What do the Red Arrows do this year?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
CJS

Re: What do the Red Arrows do this year?

Post by CJS »

Pen Pusher wrote:[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/royalairforce/posts/10158296301294885:0[/fb-post]

Brian

Displays though, it mentions nothing about continuing to fly to train / keep current.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

BBMF Chipmunk & Spitfire "P7350" were flying this morning.

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

CJS wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/royalairforce/posts/10158296301294885:0[/fb-post]

Brian

Displays though, it mentions nothing about continuing to fly to train / keep current.

But if the Armed Forces are deemed essential and your job is a pilot, doesn’t that mean you are obliged to stay current and train. No matter what it is you are assigned to fly now - we might need trained pilots at a moments notice, for many essential tasks that might come up. They might be taken from their non-essential flying and be asked to replace other pilots in jobs you deem as essential if they take ill, for instance.

That leads me onto another question if all these airlines are grounding all these aircraft. Will they need months after it’s all finished to get their pilots certified again if they haven’t been up flying and landing as per their licence/currency requirements ?
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

ericbee123 wrote:That leads me onto another question if all these airlines are grounding all these aircraft. Will they need months after it’s all finished to get their pilots certified again if they haven’t been up flying and landing as per their licence/currency requirements ?

At a total guess, since currency requirements are less than normal schedules, they will do their best to keep rotating aircrew on what flights are going on, to keep currency for the maximum number.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

AAC confirmed no Apache display this year.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
ericbee123 wrote:That leads me onto another question if all these airlines are grounding all these aircraft. Will they need months after it’s all finished to get their pilots certified again if they haven’t been up flying and landing as per their licence/currency requirements ?

At a total guess, since currency requirements are less than normal schedules, they will do their best to keep rotating aircrew on what flights are going on, to keep currency for the maximum number.

I expect the simulators will be running 24 hours a day to keep pilots current

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

ted633 wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:

I expect the simulators will be running 24 hours a day to keep pilots current

I thought of that but wondered whether the sims or the sim managers might not be able to social distance during use.