Nimrod MRA4 flight deck pictures

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
LH784

Nimrod MRA4 flight deck pictures

Post by LH784 »

Dear all,

I am currently considering putting together a desk simulator based on the Nimrod MRA4. Systemswise it will be based on the A340, as the cockpit pictures I have seen resemble that flight deck most.
However, everything I found so far in the internet were rather low resolution pictures, which surprises me a bit as the airplanes did exist (and even fly) and there are pictures out there of every type of aircraft.

Does anyone know
- if there are any surviving comlete Nimrod MRA4 or nose sections somewhere in a museum or alike (there might be one at Cranfield, but I have not yet been able to obtain any more recent information on that) where they are accessible or can be visited.
- Has anyone got better or higher resolution cockpit pictures ? E.g. I have never seen detailed pictures of the main panel or a "useful" picture of the overhead or the back part of the throttle quadrant.

I assume that the number of pics might be limited as the scrapping occured without prior notice and at the time they still existed the aircraft might have been restricted information. Today - with 10 years between today the scrapping - such pics might not be confidential any more.

Any hints, ideas, pictures etc are highly welcome.

Thanks,
Florian

DerekF

Re: Nimrod MRA4 flight deck pictures

Post by DerekF »

The only one I have is this one.Which I think was in the public domain.

ImageCH06_04_Cockpit by Derek N.Ferguson, on Flickr

You are right, the flight deck displays were based on the A340 systems. I do have electronic copies of the aircrew manuals in PDF format.

I was involved in the flight testing of the MRA4 so any queries I'd happy to answer (if I can remember)

Gratuitous photo of me at Woodford after arriving on MRA4 PA3

ImageCH06_05_ZJ517_C by Derek N.Ferguson, on Flickr

LH784

Post by LH784 »

Hi Derek,

cool photo from you in fromt of the MRA4. Probably this kind of pictures is as scarce as those from astronauts on the moon...possibly similar number of flights...:-)
I have seen the flight deck picture on the internet. It is by far the one with the best resolution I found during my search.
For details I will - if you allow - be happy to contact you, the flight crew manuals certainly should contain schematic pictures and explanations.

Thanks a lot & best,
Florian

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Ten years ago....jeeeez
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

I would be interested in reading the Manuals. Have just finished the BAE EAP Book and brilliant reading

Paulish

Post by Paulish »

patrouille2001 wrote:
Wed 10 Jun 2020, 9:27 pm
I would be interested in reading the Manuals. Have just finished the BAE EAP Book and brilliant reading
I am interested in reading the BAE Book on the EAP that you mentioned. I have had a trawl on the web and I am not sure which this is. Are you able to share a link or reference? Would be much appreciated.

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Paulish wrote:
Sun 14 Jun 2020, 10:18 am
patrouille2001 wrote:
Wed 10 Jun 2020, 9:27 pm
I am interested in reading the BAE Book on the EAP that you mentioned. I have had a trawl on the web and I am not sure which this is. Are you able to share a link or reference? Would be much appreciated.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/P-Experimental ... 622&sr=8-4

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Would you believe it was £20 last Christmas

Paulish

Post by Paulish »

Thanks for the info re the EAP book. That is pricey. I would like to try and track down a copy.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

It might be worth checking with the Museum Shop tomorrow as they've had a sizeable donation of pre-owned books during lockdown - I don;t recall seeing a copy by it might be worth asking the question; lots of Eurofighter interest & feedback since the DA4 announcement!

http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/NAM_Shop_To_Re-Open
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Paulish

Post by Paulish »

Great tip thank you and I will give it a try. I have also written to the publishers. I don’t fancy paying the current prices quoted on Amazon though.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Pleased to have assisted (potentially) - good luck with your enquiries and search for this and possibly other pre-owned aviation books!
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org