14th May - Evening of Espionage Show

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
boff180
UKAR Staff

14th May - Evening of Espionage Show

Post by boff180 »

This new theme was announced this morning....

They're running the car parking box format again for this show.... £7 for a car of up to five people but each person in the car must also hold a valid Airshow Ticket, adult tickets are currently £32 per person in advance for the show.
Evening of Espionage Drive-in Air Show

Saturday 14 May 2022

From the Special Operations Executives in the Second World War through to observers in Korea and Vietnam, our Evening of Espionage will pay homage to all who served in the intelligence and observation branches, conducting Sneaky Beaky operations.

From Lysanders to Bird Dogs, our evening air show will highlight the role these personnel played, and the importance of their work.

Drive-in Pricing
Each party must book EITHER:

5×5 metre box for a car with up to 5 people inside OR
2.5×5 metre box for up to two pedestrians/two cyclists/one motorcyclist and guest OR
4.5×8 metre box for all vehicles over 2 metres high, 2.5 metres wide or 5 metres in length.

Each person must also have a valid air show ticket.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: 14th May - Evening of Espionage Show

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Why on Earth would they be putting people in boxes again? what a head scratcher!

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

This (and the other evening shows) have always been advertised as Drive in events and they have retained the same system as last year. Not sure why you think this is new?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

It makes the show extremely poor value for money, be it 1 or 5 people in a car.

£39 (if one person) to be forced to sit next to your car for just a 3.5hr display, yet be allowed to walk around an airfield freely before hand in the current scheme of things is not viable sadly, and also arguably no longer necessary.

If they were allowing people to sit on the crowd line then that may have been just about palatable, but (as we understand) they aren't - you must return to your box for the flying

I understand some will go for the atmosphere but from a pure show perspective it isn't worth it and I won't be going.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I knew they were always listed as drive-ins, but I’m not sure why? The drive-in format didn’t tempt me in the pandemic, it’s absolutely never going to as things get back to normal. Photography is one of the main reasons I attend and the chance of being stuck in row Z, without the freedom to take a variety of photos as things crew-in, start-up etc holds no appeal to me.

I’ll probably be attacked for saying it but the prices for all these OW shows now are too much - ultimately it’s 95% repeated content each fortnight and it’s usually the remaining 5% of visiting aircraft that would determine my attendance one way or another, along with a favourable weather forecast. The cost to see one or two visiting warbirds now is too high and it’s only making Duxford more and more appealing tbh; their shows don’t cost *that* much more and in terms of warbird ‘star power’, it’s night and day.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Completely agree Dan, I'll also get bashed for this but people berate Duxford and RIAT ticket prices but almost treat Shuttleworth as a sacred object.

On a cost per hour rate for displays, RIAT is far more value for money and both it and Duxford attract more variety or have more unique ground displays - the museum and ground display element at Shuttleworth very rarely changes show to show.

Post by 5944 »

I understand you're not restricted to your box during the display, so you can wander down to the flightline for the show as normal.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

5944 wrote:
Fri 08 Apr 2022, 12:07 pm
I understand you're not restricted to your box during the display, so you can wander down to the flightline for the show as normal.
I've heard otherwise, but if you're right then that just makes the drive in format even more bizarre. With the cost of parking added on to the ticket price, if I were to attend the show on my own, it would be more expensive than a normal airshow day, but for half the show?!

wdg

Post by wdg »

I actually liked the drive-in format, it was nice (especially in the last couple of years) not to have to worry about the usual fight to get to the front, and made for a more laid-back experience. I always made sure I got there early and I always managed to get a good box.

I wouldn't have minded them continuing the format, maybe for shows at the start and end of the season where using the car to shelter from the weather might be welcome. But I don't understand them doing it mid season and I really don't understand the pricing. I expect I'll just be going to the Sunday shows this year.
2022: As many displays as I can get to
http://www.flickr.com/people/161562983@N04

Post by 5944 »

jalfrezi wrote:
Fri 08 Apr 2022, 12:47 pm
5944 wrote:
Fri 08 Apr 2022, 12:07 pm
I've heard otherwise, but if you're right then that just makes the drive in format even more bizarre. With the cost of parking added on to the ticket price, if I were to attend the show on my own, it would be more expensive than a normal airshow day, but for half the show?!
There's nothing in the FAQs on the show page about remaining in your box during the flying.
Can I reserve a specific space?

Unfortunately all spaces are on a first come first serve basis, so you will not be able to reserve a specific space.

Am I allowed to walk around the site?

Once you have parked your car, you will be able to walk around the site and enjoy all of the facilities, including our trading stalls, hangars, catering outlets and more.
I've asked the question anyway, hopefully they'll respond. But yes, it does seem crazy to have to pay to park when you don't for a normal show. But then a lot of the decisions Shuttleworth have made over the last few years don't make any sense.

Post by 5944 »

Reply from Shuttleworth - basically a copy and paste of their FAQ answer.

Good Afternoon. Thank you for your comment. Once you have parked your car, you will be able to walk around the site and enjoy all of the facilities, including our trading stalls, hangars, catering outlets and more.

Mike

Post by Mike »

So it's basically way of levying a parking charge by stealth on shows that are traditionally undersubscribed.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Mike wrote:
Fri 08 Apr 2022, 4:37 pm
So it's basically way of levying a parking charge by stealth on shows that are traditionally undersubscribed.
Looks that way, so, unless you can fill your car with more paying punters you're going to face a pretty steep surcharge to attend.

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Bizarre decision. I thought it must have been an error when the dates for the year where originally published. Suggest everyone to drop them an email to express their dissatisfaction.

Orion

Post by Orion »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Fri 08 Apr 2022, 11:49 am
I knew they were always listed as drive-ins, but I’m not sure why? The drive-in format didn’t tempt me in the pandemic, it’s absolutely never going to as things get back to normal. Photography is one of the main reasons I attend and the chance of being stuck in row Z, without the freedom to take a variety of photos as things crew-in, start-up etc holds no appeal to me.

I’ll probably be attacked for saying it but the prices for all these OW shows now are too much - ultimately it’s 95% repeated content each fortnight and it’s usually the remaining 5% of visiting aircraft that would determine my attendance one way or another, along with a favourable weather forecast. The cost to see one or two visiting warbirds now is too high and it’s only making Duxford more and more appealing tbh; their shows don’t cost *that* much more and in terms of warbird ‘star power’, it’s night and day.
Yep

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

This was the response I got from SW this morning:

"We have decided to keep the Drive-in format for our Air Shows this year as they proved extremely popular with our customers last year.
Although everyone is allocated a space next to their car to sit in, it is not compulsory to do so and a small viewing area will be available."

Orion

Post by Orion »

I'll stay away

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

BrawlerO wrote:
Mon 11 Apr 2022, 8:30 am
This was the response I got from SW this morning:

"We have decided to keep the Drive-in format for our Air Shows this year as they proved extremely popular with our customers last year.
Although everyone is allocated a space next to their car to sit in, it is not compulsory to do so and a small viewing area will be available."
"a small viewing area".. where to start with that one. I think the whole thing is very strange, all in all.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Surely they realise the drive in format was only 'extremely popular' because it was one of the only formats that was able to go ahead during the restrictions?

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

For a display themed as espionage there only seems to be a pair of aircraft that meet that theme but it does say visiting aircraft list is incomplete

Post by 5944 »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
Tue 12 Apr 2022, 10:51 pm
For a display themed as espionage there only seems to be a pair of aircraft that meet that theme but it does say visiting aircraft list is incomplete
And the one aircraft that has been announced hasn't moved from the corner of the hangar for 6 months. Cutting it a bit fine for flying in a month's time?

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

In the hope that the Trust actually look at this (in which case the more voices the better) I'll add my displeasure at the retention of the drive-in format. What was an acceptable emergency measure is a stupid, unwelcome nonsense now.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Couple of bird dogs added

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I'm increasingly concerned that Shuttleworth have lost the plot. I'm certainly giving this one a miss. Absurd pricing.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

I think they have slightly the price is why I’m not bothering with the opening show and waiting until the navy day