Luchtmachtdagen 2016 at Leeuwarden

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Bodz156

Luchtmachtdagen 2016 at Leeuwarden

Post by Bodz156 »

Another of my European air show visits. Heard Leeuwarden was probably the best of the 3 RNLAF bases that they hold this show at, so took the trip up there for this one. I did the Thursday arrivals day, unfortunately that was marred a little by the Patrouille Suisse accident (no serious injury occured) but the weather was the best of the whole weekend....the Friday show day on the fence-line, then the Saturday show day checking out the static & watching without photos. A great event, free entry, free shuttle buses from the main railway station, & my only chance up to now to see The Turkish Stars display team.

The best looking 'Fulcrum' I think I've seen...

These last few are of the RNLAF air power demonstration, which involved 10 F-16s, 2 F-35As, a C-130H & assorted helicopters. Hard to describe the aerial mayhem really + ground pyros going off, but it was easily the best set piece I've seen anywhere up to now.

Oh, and I saw this while wandering around the base on the Saturday....wasn't expecting it! :grin:

Andyph

Re: Luchtmachtdagen 2016 at Leeuwarden

Post by Andyph »

I was there also, great show.
Even the prang on Thusday didnt slow them down
Shame about the weather on the show days - but the Dutch just pressed on regardless.

The set piece was awesome - never seen anything like that in this country and been going to airshows since 77.

What a complete contrast to RAF's own airshow (Cosford) which is so lacklustre from the RAF's attendance (Fairford too really)

Or put it another way - Imagine Cosford and/or Fairford having a 45 minute RAF Role Demo - with a dozen or more Typhoons/F35s making high speed/low level airfield attacks and plenty of other assorted types - the sky full of Aeroplanes/Noise and Pyros for the whole period.

Where was the Su-7? missed that

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

I'm a bit hazy on where that Su-7 was...I think it was near where they had the 'Orange Jumper' F-16BM parked....

Yeah the RNLAF really do an amazing job with that role demonstration. Seen similar from the Belgian AF & Austrian armed forces at their events but not on that scale! It must be a great recruitment tool. Imagine the RAF producing something anywhere near....they struggle to manage even flypasts at the large air shows here.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Bodz156 wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022, 10:08 am
Yeah the RNLAF really do an amazing job with that role demonstration. Seen similar from the Belgian AF & Austrian armed forces at their events but not on that scale! It must be a great recruitment tool. Imagine the RAF producing something anywhere near....they struggle to manage even flypasts at the large air shows here.
Totally!