Interest in watching a rocket launch?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum

Would you want to see this at an airshow?

Yes
74%
Dont care, seems irrelevant
26%

Total votes: 38

Bath Rocket Team

Interest in watching a rocket launch?

Post by Bath Rocket Team »

Hi everyone,

We're a team of engineers at the University of Bath attempting to design and manufacture a rocket for launch in the UK. One of the opportunities that we've identified for sponsorship and publicity is a spectator launch event at airshows like Duxford or the Air tattoo.

Based off of my own airshow experience, this is something id love to see! But what about you guys? We're looking at a launch to around 10-30,000 ft, running at just subsonic speeds. The rocket will be about 12ft tall.

Is this something you'd want to see? What would make it more spectacular? We're looking at options for coloured plumes, launching a flare at apogee etc.

FarnboroJohn

Re: Interest in watching a rocket launch?

Post by FarnboroJohn »

How does it affect H&S? How far away would you be required to launch it? What sort of insurance cover are you reckoning on having?

I'd like to see it but I think you may need to talk to someone skilled in events.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

....all I can say is a resounding HELL YES?!

That sounds seriously cool, I'd be all over something like that, especially with a prominent role for the UKSA and ESA in the Perseverance mission at the moment that would make a brilliant tie in for getting kids into space engineering.

It'd be a bit of a seller for a show for me as well, not gonna lie. Chance to see something like that.

Could you get it to launch fireworks off the side in flight? 😂 But something at apogee would be very cool.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | "soul-sapping mundanity"

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Sounds awesome to me.

Particularly at a show, say, at the end or beginning of a day. Like the traditional balloon launches at the end of some shows.

Thinking of RIAT, Fridays are traditionally reduced show days, and have school kids from the local area - probably an excellent opportunity for an evening launch or something.

Cole

Post by Cole »

100% Yes.

Would love to see it happen
Canon 750D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um.. :rofl:

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Mon 01 Mar 2021, 5:25 pm
How does it affect H&S? How far away would you be required to launch it? What sort of insurance cover are you reckoning on having?

I'd like to see it but I think you may need to talk to someone skilled in events.
Would also require a chat with the CAA regarding launching something into potentially active airspace.

ikarus

Post by ikarus »

Would have thought something like that would have to be done in a relatively remote area , with minimal population and outside of any major controlled airspace. How do you know were the thing is going to come down ?

Bath Rocket Team

Post by Bath Rocket Team »

Thanks everyone for the enthusiasm and questions.

As a few of you have noticed, health and safety is a big concern.

We are currently in concept phase, but we have a number of strategies to combat this. In short the rocket will use a highly robust and redundant recovery system to come down safely. We have active control surfaces and mission planning algorithms that will (Fingers crossed!) bring the rocket down slowly and to a preplanned landing location. Now we are currently using a parachute as the main method recovery so obviously a key concern here is wind and weather conditions, but we are hoping to offest with our control measures.

If anything, we want the recovery to be a part of the display, making it last a bit longer (We should reach apogee in less than a minute) and also an exciting process, without being too exciting as people are scared it will hit them or their expensive range rover in the car park!

Any other suggestions or concerns Im eager to hear them.

Marathon Milkshake

Post by Marathon Milkshake »

Make it entertaining! faff about for half an hour before launch and everyone will be bored stupid! get on, launch it, recover it, get off before the boredom sets in...

The most interesting parts of any live launch on Youtube or wherever is the last minute before launch, watching the thing go up, then if its the Space X watching the boosters land etc etc

The faffing about before is just sooooooooo dull!
Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

I helped co-ordinate a series of rocket launches at a Cockpit-Fest event at NAM in the early 2000s, this was in conjunction with a keen amateur who had a long history of successful launches in the Midlands area. He had all the airspace notifications, PL insurance etc. in place and we established control zones around our relatively small 16 acre site.

During the Saturday he launched rockets of increasing size, without too many issues. However the final launch with the largest rocket was where we encountered landing problems; this was due to a sudden change of wind direction after launch. The rocket c/w parachute landed in the car park, narrowly missing parked cars and visitors; the decision was taken not to repeat the planned launches on the Sunday.

Good luck with your project and I will be interested to see if you get permission to proceed.
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
http://newarkairmuseum.org

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Might make the C-130s Khe San approach a bit more exciting.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I'd be very interested but you've got no chance at either Duxford or Fairford if you're thinking of anywhere near 10,000ft. I seem to recall Fairford's RA(T) only extends to 7,000ft, and Duxford's is much lower due to Stansted's airspace (and soon, Luton's airspace grab!)

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Hmmmmmm.

When they've performed any kind of rocket launches on TV for some stunt, everyone is sent to a concrete bunker during the launch.

Are we going to have to build a concrete revetment at Fairford to hide 75,000 people? Its bad enough all the complaints regarding the hospitality tents taking up the crowdline, I can't see this going down too well?

And god forbid!
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

We have parachutists at airshows. They're not always fully in control of where they are going to land.

What is life without a bit of a risk?

3-2-1....blast off I say.