Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
craig.mason

Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

Post by craig.mason »

I see some countries are banning large public gatherings to stop it spreading and the uk health minister has said it's one thing they could do.
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

TonyB

Re: Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

Post by TonyB »

I think that by the time the Airshow season starts then the Virus and associated hysteria will long be forgotten.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I think iy will all depend on how the virus spreads once the weather (hopefully) get warmer? I just hope shows have some sort of insurance in place? The virus has the ability to wipe out so many types of outdoor events and companies/ events that could not come back from a uninsured cancelation.

Wryneck

Post by Wryneck »

Worldwide panic created by nothing more then the media and yes sadly the hysteria will probably lead to the cancellation of lots of summer events, including airshows... :wall:

Total WORLDWIDE Coronavirus deaths = approx. 3,000
UK winter flu deaths every winter = approx. 8,000

WORLD - Get a grip and STOP Panicking :mad: :wall: :mad:

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Wryneck wrote:

:up:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Wryneck wrote:Worldwide panic created by nothing more then the media and yes sadly the hysteria will probably lead to the cancellation of lots of summer events, including airshows... :wall:

Yeah I think I'm going to go with the WHO and actual medical experts over one guy with a "down the pub" attitude. Why do you think you know better than they do?

You realise that deaths are not only rising massively every day but are so far being kept relatively low because governments are literally quarantining thousands of people, right? Not something that happens with annual flu. Normal flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%, COVID-19 seems to have around 2% right now. That's enormous. That's two thousand percent deadlier. There's also no guarantee that, unlike flu, it will drop off come spring. We simply don't know enough about it yet, it's an unknown, but it's spreading far higher and in far more dangerous ways than flu.

So yes, government measures are highly appropriate and it's not something the world needs to "get a grip" on because you don't understand it. "Created by nothing more than the media" indeed, what a childish mentality.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

^^ What Sam said.

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

This morning the uk government held a press conference
BBC News - Coronavirus: Up to fifth of UK workers 'could be off sick at same time'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51718917
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

As one of those moving into the at risk age range and also having one of the pre-existing medical conditions specifically named as at risk I suppose one has to be a little mindful....right..back to looking for who hires out hazmat suits for my tube journey to a meeting I have to attend tomorrow !

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

farnboroughrob wrote:I think iy will all depend on how the virus spreads once the weather (hopefully) get warmer? I just hope shows have some sort of insurance in place? The virus has the ability to wipe out so many types of outdoor events and companies/ events that could not come back from a uninsured cancelation.

I think FIA20 could be at risk.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Offbreed wrote:
farnboroughrob wrote:I think iy will all depend on how the virus spreads once the weather (hopefully) get warmer? I just hope shows have some sort of insurance in place? The virus has the ability to wipe out so many types of outdoor events and companies/ events that could not come back from a uninsured cancelation.

I think FIA20 could be at risk.

From itself, certainly.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

toom317 wrote:
Wryneck wrote:

+1 :up: from me as well

When the death rate exceeds ebola then I'll accept there may be a problem.

Until then 'Keep calm and carry on'!

At the time of writing the death count is being reported as 3129; in 1919 the 'flu killed upwards of 40 million!

All these people 'self isolating' because they been to a country that's had 2 reported cases are just work shy snowflakes looking for 2 weeks paid leave from work.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I think some people understand what "exponential" means (and it's implications) and some don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_function
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

The WHO have just announced the Covoid-19 death rate is now officially 3.4%

But its fine because something something 101 years ago...

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

"When the death rate exceeds ebola then I'll accept there may be a problem."

According to WHO, the death rate for Ebola was 70%, so there will only be a problem with Coronavirus if the death rate reaches 70.1%? :dizzy: I will hope our government takes some action slightly before then!

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola ... st-n209226
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

CJS

Post by CJS »

speedbird2639 wrote:
toom317 wrote:
Wryneck wrote:

+1 :up: from me as well

When the death rate exceeds ebola then I'll accept there may be a problem.

Until then 'Keep calm and carry on'!

At the time of writing the death count is being reported as 3129; in 1919 the 'flu killed upwards of 40 million!

All these people 'self isolating' because they been to a country that's had 2 reported cases are just work shy snowflakes looking for 2 weeks paid leave from work.

I wish some people would self isolate from UKAR. You know, just to be on the safe side...
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

There are obviously risks to public health that transcend leisure activities so it's probably best to listen to the advice and wait and see.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Threads like this one, together with threads which discuss climate change, reveal a shocking level of basic scientific knowledge in this country. It’s a wonder that the death rate from drinking bleach isn’t higher because the warnings on the bottle are just a media scare story too.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

CJS wrote:
I wish some people would self isolate from UKAR. You know, just to be on the safe side...

Better stay off the site if you're that worried. Hope you washed your hands before posting. :sick:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Paul_Reflex wrote:Threads like this one, together with threads which discuss climate change, reveal a shocking level of basic scientific knowledge in this country. It’s a wonder that the death rate from drinking bleach isn’t higher because the warnings on the bottle are just a media scare story too.

Doesn't it just! The absolute state of some people. The arrogance of people to think they know better than people who spend their whole lives studying these things just because they "reckon" they know better.

Gosh, doesn't that sound familiar...

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

All one big media distraction

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Airshowhammer wrote:All one big media distraction

Tell that to the families of the people that have died?

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

We have a virus that has so far affected around 0.0001% of the population in the UK and the media are going berserk. They are reporting panic-buyer without realizing that they are causing it. They are reporting schools closing unneccesarily - because of over-reaction and media hype.

Governments and the media love this sort of news story - it keeps the population scared of something .

Yes many have died. However, many more have died of many other far more lethal causes but we don't give it a second thought.

A little perspective is needed I think as it looks like the over-reaction has infected many already.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

DerekF wrote:Governments and the media love this sort of news story - it keeps the population scared of something .

Utter BS, the Government has specifically been publishing advice against panic and also reactionary school closures.etc, they're doing everything they can to deter it.

EGLL

Post by EGLL »

DerekF wrote:Governments and the media love this sort of news story - it keeps the population scared of something .

The contagion of propaganda. There has always got to be an enemy or something to be scare of. Problem, reaction, solution.