Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Paul_Reflex

Re: Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

Post by Paul_Reflex »

It’s not just older people and those with underlying health issues that can have a life threatening case though, they are just in a much higher risk group. In Los Angeles there is a 50 year old extreme skier who was very fit indeed, but who is now in an induced coma because he is so ill with the virus (contracted in northern Italy).

Mike

Post by Mike »

Next weekend’s Aqaba Air Show is off

https://www.facebook.com/11397303997331 ... 07051/?d=n

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

The news certainly aren't helping with the panicking, completely misleading people a couple of times.

1 when they said a patient had died of the virus yet further along it said was still awaiting test results to confirm it.

2nd they just said 2 more died of the virus IN the UK yet in the story it says died in Indonesia and Japan respectively!
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

rdchawk wrote:
2nd they just said 2 more died of the virus IN the UK yet in the story it says died in Indonesia and Japan respectively!

They were British citizens. Think whoever reported that got it mixed up and thought UK citizen means died in UK.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

I actually feel the media aren't, with a couple of exceptions, being particularly sensationalist about the whole thing. It's becoming clearer day by day that this is going to be huge. I can't see how anyone can still be banging the "it's no worse than seasonal flu [it's been said today that it's 10x more lethal]" drum, or insisting that it only affect the elderly and those with underlying conditions (absolutely not what the wealth of evidence suggests - yes, people in that bracket are more susceptible to developing life-threatening symptoms, but there are plenty of younger people who have been killed or incapacitated by it).

At this point, and with the prediction that cases will continue to increase until peaking in May, my assumption is that airshows will (quite rightly) be cancelled before long. I'm certainly anticipating an unprecedented change of lifestyle, at least over the next few months. There's certainly a feeling of apprehension and anticipation in London (in my experience, anyway). I don't think it's sensationalist to assume we'll see massed event cancellations or postponements (Coachella, for example, has been bumped to October), nor do I think it's overreacting to be very concerned by what happens next.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I’m certainly expecting cancellations of early-season airshows across Europe to start being announced at any time now.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

1st Person died in Ireland today, Elderly person. :sad:

Thanks China.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Mike wrote:I’m certainly expecting cancellations of early-season airshows across Europe to start being announced at any time now.

Aqaba Airshow in Jordan at the end of this month has been postponed until the virus has passed, on government advice, which has been a big blow to this inaugural event and the organisers behind it :sad: Ultimately given the travel obstructions I suspect it would've been impossible to hold a successful event, but I wonder if insurance comes into play once governments halt events, as a get-out for event organisers? :dunno:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

With the UK set to move into the "Delay Phase" tomorrow, I'd say the probability of event cancellations has risen somewhat.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Now March ARB in a couple of weeks is off

https://www.facebook.com/19507066417257 ... 38101/?d=n

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Trump has now banned all Schengen zone European citizens and cargo from entering the US for 30 days from Friday.

So far this does not apply to the UK. Trump appears to be blaming the EU for not erecting National border checks in the zone for spreading the outbreak.

Time will tell!

alans895

Post by alans895 »

I think it is only a matter of time before the decision to cancel events such as RIAT and Yeovilton is made.

I only mention these 2 shows as they are 2 of the 3 shows that I was to travel from Australia to the UK for on the 1st of July.

In Australia, medical authorities are speculating that the virus will peak here in Australia around July/August.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

alans895 wrote:I think it is only a matter of time before the decision to cancel events such as RIAT and Yeovilton is made.

Zero chance the virus will still be going in July/ August.

This article shows how with a lock down like they have in Italy currently and we will almost certainly have here shortly you can break the chain of infection within a few weeks and it all fizzles out.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

This seems a little simplistic to me but let's see how it pans out

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

speedbird2639 wrote:
alans895 wrote:I think it is only a matter of time before the decision to cancel events such as RIAT and Yeovilton is made.

Zero chance the virus will still be going in July/ August.

This article shows how with a lock down like they have in Italy currently and we will almost certainly have here shortly you can break the chain of infection within a few weeks and it all fizzles out.

Remember July/August is Southern Hemisphere Winter. The worry I can see is that the Virus has chance to further mutate over that period. We tend to look to Southern Countries for our next Winter flu strain.
Trump has done exactly what we should all have seen coming, a complete knee jerk of a reaction with no use other than grabbing a few headlines and "looking" strong.
At a time when calm heads and Epidemiologists are needed, the world has Trump :roll:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Pat Murphy wrote:At a time when calm heads and Entomologists are needed, the world has Trump :roll:

Earwigo again!
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Not an airshow, but according to Scramble it appears Frisian Flag at Leeuwarden has been cancelled. Shame it looked to be a good one with the FS Charles de Gaulle taking part in the North Sea
Last edited by 138EAW on Thu 12 Mar 2020, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

boff180 wrote:The current high risk bracket is (combined NHS and CDC list)….

Diabetes
Heart Disease
Asthma
Other Lung Disease
Older People

That covers a lot of people. There's 5 million asthma sufferers in UK alone.

roberto

Post by roberto »

Exercise Frisian Flag at Leeuwarden in the Netherlands is cancelled!!

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

capercaillie wrote:
Pat Murphy wrote:At a time when calm heads and Entomologists are needed, the world has Trump :roll:

Earwigo again!

Damned Autocorrect :grin: :grin:

Of course I meant Epedemioligists.......

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I only mention these 2 shows as they are 2 of the 3 shows that I was to travel from Australia to the UK for on the 1st of July.

In Australia, medical authorities are speculating that the virus will peak here in Australia around July/August.

I think it would be very short sighted to cancel those events now, in march. If we are still in a dire situation come May/June, I will think that they will likely not go ahead.

EGLL

Post by EGLL »

"Give us your freedom and we will protect you"

Mike

Post by Mike »

El Centro and Yuma this weekend both cancelled too

https://www.elcentroairshow.com/

http://www.yumaairshow.com/

CJS