid media manufactured event and that it's nowhere near as bad as seasonal flu.

I also wonder what it must feel like to be over 65 as well. Again, I'm amazed at how many people have uttered the line "It only effects old people and those with underlying health issues". It's almost as if people over 65 don't count. I still quite like my parents and other relatives.

Agree wholeheartedly.

I would be interested to know what "underlying health issues" are and how many of the population are without them.

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Spiny Norman wrote:
harkins wrote:I'm amazed at how many people I've spoken to that are far more authoritative on this subject than the politicians, medics and scientists. If only the powers that be knew there was a janitor where I work (amongst others) who could tell them that all this is a stupid media manufactured event and that it's nowhere near as bad as seasonal flu.

Agree wholeheartedly.

I would be interested to know what "underlying health issues" are and how many of the population are without them.

The main named underlying health conditions are Diabetes,Asthma,COPD,heart disease,cancer and any other that may leave you with a weakened immune system.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The current high risk bracket is (combined NHS and CDC list)….

Diabetes
Heart Disease
Asthma
Other Lung Disease
Older People