Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
DerekF

Re: Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

Post by DerekF »

boff180 wrote:
DerekF wrote:Governments and the media love this sort of news story - it keeps the population scared of something .

Utter BS, the Government has specifically been publishing advice against panic and also reactionary school closures.etc, they're doing everything they can to deter it.

And yet they are saying that they are making preparations for troops on the streets, crimes going unsolved and prediction of 20% of the work force off sick. Good way to stop panic....

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The role of government is to mitigate the current situation and to prepare for the worse case.

People want to know what both plans are, they’re damned if they do announce it and damned if they don’t.

Yet people with no clue still think they know better.

rob4556

Post by rob4556 »

First off I feel I need to apologise, my post in another thread has been deleted so I obviously offended/broke rules.

I hope everything turns out fine but I think the issue might be people confusing this with seasonal flu, it really isn't the flu. Worse case 80% of UK population infected (according to uk gov) with a death rate of 3% , I'll spare you the maths but this could be a very serious problem that makes seasonal flu look like a mild irritation.

JJC

Post by JJC »

DerekF wrote:
boff180 wrote:
DerekF wrote:Governments and the media love this sort of news story - it keeps the population scared of something .

Utter BS, the Government has specifically been publishing advice against panic and also reactionary school closures.etc, they're doing everything they can to deter it.

And yet they are saying that they are making preparations for troops on the streets, crimes going unsolved and prediction of 20% of the work force off sick. Good way to stop panic....

‘The plan does not set out what the government will do, but steps that it could take at the right time.’

BoJo unequivocally stated that this was the worst case scenario in his speech. The media then latches onto the worst-care estimates that 20% of the workforce could be off/the army could be called in to keep the peace, conveniently ignoring that caveat.

The Gov would be pilloried (rightly so) if they didn’t plan for this contingency. Preparing for the worst, whilst hoping for the best is certainly a statement with a lot of truth to it.

And the media, Laura K et al, feel the need to justify their £100k + salaries with increasingly tabloid-esque BS. She was asking the PM if he thought this was something which would disrupt the lives of every single person in Britain yesterday, and asked if at some point it would turn into something far bigger than could be contained.

They stoke the fires by sensationalising at every step of the way.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

canard67

Post by canard67 »

The show organisers are in a difficult position with this issue, they will be committing big money any time now for services and equipment, so I think cancellations will be announced soon . I worry that if RIAT misses a year or two it may go the way of Air Fete.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

The media are doing what the media always do, but writing it off just because you reckon it's not actually as bad at seasonal flu and you know better than all medical experts in the world is equally as, if not more, moronic.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

JJC

Post by JJC »

Wissam24 wrote:The media are doing what the media always do, but writing it off just because you reckon it's not actually as bad at seasonal flu and you know better than all medical experts in the world is equally as, if not more, moronic.

I’m not reckoning anything in regards to it’s potency/severity, neither am I saying I know better than any medical expert. If that was directed at me, at no time did I make comment in those areas. :dunno:

Just observing the spin and comparing the source material with the reporting of it.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I think some on here need to tone down the rhetoric. Calling those with whom you disagree "moronic" is not helpful and is reminiscent of someone else - thankfully long gone from these forums.

Some of us have been around long enough to have seen many crises come and go and seen many predicted catastrophes forgotten about when the next crisis appears. Forgive us if we seem a little cynical about governments that only say the right things but in reality only care about themselves and the next election.

Some of us also have a healthy cyincism of a media that is frankly out of control and answers to no-one.

SPEEDBIRD

Post by SPEEDBIRD »

Anyone read Dean Koontz's book The eyes of Darkness? Spooky!!!!

Mike

Post by Mike »

Now things are getting REALLY serious!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51744374

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Mike wrote:Now things are getting REALLY serious!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51744374

CO-VID007: licence to kill....

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

DerekF wrote:I think some on here need to tone down the rhetoric. Calling those with whom you disagree "moronic" is not helpful

And how crushingly ironic that the person doing it a staffer. He'd the first to complain if we behaved as such.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

The British Air Display Association & Events Industry Forum advice to airshow and other event organisers.

https://www.bada-uk.com/2020/03/covid-1 ... 9L6_oVUjOY

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Insane conspiracy theories or links to thereof will be removed.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Way to play into their hands Wissam... I agree its insane - but insane things need to be rebutted, not removed.

CJS

Post by CJS »

MiG_Eater wrote:Way to play into their hands Wissam... I agree its insane - but insane things need to be rebutted, not removed.

I agree, leave em in so they can be duly rubbished. Much more fun :up:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

A viewpoint that doesn't reflect reality at all. History has shown that giving insane things oxygen only makes them stronger. No platforming works.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

CJS wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:Way to play into their hands Wissam... I agree its insane - but insane things need to be rebutted, not removed.

Aaah, but if they're left in and rubbished and then are found to be true, then who looks silly...……. :ghost: :ninja:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Wissam24 wrote:A viewpoint that doesn't reflect reality at all. History has shown that giving insane things oxygen only makes them stronger. No platforming works.

Godwin's law in 3...2...1...

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Aero Friedrichshafen has been at least postponed due to lack of exibitors probably due to the virus I would think.
Would not be surprised if EBACE went the same way, although web site says it is still on, as the Geneva motor show was cancelled.
Other shows such as Berlin and Farnborough with inside halls must be in danger.

John in Seaford

CJS

Post by CJS »

capercaillie wrote:
CJS wrote:

Aaah, but if they're left in and rubbished and then are found to be true, then who looks silly...……. :ghost: :ninja:

True, although may I suggest that the sadly deleted Scampton thread was a pretty good example of why it can be fun when it works :whistle:

I think it was Sam who said "play nicely fellas" when that one turned out to be going ahead after all, despite the initial "it's not happening. Fact." posts from a couple of UKARians that started it all off. :grin:

Happy days... :win:

CJS

Post by CJS »

lambo17841 wrote:Other shows such as ... Farnborough with inside halls must be in danger.

I thought Farnborough was in danger because it was rubbish, not because of Coronavirus :dunno:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

"its not as bad as the flu"

Without wishing to contribute to scaremongering, I would suggest that people should be prepared at least for a significant amount of shows to face cancellation, certainly in the first half of the season. I think we're just going to have to grin and bear this year on the chin unfortunately

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Also given the typical age range of this hobby I'd suggest it might be for the best haha

verreli

Post by verreli »

Now here's a thought. A fictitious thought conceived by me and with no substance or bearing on reality... Caveat over...

The world has two big problems at the moment. 1. Overpopulation which is leading to resource poverty and climate issues. 2. An aging population which needs ever increased amounts of care, is a drain on resource and a drag on the global economy. How do you solve both these issues? A virus targeted with increasing lethality at those in their latter years (see graph above). At a stroke, it would decrease the world population and re-balance the age distribution imbalance realised by modern living and medicine.

Pandora is now out of the box. Like flu, Coronavius could remain dormant and ever evolving. If this is the case, there is no way of containing it and it's likely we will all catch it at some point in our lives. This will be no fun, even for those that survive. Also, and on a selfish note, there is therefore no point in cancelling RIAT this year. The action by the authorities suggests they don't think this is the case, it can be contained and defeated. Time will tell.

As for its origin, did it jump from animal to human or is it synthetic? Is it bad luck or deliberate. Who knows?