Social Distance Spotting

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
G-CVIX

Social Distance Spotting

Post by G-CVIX »

I imagine many in the UK are thinking it, but does the slight easing of rules mean that we are okay to go and sit at the end of runways again? With the probable loss of the entire 2020 season, this could be a welcome outlet.

FarnboroJohn

Re: Social Distance Spotting

Post by FarnboroJohn »

G-CVIX wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 6:57 am
I imagine many in the UK are thinking it, but does the slight easing of rules mean that we are okay to go and sit at the end of runways again? With the probable loss of the entire 2020 season, this could be a welcome outlet.
Since sitting still in parks is OK, it would make sense to me because we don't have to keep moving as previously, but a ruling from the mods would be useful.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

I thought it was up to the government,not the mods on this site,no offence to the mods.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

well given they have effectively said travelling within the UK is now unlimited, exercise is potentially unlimited and i can go to the park to sunbathe i think it does mean as of Wednesday we can go spotting again.

it will require a level of self-policing

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Can you point to any paperwork/laws that say spotting is classed as exercise?
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 7:56 am
The amount of equipment some people carry equates it to weight lifting.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 7:56 am
No, but my understanding is that from Wednesday, you can travel to other destinations (such as beauty spots) where you can sit, picnic, etc, as long as you maintain social distancing. You do not have to be there to exercise.

I do not see someone sitting in a park as being vastly different to someone sitting/standing at an airport taking photos. As long as appropriate distance is maintained, what is the harm?

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Not sure why we're being asked for comment but UKAR's stance will always to be to defer to the government on matters of legality...?

For now, if they haven't explicitly said that non-exercise outdoor leisure activities are acceptable then we don't endorse spotting.

I'm sure we can all bear to wait a few more weeks to go look at planes while there's a deadly pandemic going on, guys...
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I was more hoping someone had made better sense from it all than me, who could add some clarity, rather than a ruling of any kind. I wouldn't want to go out unless I knew I was in the right in doing so.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 7:21 am
I thought it was up to the government,not the mods on this site,no offence to the mods.
Currently posting photos taken away from home is banned, but from Wednesday the UK governmental rules will permit travel to spot: explicitly leisure activities that are not exercise have been cleared to resume, with social distancing. Nobody wants to post photos and have them deleted, hence the requirement for a ruling from the mods on whether they are going to match the "English" government from Wednesday or stick with the provincials who intend to retain lockdown as at present.

With seemingly far more Chinese aircraft than usual using Heathrow, I'm looking forward to scooting up there legitimately later in the week.

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 9:29 am

...from Wednesday the UK governmental rules will permit travel to spot: explicitly leisure activities that are not exercise have been cleared to resume, with social distancing....
Can you point to where this is explicit? What I've seen, is that you can travel by car for exercise / sport, and that you can sit in the sun in a local park (not sport or exercise, but car travel not included). Is spotting a sport...?
Last edited by Seahornet on Mon 11 May 2020, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The new rules do state that -
From Wednesday, people in England will be able to spend more time outdoors "for leisure purposes"
and the dictionary definition of a hobby, i.e. spotting/photography etc.
A hobby is a regular activity done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time,
Brian

DfG on Facebook

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I will summon the Council for further rumination
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

rockfordstone wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 7:22 am
... travelling within the UK is now unlimited...
No it isn't, you're making the mistake of thinking england and the uk are one and the same thing.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Following an emergency session of the Council of UKAR and Plenipotentiary Bodies it is the decision of this board that given the absolutely baffling lack of any kind of clarity from the government as to what is actually allowed now and what isn't as well as the differences in the various countries, until things have fully returned to normal we're keeping the ban on posting spotting images (and discussing the taking part of thereof) on the forum.

That is to say, if you do decide for yourself that it's now allowed (we don't condone doing it now), you aren't allowed to post photos or say that you have been.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Wissam24 wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 11:00 am
Following an emergency session of the Council of UKAR and Plenipotentiary Bodies it is the decision of this board that given the absolutely baffling lack of any kind of clarity from the government as to what is actually allowed now and what isn't as well as the differences in the various countries, until things have fully returned to normal we're keeping the ban on posting spotting images (and discussing the taking part of thereof) on the forum.

That is to say, if you do decide that it's not allowed (we don't condone doing it now), you aren't allowed to post photos or say that you have been.
For the clarity of that statement, Wissam24 for Prime Minister. :grin:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Seahornet wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 10:00 am
FarnboroJohn wrote:

...from Wednesday the UK governmental rules will permit travel to spot: explicitly leisure activities that are not exercise have been cleared to resume, with social distancing....
Can you point to where this is explicit? What I've seen, is that you can travel by car for exercise / sport, and that you can sit in the sun in a local park (not sport or exercise, but car travel not included). Is spotting a sport...?
For Manchester ok I know there's not a lot of movement but I can think of several parks I can sit in and spot, even getting decent pictures, so I wouldn't be breaking the law. Come to think of it going southside you are on NT property so would that be classed as a park. It's all technicalities.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Wissam24 wrote:

You aren't sure so you are using common sense to address a problem, well done. So if you have all that common sense why do you see an absolutely baffling lack of clarity. It is easy, is part of your regular routine a pop down the local to see what is about. Yes well carry on, stay alert, keep yourself and everybody else safe. Don't group in numbers greater than 2, wear a mask etc etc. If a squadron of F35s is flying into Lakenheath tomorrow and you live on the south coast, it is not common sense to make a journey to see them. If you want to do something and you aren't sure whether you can then common sense says you can't.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
[
Currently posting photos taken away from home is banned,
Since when ?. I've seen plenty of pictures taken while on lockdown and posted to other social media outlets, no one seem to know about this and the police haven't taken any action.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 10:10 am
The new rules do state that -
From Wednesday, people in England will be able to spend more time outdoors "for leisure purposes"

Brian
Sorry to be pedantic, but where have you found that quote? The only 'official' guidance I can find is BJ's speech, which says:

"...And from this Wednesday, we want to encourage people to take more and even unlimited amounts of outdoor exercise.
You can sit in the sun in your local park, you can drive to other destinations, you can even play sports but only with members of your own household..."

This is much too vague to be considered as 'guidance'. The Government website's detailed Covid guidance remains unchanged for now, so we presumably need to wait until Wednesday (if they update it promptly!) to find out the detail of what is and isn't allowed. I've been googling for an hour, and the only other guidance I can find is from various news media, who all have their own interpretations of the 'new rules'. Have they had a press release that gives more information, or are they guessing, like the rest of us?!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Mooshie1956 wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 11:19 am
FarnboroJohn wrote:
[
Since when ?. I've seen plenty of pictures taken while on lockdown and posted to other social media outlets, no one seem to know about this and the police haven't taken any action.
Yes, the shocking arrogance of some "outlets" like BigJetTV has been breathtaking.

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Wissam24 wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 11:24 am
Mooshie1956 wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 11:19 am
FarnboroJohn wrote:
[
Yes, the shocking arrogance of some "outlets" like BigJetTV has been breathtaking.
Hmmm...Bigjet...certainly a big something.

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Seahornet wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 11:22 am

...we presumably need to wait until Wednesday (if they update it promptly!) to find out the detail of what is and isn't allowed...
HMG will issue a 50-page document at 2.00pm today, so hopefully we'll have all the answers (!) very soon....

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Think I will spend tomorrow at Mc Donalds spotting. :grinning: :grinning:

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 11:12 am
Wissam24 wrote:

That is to say, if you do decide that it's not allowed (we don't condone doing it now), you aren't allowed to post photos or say that you have been.
For the clarity of that statement, Wissam24 for Prime Minister. :grin:

Brian
I endorse the sentiment though I consider it a bit of a poisoned chalice! TYVM for the guidance.