Boris Force One?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
DerekF

Re: Boris Force One?

Post by DerekF »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Thu 25 Jun 2020, 5:49 pm
Although basically OK, it looks a bit muddled and a bit amateurish, certainly lacks the professional design touch in my opinion. Sometimes less is more.
Agreed. I think budget airline is close to the mark - and quite appropriate.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

I like the scheme. Better than British Airways livery imo.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

I quite like it, anything is better than grey!
Thomas

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

But why is the 'United Kingdom' lettering gold? navy would be better, matching the navy in the flag, surely. Why do the oversize serial and corporate "Royal Air Force' look like they've been placed by a kid with a sticker book?

Have some taste and decorum, for goodness sake.

portagee01

Post by portagee01 »

The first impression is that someone has been over enthusiastic with the Stickers when creating a fantasy British Airways scheme.

I don't see why the UK has to be in Yellow/Gold. The Blue would work just as well within the scheme and has been stated Royal Air Force would be better.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Some very strange choices for sure. The massive serial is the weirdest one for me.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Cant stand it and I believe the flag is the wrong way up from what I have read.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

AndyXH558 wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 8:48 am

It isn’t.

As per my cock up on the transport command Photoshop before I was told this fact - by Sam.

Flags on RAF aircraft are drawn/painted as if they are on a flagpole facing into wind... I.e. the flag is at the front of the aircraft. Therefore the thick white diagonal line in on top at the front of the tail on both sides.

Which is the correct way up, thick white diagonal on top against the flagpole.

Andy

Kip Casper

Post by Kip Casper »

All aircraft with flags on are painted as such. The attached link shows the Turkish flag on the starboard side painted the 'other way around'.
https://ahvalnews.com/aviation/turkish- ... -economist
http://www.gcse.com/english/there.htm - learn how to use 'their', 'there' and 'they're'.

portagee01

Post by portagee01 »

AndyXH558 wrote:
It’s correct when viewed from aircraft left, but wrong when viewed from aircraft right.

Archer

Post by Archer »

It's correct on both sides, same thing as walking around a flagpole and looking at it with the pole on the right (reverse side of the flag).

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

portagee01 wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 9:23 am
AndyXH558 wrote:
It’s correct when viewed from aircraft left, but wrong when viewed from aircraft right.
Look at both sides of the tail on the most famous presidential aircraft Airforce One. You’ve seen it a million times. Look at the flag on the tail on both sides.

As stated - You have to imagine the flag flying from a pole at the front of the aircraft. It’s normal on aircraft.

Last edited by ericbee123 on Fri 26 Jun 2020, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

ericbee123 wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 10:54 am
portagee01 wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 9:23 am
AndyXH558 wrote:
Look at both sides of the tail on the most famous presidential aircraft Airforce One. You’ve seen it a million times. Look at the flag on the tail on both sides.

they just got the number wrong...……..
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

I just couldn’t find a good enough picture of the other side of the same aircraft quickly.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

Bill16STN

Post by Bill16STN »

So let's get this right, Johnson thinks that turning up to prestigious international diplomatic conventions in a glitzy custom sprayed tanker is a good idea? :clown:

Del Boy & Rodders wouldn't even be impressed.
There is a subtile irony that he's painted the Union Flag on to a European Airbus - that won't be lost on a lot of people. :joy:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Bill16STN wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 2:43 pm
There is a subtile irony that he's painted the Union Flag on to a European Airbus - that won't be lost on a lot of people. :joy:
This can't be overstated!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Too many RAF identifiers, the small ones are a bit like the BOAC / BEA retro liveries' little BA markings and generally other clutter like the large aircraft ID and Union flags on the doors. The Union Flag wisps on the body are nice but don't really flow well with those on the tail unless you squint. The UK branding fits with the US / France type theme but why gold?

Better than the current French design; look forward to eventually seeing it in formation with the Reds
Last edited by Zoom on Fri 26 Jun 2020, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helired3

Post by helired3 »

Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_harrisuk/

Nikon D750
Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm pf
Nikon 300mm pf

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

The BR double arrow logo was always reversed on the starboard side of the funnels of the boats they operated but never on rolling stock

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

Bill16STN wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 2:43 pm
So let's get this right, Johnson thinks that turning up to prestigious international diplomatic conventions in a glitzy custom sprayed tanker is a good idea? :clown:

Del Boy & Rodders wouldn't even be impressed.
Sadly for the cynical, I think this was planned long before BoJo got anywhere near number 10.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Parliamentary question answers:
The number of occasions Voyager ZZ336 has been used on Prime Ministerial or Ministerial business since it was converted for its VIP role is given in the table below.
Voyager ZZ336 use in VIP role
FY 2016-17. 7
FY2017-18. 8
FY2018-19. 6
FY2019-20. 4
FY2020-21*. 0

The VIP Voyager aircraft is already used to fly senior Government Ministers and members of the Royal Family on official business. The decision to re-paint the VIP Voyager aircraft was taken to ensure that the aircraft could better represent and promote the UK around the world with national branding. The new livery will benefit the UK by more clearly promoting Global Britain the world over.

The decision to repaint the VIP Voyager - and approval of a design that best projected Global Britain - was taken on a cross-Government basis, to be funded by the Ministry of Defence.

The new livery, incorporating the Union Flag, represents Global Britain and will support the MOD’s Defence Task to promote UK prosperity. While the distinctive new livery will allow the aircraft to better represent the UK at high-profile events around the world, military Air to Air refuelling remains its primary mission. Decisions on whether to deploy the VIP Voyager aircraft, or other members of the Voyager fleet, on military operations will be taken on a case-by-case basis depending on the specific circumstances.

So it's repainted to better represent and promote the UK - but the MoD has to pay for it!

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Berf wrote:
Fri 26 Jun 2020, 7:13 pm

So it's repainted to better represent and promote the UK - but the MoD has to pay for it!
No, it's the UK taxpayer that has to pay for it, and besides, the MoD are more than capable of wasting FAR more of the publics' money than this little paint job cost!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I must say, it does look pretty top.

Euan Buchan

Post by Euan Buchan »

I actually quite like livery better then I thought it would be.
The Concorde Forum
A Site Dedicated For Concorde Fans
http://theconcordeforum.freeforums.net/

effects

Post by effects »

About time we had a VIP aircraft suitably marked to shuttle our leaders around, instead of leasing other nations assets. All this nonsense about 'former military aircraft' doing the rounds is ridiculous the white tanker fleet were fully operational.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)