Airline brinksmanship over Covid-19

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Zoom

Airline brinksmanship over Covid-19

Post by Zoom »

I have 3 return flights booked with easyJet this year; I doubt I will be on any of them (no way I'm going to Paris, Poland has locked everyone out and Corsica, well..)

Because they are flights only not an inclusive package I'll get almost nothing back on travel insurance, And because they are not cancelled I can't get a refund either.

I have 10 days to decide what to do with the Paris one; I can change it to a later date for free but when will it be possible to travel?

I appreciate eJ are in dire straits and can't afford to simply refund all their passengers while also running empty / no planes but it's a dilemma.

anyone else facing the same thing?

Berf

Re: Airline brinksmanship over Covid-19

Post by Berf »

Maybe they have not yet caught up with:

On March 16, 2020, the President of the Republic decided to take measures to minimize contact and travel. A containment system is in place throughout the territory from Tuesday, March 17 at 12:00 p.m., for a minimum of fifteen days. Travel is prohibited except in the following cases and only if you have a certificate for:

Move from home to work when telework is not possible;
Make essential purchases in authorized local shops;
Go to a health professional;
Travel for childcare or to help vulnerable people with the strict condition of respecting barrier gestures;
Exercise only on an individual basis, around the home and without any gathering.

unless you are doing the above you can't go to France so the flights should get cancelled

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Yebbut I can still fly there stay in a hotel (not leaving for any legitimate purpose) and fly home, plus presumably some people still actually need to make that journey?

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I'm meant to fly to Denver in mid June and return 3 weeks later with BA; so far I can't get a clear picture of what might happen if a) the flights are cancelled or b) the flights run but the US still prohibits UK travellers.

Luckily all the hotels are through booking.com and I can cancel up to a couple of days before we travel.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

iainpeden wrote:I'm meant to fly to Denver in mid June and return 3 weeks later with BA; so far I can't get a clear picture of what might happen if a) the flights are cancelled or b) the flights run but the US still prohibits UK travellers.

Luckily all the hotels are through booking.com and I can cancel up to a couple of days before we travel.

Ian, if the flights are cancelled you are invited to either rebook online, or cancel online with a full refund.

Assuming BA extend (currently end of May) their ‘book with confidence’ policy, then if your flights still operate but you don’t want to (or can’t due to US rules) travel, as has happened to me, then you apply online to receive a voucher to the same value which you have 12 months to redeem with BA.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Thanks Gonzo

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

just got a mail from Aer Lingus, Re book or Vouncher + 10% so not too bad an offer in all fairness.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Georgeconna wrote:just got a mail from Aer Lingus, Re book or Vouncher + 10% so not too bad an offer in all fairness.

A voucher +10%, so in other words 110% of the cost of the flight back (albeit only as another flight)? I'd say that's extraordinarily generous, yes!
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

iainpeden wrote:Thanks Gonzo

No problem,

A good resource is this thread on FlyerTalk...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british ... n-etc.html

....and the associated linked threads in the header wiki post there.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Here's my predicament; we were due to fly with 2 bikes to Paris on Saturday (we have cancelled the hotels and the ferry back is cancelled anyway) but we have nearly £200 tied up with eJ; I don't really want to commit to making the same trip any time before Feb 2021 which is when the offer closes. I don't have any plans to take the bikes anywhere else and they are £45 each one way!

It would be much easier if the flight was cancelled but not sure what to do if it isn't by Saturday. And their Chat line is closed

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Son and partner were due to go to Greece at the beginning of May. Partner has had the txt to self isolate for 12 weeks, so will they get a refund.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Mooshie1956 wrote:Son and partner were due to go to Greece at the beginning of May. Partner has had the txt to self isolate for 12 weeks, so will they get a refund.

My partner has a call with the GP tomorrow; not related to C-19 but will probably be advised to self isolate just in case so I will have to too; how do you get a refund for that? eJ are just offering a change of date on their website

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Zoom wrote:Here's my predicament; we were due to fly with 2 bikes to Paris on Saturday (we have cancelled the hotels and the ferry back is cancelled anyway) but we have nearly £200 tied up with eJ; I don't really want to commit to making the same trip any time before Feb 2021 which is when the offer closes. I don't have any plans to take the bikes anywhere else and they are £45 each one way!

It would be much easier if the flight was cancelled but not sure what to do if it isn't by Saturday. And their Chat line is closed

Have you checked the manage booking link on this page, that's what they tell you to. If it tells you your flight isn't operating that will presumably be enough for you
https://www.easyjet.com/en/policy/coronavirus
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Yes; it still is operating

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Zoom wrote:Yes; it still is operating

I've got one on 12th May, so not much chance me getting a cancellation on that then. If they ground the fleet surely they have to cancel flights.
Trevor C

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Zoom wrote:Yes; it still is operating

looks like you are buggered because they are still taking bookings and apparently running some flights to Paris until the end of the month. Nothing from 1st April. I hope that people like me may be in a better position as the flights won't exist.
Trevor C

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Does travel to the airport for a holiday count as essential travel ?. I would think you would have a right to cancel under those conditions.
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Mooshie1956 wrote:Does travel to the airport for a holiday count as essential travel ?. I would think you would have a right to cancel under those conditions.

No it doesn't and it's also against Gov't advice from a week ago. But there is still only a "change date" option. I've emailed them.

I could change to a flight at Christmas to somewhere warm as they are currently going for a song rather than the usual £4-600. But what's the likelihood of any of those operating?

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I feel for those booked with EasyJet and Ryanair only getting replacement bookings. I can't remember if it was Jet2 TUI or both that was offering full refunds a couple of weeks ago. Son is booked with TUI, he would like a refund but will be happy to re book for next year.
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Mooshie1956 wrote:I feel for those booked with EasyJet and Ryanair only getting replacement bookings. I can't remember if it was Jet2 TUI or both that was offering full refunds a couple of weeks ago. Son is booked with TUI, he would like a refund but will be happy to re book for next year.

I was due to fly to Bologna last Friday and return yesterday with Ryanair, they cancelled the flight about 3 weeks ago and offered a full refund (or replacement flight later) so I'm surprised that they have changed their policy. I took the refund option as I don't know how long it will be before I can go and if they go bust in the meantime I expect I would lose my money they were holding for the future flight - unlikely with Ryanair but some may be less resilient.

Andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

They have cancelled all flights to Italy; but not as yet to France so those that are going are not offering refunds. Even though it's against FCO advice to go to France (and also illegal to go to the airport)

I just went onto FR24 at LGW and all that was coming in was an Emirates A380

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-52018623

I wonder if, once all this has settled down, the government will be looking at airlines (and indeed the insurance industry) to examine how they dealt with customers and renew, or not, licences to operate dependent on service.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Sorry for the thread drift, but i'm stunned at the amount of Conus flights still happening ..... BA on the way to JFK as i write this post.

Singapore A380 inbound too, plus some from the middle east, and further afield.

I thought there was a bigger 'lock down' of flights than this? Although FR24 doesnt look so busy, they cannot all be repatriation flights, can they?
Got to love Russianhardware

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Cargo has to get around too, Rates going throught the roof for same. Probably to cater for the falling Pax numbers.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Looks like they have finally cancelled it, no email yet though just the option to re-book although it does say I'm entitled to a full refund. So that's this weekend's birthday trip completely gone. It's actually very nice here so a weekend walk in isolation will fit the bill :cool:
Last edited by Zoom on Wed 25 Mar 2020, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.