Footage of RAF Gaydon "At Homes" 1960s

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Finningley Boy

Footage of RAF Gaydon "At Homes" 1960s

Post by Finningley Boy »

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... G0nwmB_rxH

Hi all,

following the rare and outstanding footage of Leuchars and Lossiemouth air shows etc, from the 1960s, I've found this gem covering Battle of Britain Displays at Gaydon during the same era. Much appears to be from 1966, the Victors, Vulcan B1A and Belgian (Red Devils) and Dutch (Whisky Four) aerobatics teams. Some of the footage at the start is little dark and subject to poor lighting, however, persevere, it well worth it!

Another trip down the memory lane of my childhood years and perhaps, provide some respite from the current Covid 19 blight! :biggrin:

FB :cuppa:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

Amp

Re: Footage of RAF Gaydon "At Homes" 1960s

Post by Amp »

Like the passes by B-66s, Brittania, Bev and Argosy!
Lots of suits and ties in the crowd too, how things have changed. 😉

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Hi Amp,

The B-66s, Beverley and Argosy were, I think, all filmed during the 1964 display. You'll notice the bit in the middle with the British Midland Herald, I believe this is at Birmingham Elsdon Airport. Most of the stuff at Gaydon after that is during the 1966 Display.

FB

stevejb

Post by stevejb »

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

The BMA Herald, I thought that looked more like the original viewing area at East Midlands?

Steve

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

stevejb wrote:
Sun 03 May 2020, 6:54 pm
Very interesting, thanks for posting.

The BMA Herald, I thought that looked more like the original viewing area at East Midlands?

Steve
I think you're more likely correct Steve, I presumed it may be Elsdon given the close proximity to Gaydon therefore the likelihood the cameraman would have been at both.

Zap43

Post by Zap43 »

The BM Herald is at Elmdon, filmed from the cafe (spotters lounge), upstairs in the terminal extension.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Brilliant link, thanks. Such memories. The days when living in Worcestershire meant a number of shows were less than a 2 hour journey away!

My first Gaydon "At home" was 68, as shown in this footage the great thing for me was that you often got more than one of some types, still remember I think 4 F104's at Gaydon in that first show. How times do change!

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Zap43 wrote:
Mon 04 May 2020, 8:44 pm
The BM Herald is at Elmdon, filmed from the cafe (spotters lounge), upstairs in the terminal extension.
Sorry Elmdon, I thought I might have recollected the name incorrectly! :biggrin:

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

IP1960 wrote:
Mon 04 May 2020, 9:59 pm
Brilliant link, thanks. Such memories. The days when living in Worcestershire meant a number of shows were less than a 2 hour journey away!

My first Gaydon "At home" was 68, as shown in this footage the great thing for me was that you often got more than one of some types, still remember I think 4 F104's at Gaydon in that first show. How times do change!
That would be right IP1960, from the RDAF and operating from Coltishall touring St Mawgan, St Athan, Gaydon and back to Coltishall again! :cool:

AMB

Post by AMB »

Very interesting. I was at that Gaydon show in 1966 - very frustrating as gorgeous weather but the static had no barriers and I was not geared up to get there at the crack of sparrows to take photos without people in those days ! Then the flying was all into-sun and the Dutch "Whisky-4" team operated from the far side, so no chance of any photos of them in my early pre-telephoto days!
The BMA Herald must have be taken in 1965, not '64, as G-ASKK was not leased to BMA from Handley Page until Feb.65 for two years.
Adrian