Obscene food prices at Cosford, time to boycott.

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
TheMaster

Re: Obscene food prices at Cosford, time to boycott.

Post by TheMaster »

There were lots of free water tanks around, brightish blue, same at Fairford.

Mike

Post by Mike »

TheMaster wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 9:30 am
I thought the same at La Ferté last week, until I saw Frenchmen standing there peeing into them! :rofl:

Post by 5944 »

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Mike wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 9:33 am
TheMaster wrote:
I thought the same at La Ferté last week, until I saw Frenchmen standing there peeing into them! :rofl:
Does anyone remember the year at Fairford when they brought in a few sets of ‘continental’ style urinals but didn’t worry about having any screens around them?

So you were standing in the middle of the crowd area, John Thomas in hand, for all and sundry to see.
Ken

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Tommy wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 8:57 am
The prices were ridiculous, yes. But quite why that’s a surprise or an outrage is a bit odd to me. It’s always been that way. Just vote with your feet and bring your own stuff. I sometimes use them if I fancy something, but mostly I just bring food/drink in with me.

The one thing I don’t like at events is charging usual obscene amounts for water. I think at open air events that clean drinking water ought to be supplied for free (or very discounted) and regularly around the place - particularly given that people are out in the sun with little cover for up to 12 hours.

RIAT do this quite well with their water bowers, but I’m not sure I’ve seen the same at other venues/events. If organisers don’t want to include water bowsers, then they ought to cap/subsidise the vendors for bottled water.
Then again if you've seen the current water levels in the Elan Valley at the moment supplying water to the West Midlands, they probably haven't got enough reserves to fill any water bowsers.

Global warming - and then they fly all of these aircraft pumping out greenhouse gases. :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :japanese_ogre: :ghost:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Mike

Post by Mike »

Ken Shabby wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 9:38 am
Mike wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 9:33 am
TheMaster wrote:
Does anyone remember the year at Fairford when they brought in a few sets of ‘continental’ style urinals but didn’t worry about having any screens around them?

So you were standing in the middle of the crowd area, John Thomas in hand, for all and sundry to see.
Yep, that's just how it is at French airshows. One of the toilet areas at La Ferté was in an open field area with families picnicking right next to them. It didn't seem to bother anyone!

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

On a visit to an airshow at Gilze Rijen (NL) on a very hot day they already had water bowsers dotted about over the site. In addition they had walk-thru cold water mist showers & free 2 litre water bottles handed out by Military personnel from a continuously forklift supplied pallet-mountain!
Cost of admission to said event was zero, free, nada, zilch! :wink:

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Totally agree, prices are ridiculous but like many here we've always brought our own grub with us to graze on during the day. We usually have an ice cream wandering the static in the evening at Fairford, that's about it.

I will make an exception at The Victory Show however - we always have something from the Picks Organic Farm stall - bloody amazing and tasty!

And I'm sure it's things like that which help make the day for visitors.
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

UKTopgun wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 8:00 am
It's true that most vans at airshows sell stale and horrible food but it's a problem in all venues not just airshows, as others have said.

What I did find odd at Duxford a few years ago was at least one barbecue type thing was operated totally by Scots, now I have nothing against that but if they had to travel from Glasgow or whatever it's no wonder they were recouping fuel costs! Seemed an odd choice by DX to book catering from the other end of the country!

Anyway, I do sometimes get food from vans but more often take my own nowadays. Problem with taking food can sometimes be that it's a mess after 8 hours in my bag! I don't carry a coolbag as it's too bulky with the other stuff like a chair etc.
I have two rucksacks - a 'cool rucksack' and a 'normal' one - and obviously put food in the cool one. It is very handy, certainly if I am near/can access the car during the show. I can choose to carry one or the other.

I found a little place (a little French-type van and BBQ alongside) on the walk up to the large Museum building and bought a large sausage bap for £4.00 for breakfast (and a coffee in one of the hangars). And had lunch with me.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Just moved this to the relevant subforum
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I always freeze my drinking water the night before an airshow - as it melts you get ice cold water all day long and it helps keep my food cool throughout the day too.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 12:14 pm
I always freeze my drinking water the night before an airshow - as it melts you get ice cold water all day long and it helps keep my food cool throughout the day too.
This is a very good tip - I always do this now if the weather is set to be warm. Learned it off here many years ago. :slight_smile:

Mike

Post by Mike »

Stagger2 wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 10:19 am
On a visit to an airshow at Gilze Rijen (NL) on a very hot day they already had water bowsers dotted about over the site. In addition they had walk-thru cold water mist showers & free 2 litre water bottles handed out by Military personnel from a continuously forklift supplied pallet-mountain!
Do they still have military air shows in The Netherlands?

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Mike wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 8:27 am
UKTopgun wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 8:00 am
What I did find odd at Duxford a few years ago was at least one barbecue type thing was operated totally by Scots, now I have nothing against that but if they had to travel from Glasgow or whatever it's no wonder they were recouping fuel costs! Seemed an odd choice by DX to book catering from the other end of the country!
For years now, pretty much the entire food and drink concession at Duxford has been let to a company who bring the staff in from Scotland for each event.
That's very interesting and seems mad to me! Re water bowsers, Old Buck always have one for dogs!

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

Mike wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 12:20 pm
Stagger2 wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 10:19 am
Do they still have military air shows in The Netherlands?
The last one they did was Luchtmachtdagen at Volkel in 2019.....I went to the previous shows held at Gilze-Rijen in 2014 & Leeuwarden in 2016. It's a brilliant event, & as said above is free to enter. Worth attending one of these for the RNLAF Airpower set piece demo alone!

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

I'm sure RIAT have had water bowsers before for drinking water when its ben a warm weekend
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Bodz156 wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 12:16 pm
This is a very good tip - I always do this now if the weather is set to be warm. Learned it off here many years ago. :slight_smile:
Recommend doing the same with a damp towel or face cloth the night before a show, leave it in the boot of your car and at the end of the day when you get back it's lovely and cold, which is refreshing ahead of a long drive home!

JMC

Post by JMC »

This thread was giving off RIAT toilet thread vibes at points, love it.

I remember at RIAT a few years ago, there was a pitta stall (or stool for the bants) which was selling chicken tikka and yogurt pittas for about £4.50! It was so good.

2e1var

Post by 2e1var »

If they had massive queues all day then I'd suggest they put their prices up, supply and demand. If you dont like it dont buy it.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G