Re: Social Distance Spotting

Post by Wissam24 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 1:00 pm
Pen Pusher wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 11:12 am
Wissam24 wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 11:00 am
Following an emergency session of the Council of UKAR and Plenipotentiary Bodies it is the decision of this board that given the absolutely baffling lack of any kind of clarity from the government as to what is actually allowed now and what isn't as well as the differences in the various countries, until things have fully returned to normal we're keeping the ban on posting spotting images (and discussing the taking part of thereof) on the forum.

That is to say, if you do decide that it's not allowed (we don't condone doing it now), you aren't allowed to post photos or say that you have been.
For the clarity of that statement, Wissam24 for Prime Minister. :grin:

Brian
I endorse the sentiment though I consider it a bit of a poisoned chalice! TYVM for the guidance.
Oh you better believe it'd be a poisoned chalice. :japanese_ogre:
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Berf

Post by Berf »

Our plan to rebuild - government doc excerpt:

SAGE advise that the risk of infection outside is significantly lower than inside, so the Government is updating the rules so that, as well as exercise, people can now also spend time outdoors subject to: not meeting up with any more than one person from outside your household; continued compliance with social distancing guidelines to remain two metres (6ft) away from people outside your household; good hand hygiene, particularly with respect to shared surfaces; and those responsible for public places being able to put appropriate measures in place to follow the new COVID-19 Secure guidance.
People may exercise outside as many times each day as they wish. For example, this would include angling and tennis. You will still not be able to use areas like playgrounds, outdoor gyms or ticketed outdoor leisure venues, where there is a higher risk of close contact and touching surfaces. You can only exercise with up to one person from outside your household – this means you should not play team sports, except with members of your own household.
People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance, so long as they respect social distancing guidance while they are there, because this does not involve contact with people outside your household.
When travelling to outdoor spaces, it is important that people respect the rules in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and do not travel to different parts of the UK where it would be inconsistent with guidance or regulations issued by the relevant devolved administration.
These measures may come with some risk; it is important that everyone continues to act responsibly, as the large majority have done to date. The infection rate will increase if people begin to break these rules and, for example, mix in groups in parks, which will trigger the need for further restrictions.

The above is from Wednesday

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Seahornet wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 11:22 am
Sorry to be pedantic, but where have you found that quote? The only 'official' guidance I can find is BJ's speech, which says:

"...And from this Wednesday, we want to encourage people to take more and even unlimited amounts of outdoor exercise.
You can sit in the sun in your local park, you can drive to other destinations, you can even play sports but only with members of your own household..."

This is much too vague to be considered as 'guidance'...
To be pedantic myself, I'm not too sure what is vague about the official guidance above...

"And from this Wednesday"
That's in 2 days time on the 13 May 2020.
"we want to encourage people to take more and even unlimited amounts of outdoor exercise"
you can go out more than once a day but only with members of your own household.
"You can sit in the sun in your local park"
When you go outside you may visit your local park but only with members of your own household.
"you can drive to other destinations"
like to your local park but only with members of your own household.
you can even play sports"
but only with members of your own household.

All seems fairly understandable to me and commonsense (sadly lacking I agree) should indicate that 'social distancing" should still be applied!

It seems to me that some people just like to have a go at the Government because its not their flavour of politics (yes, I'm just as guilty)! For example, yesterday it was announced that "Primary schools in England could reopen to some year groups from 1 June "at the earliest", says Boris Johnson". The result was a lot of people kicked off decrying this as unacceptable, unworkable, unsafe etc. but the important part of that statement was 1 June "at the earliest". To me "at the earliest" means only if it is safe to do so but if not, then a return to school would be defered until a later date.

I know that commonsense has died but really, does everything have to be spelt out this days?

These are unprecedented times, within most of our lives and nobody, not Boris Johnson, Sir Keir Starmer or even Jonny Come Lately from down the road, knows or has, all the answers but just once, wouldn't be nice if everyone worked together without knocking every single statement that is released?

Still human nature being what it is...
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

On Thursday I shall be heading to LHR for some spotting. Either from Myrtle Ave or Windsor great park (if open by then). Not taking photos just want to get some numbers in the book. Two new bizjets at Farnborough today, living here does have advantages. No reason not to go spotting as long as it is in a public place like Myrtle Avenue, Belmer Road Stansted etc. Not that there is much to see but could be even less in a few weeks time?

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

I do not have to go to the airport to spot,can do it from home,have done quite well recently,lots of chinese A330. United 777 and 787-10 plus 4 Avianca 330F,and a few Aeroflot 777

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

The law hasn't changed though. It is still an offence to be out of your property without reasonable excuse.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Not where I live.

Jetnoise

Post by Jetnoise »

the law hasn't changed though. It is still an offence to be out of your property without reasonable excuse.
Quite. It is just that the list of "reasonable excuses" has increased and now (as of Wednesday 13th May) includes "as well as exercise, people can now also spend time outdoors subject to: not meeting up with any more than one person from outside your household; continued compliance with social distancing guidelines to remain two metres (6ft) away from people outside your household; good hand hygiene, particularly with respect to shared surfaces; and those responsible for public places being able to put appropriate measures in place to follow the new COVID-19 Secure guidance.
People may exercise outside as many times each day as they wish. For example, this would include angling and tennis. You will still not be able to use areas like playgrounds, outdoor gyms or ticketed outdoor leisure venues, where there is a higher risk of close contact and touching surfaces. You can only exercise with up to one person from outside your household – this means you should not play team sports, except with members of your own household.
People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance, so long as they respect social distancing guidance while they are there, because this does not involve contact with people outside your household.
When travelling to outdoor spaces, it is important that people respect the rules in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and do not travel to different parts of the UK where it would be inconsistent with guidance or regulations issued by the relevant devolved administration."

The government has clearly left it to the individual to determine whether their leisure pursuit falls in to this category expansion.
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Jetnoise wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 7:44 pm
the law hasn't changed though. It is still an offence to be out of your property without reasonable excuse.
Quite. It is just that the list of "reasonable excuses" has increased and now (as of Wednesday 13th May) includes "as well as exercise, people can now also spend time outdoors subject to: not meeting up with any more than one person from outside your household; continued compliance with social distancing guidelines to remain two metres (6ft) away from people outside your household; good hand hygiene, particularly with respect to shared surfaces; and those responsible for public places being able to put appropriate measures in place to follow the new COVID-19 Secure guidance.
When travelling to outdoor spaces, it is important that people respect the rules in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and do not travel to different parts of the UK where it would be inconsistent with guidance or regulations issued by the relevant devolved administration."

The government has clearly left it to the individual to determine whether their leisure pursuit falls in to this category expansion.
Since angling is given as an example and plenty of fishermen actually take not just chairs but beds to pursue their quarry, I think the door is wide open for anything from watercolour painting to extreme ironing.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

TonyC wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 3:57 pm

When you go outside you may visit your local park but only with members of your own household.

All seems fairly understandable to me and commonsense (sadly lacking I agree) should indicate that 'social distancing" should still be applied!

To be honest this isn't clear, so if I want to go out that means I have to take a member of my own family, as you have said you can only go with members of your own household, so to me that reads not on your own.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Jetnoise

Post by Jetnoise »

Mooshie1956 wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 9:21 pm
TonyC wrote:

To be honest this isn't clear, so if I want to go out that means I have to take a member of my own family, as you have said you can only go with members of your own household, so to me that reads not on your own.
:rofl:

I am going to take my rabbit - that should be OK.
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Jetnoise wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 9:26 pm
Mooshie1956 wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 9:21 pm
TonyC wrote:

:rofl:

I am going to take my rabbit - that should be OK.
I would ask Tommy to clarify that, as I think legally the way it's worded it mean just that. It all depends if it is law or not. I'm not saying you would be fined for it but the wording is very ambiguous.
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

The thing about Common Sense.....is it ain't that common.

Andy

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

Mooshie1956. The Police haven't really been giving out fines near me. They are more on the engage, explain and encourage phase.

This latest statement from the government means it would be hard to issue fines for people in the park.

Remember Government guidance isn't law, the Covid-19 law is the law on how this pans out. However government guidance will probably give people mitigation in regards to their excuse for being out. Ultimately it would be down to a court to decide if plane spotting is a reasonable excuse or not.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Oh please help me, did I really type that lot last night. I think I had a few to many and made a bit of a prat of myself. Sorry everyone just had a few to many drinks.
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 8:47 pm
Jetnoise wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 7:44 pm

Since angling is given as an example and plenty of fishermen actually take not just chairs but beds to pursue their quarry, I think the door is wide open for anything from watercolour painting to extreme ironing.
not going to lie, that's how i read it.
i may not go spotting because i imagine a lot of other people will do, but if i can get out go for a walk and happen to do landscape photography while I'm doing it ill probably do that

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I understand the "common sense" argument, but I fail to see how this will be policed.

There is so much open to interpretation in there with regards to open spaces etc. How do you police something like a hobby which is ultimately subjective? What is "essential" to one may seem meaningless to another.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

G-CVIX wrote:
Tue 12 May 2020, 8:23 am
I understand the "common sense" argument, but I fail to see how this will be policed.

There is so much open to interpretation in there with regards to open spaces etc. How do you police something like a hobby which is ultimately subjective? What is "essential" to one may seem meaningless to another.
It's almost like the government has given us just utterly garbage information
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

CJS

Post by CJS »

G-CVIX wrote:
Tue 12 May 2020, 8:23 am

I think we're all (the government included) in agreement that it's somewhere in between confusing and incomprehensible new advice. However, if I can go to the park to sunbathe, I can't really see how I can't go and stand by a fence and take photos of aeroplanes. In fact, if I was lying on my back I could probably be doing both at once.

Although not until tomorrow, obviously. It'd be lethal to try it today...
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Well Boris says we should all go back to work if you can avoid using public transport, so assuming most bases are out of the way and most of us use cars, why don't you all head off back to work?
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

toom317 wrote:
Tue 12 May 2020, 9:48 am
Well Boris says we should all go back to work if you can avoid using public transport, so assuming most bases are out of the way and most of us use cars, why don't you all head off back to work?
Because some of us also have days off?

CJS

Post by CJS »

Wissam24 wrote:
Tue 12 May 2020, 10:42 am
toom317 wrote:
There might even be retired people on here...
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Cole

Post by Cole »

CJS wrote:
Tue 12 May 2020, 10:50 am
Wissam24 wrote:
Tue 12 May 2020, 10:42 am
toom317 wrote:
There might even be retired people on here...
Hmm. I don't think so.. ridiculous logic, aviation is obviously a 65 and under hobby :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :joy:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Mantaining the 2 metre distancing at popular spotting / photography airfields will be problematic due to the increased weekday attendance of furloughed/newly redundant persons not usually able to go in the week! Added to that the sheer number of retired persons (aka 'Survivors') keen to make the most of their time left & the 'Terminally Work-shy' who don't even know what a job is! It could be quite a crowd really?

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Yet again the assumption is made that all on this forum and elsewhere are currently off work. Still working not had a day off since Corona started. Wish I was sitting there with my feet up. Being forced to the office has been the worst experience of my life. ☹️