Cosford Airshow 2022

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: Cosford Airshow 2022

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

I can't see the embedded Facebook Jason, but have seen the tweet showing a number of airframes being placed outside ready for the show; the most interesting one being the Pucara. Missing its outer wings.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

It also said the flying display well not be 6 hours and only be afternoon. No timings mentioned.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

I don't mind we're not getting a full programme (What they have is decent enough at any UK show), but I'd like to know how long the 'full afternoon' intends to be - I'm guessing it will be 12-4?

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Wed 08 Jun 2022, 3:58 pm
I can't see the embedded Facebook Jason, but have seen the tweet showing a number of airframes being placed outside ready for the show; the most interesting one being the Pucara. Missing its outer wings.
Sorry, posted from my phone.

This is what was said
As you can see from the attached images, work is underway to start to prepare the Cosford Air Show for this Sunday. Aircraft are starting to be moved into position and vendors are arriving. Work continues apace to finalise the flying display; this will likely continue up until the day prior to the air show. We have not yet announced all of the aircraft taking part.

This year has presented many unique challenges for the team who are making the air show happen. From announcing that the air show would take place less than 5 months ago we are now, after a Covid-enforced 3-year break, going to deliver a spectacular day. As in previous years, where we had longer to plan, we had fully intended to deliver a 6-hour flying display but that has proved not to be possible. Rather this year, we will deliver a full afternoon of flying which will include, among others, the RAF Falcons, RAF Red Arrows, Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, Typhoon Display, Chinook Display, French Rafale, Belgian F16 and, for the first time, an RAF F35B Lightning.

As you know, an air show is so much more than a flying display. On the ground there will be a stunning Coronation Village, dozens of static aircraft – some of which you can climb in – as well as aeronautical engineering displays from the RAF and some of our Defence partners. Whether you are 8 or 80, there is going to be something for everyone.
It is going to be a great day and we look forward to welcoming you all on Sunday.

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

Flare Path wrote:
Wed 08 Jun 2022, 4:37 pm
I don't mind we're not getting a full programme (What they have is decent enough at any UK show), but I'd like to know how long the 'full afternoon' intends to be - I'm guessing it will be 12-4?
I think i saw couple of pages back the reds have a NOTAM in place for 15.30ish so i think we may see the falcons at 12 then a break till 1pm then flying from 13.00 till 17.00. if they close the show with the reds the traffic will be even worse than normal.
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

Cole

Post by Cole »

rdchawk wrote:
Wed 08 Jun 2022, 4:11 pm
It also said the flying display well not be 6 hours and only be afternoon. No timings mentioned.
How about respond to people willing to be in the display then you might be able to get 6 hours!
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Great so they advertise their tickets for months and on the website it said six hours then with days to go they say “oh by the way the displays not 6 hours” 😂

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Just get the jets to do multiple displays, everybody's happy. Easy this Airshow planning business.

Cole

Post by Cole »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
Wed 08 Jun 2022, 7:10 pm
Great so they advertise their tickets for months and on the website it said six hours then with days to go they say “oh by the way the displays not 6 hours” 😂
I think we should get a proportion of money back. I totally understand operation commitments, weather, serviceabilty. But when there never was 6 hours of flying displays there is no excuse.
Its like going to the cinema and paying to see a film with a runtime of 2 hours, an hour in it stops and they tell you that they didnt plan the film very well and didn't film the ending!

I just hope they have a new team in place by next year.
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Or, it's like going to a football match and your favourite players aren't selected.

Or like going to a concert and you you leave stamping your feet because they didn't play your favourite songs.

To be quite honest, all this talk about the JP/ Strikemaster pair is based on a bit of he said she said. It is assumed that's the truth- but you don't know it is.

To the casual observer (which is probably well over 75% of the crowd) the pairs display is no more exciting or memorable than a vintage helicopter or the tutor display. It's no more than filler in a normal year to most people.

Just as a polite suggestion, if you're genuinely so dissatisfied with the lineup perhaps sell your ticket to one of the chaps who've posted elsewhere on here who are desperate to go.

Stu666

Post by Stu666 »

Luke28 wrote:
Wed 08 Jun 2022, 7:19 pm
Just get the jets to do multiple displays, everybody's happy. Easy this Airshow planning business.
:rofl: :rofl:

Not a bad idea actually, I'd rather see a fast jet display multiple times than a Chipmunk pootling around.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Line up does seem good still, I am a little annoyed they waited until show was sold out until they said they can't give us 6 hours but I am guessing money shortfalls from no shows in 3 years, and roll-over tickets heavily impacted plans.

F16, Typhoon, F35, Rafale, and Reds are probably the biggest collection of jet displays in the UK this year outside of RIAT. Team Raven do a great display and great to see Rich Goodwin on the show. International participation despite less than 5 months planning time is fantastic.

The issue is, and always will be the way they have communicated things this year, it's been dreadful. Though you can only post confirmed aircraft when they are actually confirmed, we still know little about whats going on around the site this year.

It will still be a great day, even 4 1/2 hours of display time is better than what we've had in the last few years. The show itself will be highly enjoyable, but there needs to be an admission that lessons need to be learnt before 2023 comes around by the new team.

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

Cole wrote:
Wed 08 Jun 2022, 8:01 pm
UKAirshowTour wrote:
I think we should get a proportion of money back. I totally understand operation commitments, weather, serviceabilty. But when there never was 6 hours of flying displays there is no excuse.
Its like going to the cinema and paying to see a film with a runtime of 2 hours, an hour in it stops and they tell you that they didnt plan the film very well and didn't film the ending!

You cannot compare an air show to going to see a film, and best of luck getting some of your money back. Tickets make it very clear if the event does not go ahead or anything does not take place no refunds. Had Cosford really wanted to they could have said to those who had a ticket in 2020 sorry but coronavirus means your ticket is now null and void, you will need to buy a new one for our next air show.

As for hope a new team in place for 2023, lets give this team a chance given they had five months to get the show up and running, and while it might not be the biggest in terms of display length show Cosford have put on to get anything arranged at fairly short notice shows promise for 2023 onwards when hopefully a full year of planning and work can go into the event.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

As a punter, especially as an enthusiast, the best way to improve any show as a whole is not to ask for money back, but to raise the concerns/problems in a constructive way, and then, if you can, purchase a ticket for next year (and if they still don’t improve the following year, then vote with your feet).

It’s easier for airshows to fix problems with full coffers and constructive criticism rather than an empty bank account and incoherent Facebook-esque rants.

Credit to them for putting on a show this year (with a pretty decent flying display, if a bit short). It would have been easier for them to write it off, and they didn’t. They deserve credit for strapping their nuts on and getting down to it as best they could/can.

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

My biggest frustration here has not been the final line-up, its been the comms. They've done themselves no favours by now giving this info, the week of the show. As it stands, there's a couple of really good items in the flying and with some transparency earlier in the process, they could have at least managed expectation or got the sympathetic vote of exceptional circumstance. Not even responding to the strikemaster pair tells me it's a cash flow thing which they must have known about when they decided to go ahead... or possibly complete arrogance - which I don't believe is the case for one minute.

It all just feels like it could have been handled much better.

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

Tommy wrote:
Wed 08 Jun 2022, 10:02 pm
As a punter, especially as an enthusiast, the best way to improve any show as a whole is not to ask for money back, but to raise the concerns/problems in a constructive way, and then, if you can, purchase a ticket for next year (and if they still don’t improve the following year, then vote with your feet).
Agreed, especially seeing as they had their own moment a few years ago with the getting on and off base and, as a result, went back and dealt with it and upgraded the show experience for traffic ever since.

Cole

Post by Cole »

borismorris wrote:
Wed 08 Jun 2022, 8:26 pm
Or, it's like going to a football match and your favourite players aren't selected.

Or like going to a concert and you you leave stamping your feet because they didn't play your favourite songs.

Just as a polite suggestion, if you're genuinely so dissatisfied with the lineup perhaps sell your ticket to one of the chaps who've posted elsewhere on here who are desperate to go.
Im not disatisfied at all. Rafale, f16, a109 are good pulls but id like to see a full display even if it is just "filler" like we were promised, Telling everyone that they cant deliver it less than 4 days before gates open and over a week after all tickets sold out is a little shady.

If i brought a ticket to a football match id want them to play the full 90 minutes though.
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Cole wrote:
Wed 08 Jun 2022, 11:24 pm
borismorris wrote:
Wed 08 Jun 2022, 8:26 pm

If i brought a ticket to a football match id want them to play the full 90 minutes though.
You've obviously never been to a Villa match ;)

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

For me now personally I don't care how long the display is but it's how it's now time managed. Please don't let there b e loads of gaps I can not speak for everyone but I would rather 4 hours solid wall to wall flying than try to drag out time to 5 or 5 and half hours with gaps of 10 minutes or more between items.
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

Mike

Post by Mike »

I’m sure it will still be better than Yeovilton this year, so I’m still really looking forward to the weekend.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Cole wrote:
Wed 08 Jun 2022, 8:01 pm
UKAirshowTour wrote:

I'm kind of not involved because I was never going, but just a word on next year. If this year has been an avoidable cock-up resulting from management not using all the data that is just "out there" for event running in general and any information about Cosford from archive, then the team leader needs to go. That's (a) accountability and (b) recognition that someone else with better management skills will do better. However, the team itself will have learned a good deal from this year's experience.... do you really want another totally new team that may be starting all over again, or the one that has learned from experience?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Its all a bit weird this year.

Getting the Whirlwind and Sea King to an RAF airshow and without a full display letting them fester in the static?

A website with a layout so bad, listing a Marines Gazelle and a Pucara under RAF, but the F-35B and Chinook under Military partners along with a Navy Wings Wasp?

The don't tell anyone until the last minute, but we ain't got 6 hours flying display, approach. Were they ever intending to try or is it a case of not enough money for flying items, eg Historic helicopters, Vampire, when they were already attending? In which case just be honest from the outset.

Not their finest build up, hopefully the show will go smoothly and the Rafale is on as late as possible in the display.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Mike

Post by Mike »

Let me fix that for you
capercaillie wrote:
Thu 09 Jun 2022, 7:54 am
hopefully the show will go smoothly and the Rafale is on as early as possible in the display.
...so we can get out early before the traffic

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Mike wrote:
Thu 09 Jun 2022, 8:30 am
Let me fix that for you
capercaillie wrote:
Thu 09 Jun 2022, 7:54 am
hopefully the show will go smoothly and the Rafale is on as early as possible in the display.
...so we can get out early before the traffic
No fixing there, the earlier it is the crappier it will be for light at Cosford. They got it right last time with the P-3 and Gripen at the end, rather than in 2018 with the Polish MiG29 on as a sihouette.

If you are worried about traffic, you may as well go shopping.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Mgmarky

Post by Mgmarky »

Personally I believe finances have played a major part in the line up this year.
Going forward we as enthusiasts can only hope that the airshow survives as the airshow scene as a whole has been decimated over the last 20 years.
The appetite for shows is clearly there as the show sells out year on year, we'll just have to enjoy what we've got and I for one will and hope that it doesn't suffer from last minute cancellations.