RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
JMC

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by JMC »

jules48 wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 9:12 am
Looks like people already getting hot and bothered on here already and thats before the temperature reaches its peak.haha.enjoy.
And the show’s not cancelled? Ridiculous. There needs to be a law that prevents events going ahead in these conditions. The pilots should refuse to fly also!

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

Fantastic day yesterday, the Austrian QRA demo is a real joy!

I was in the Red car park - I think the two vehicle entrance/exits have been reduced to one this year, with the gate nearest the runway threshold being made pedestrian only. It confused me briefly on the Wednesday looking to make a right turn into P&V East - it just meant moving up briefly to 'gate E'. Although it was taking quite a while to clear the red car park on Sat evening - hundreds of cars all heading to one little gate.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

The Wessex placed “in the top ten” for Concours d’Elegance.

I voted for the Sentinel re best paint job.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

JMC wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 9:40 am
jules48 wrote:
Looks like people already getting hot and bothered on here already and thats before the temperature reaches its peak.haha.enjoy.
And the show’s not cancelled? Ridiculous. There needs to be a law that prevents events going ahead in these conditions. The pilots should refuse to fly also!
The pilots are probably keen to get powered up and the aircon on.

bedfordshirevulcan

Post by bedfordshirevulcan »

paulb1973 wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 10:06 am

I was in the Red car park - I think the two vehicle entrance/exits have been reduced to one this year, with the gate nearest the runway threshold being made pedestrian only. It confused me briefly on the Wednesday looking to make a right turn into P&V East - it just meant moving up briefly to 'gate E'. Although it was taking quite a while to clear the red car park on Sat evening - hundreds of cars all heading to one little gate.
New layout in red seemed much slower to exit also didn't help a internal road think for their buses was crossing it and took priority over people exiting

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 9:22 am
Chris G wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 9:16 am
Does anyone know who won what awards last night please?
I remember seeing the Irish PC-12 and it's crew taking photos of a reward they won yesterday- I just don't know what for
“280” won the Concours d’ Elegance award for best static display aircraft at #RIAT22
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Meep

Post by Meep »

bedfordshirevulcan wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 10:24 am
paulb1973 wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 10:06 am

New layout in red seemed much slower to exit also didn't help a internal road think for their buses was crossing it and took priority over people exiting
I think that was simply a question of timing, the bus I was on was held for ages for cars leaving

fire3

Post by fire3 »

Arrived at yesterdays show around 0815 via the red route, traffic seamed right be flowing very well.

The Black Eagles, Austrian role demo and the c-27 Display were fantastic.

The only bad points of the day were the lack of phone signal or work meaning most vendors could only accept cash.

The worst thing we witnessed all day was one muppet was kicking off at the E-4 crew as they wouldn’t let him
Walk around underneath it and another shouting at a bowser driver as he was i the way of his photo shot!

Red out in exit at 7pm was flowing very well
Overall a very hot and enjoyable day.
Roll on next year.

Meep

Post by Meep »

fire3 wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 11:21 am
The worst thing we witnessed all day was one muppet was kicking off at the E-4 crew as they wouldn’t let him
Walk around underneath it and another shouting at a bowser driver as he was i the way of his photo shot!
Unless they make examples out of those who do such things people will just keep doing it. If they kicked people out the show or enclosure and made a few announcements to explain consequences of anti social behaviour then it would stop quickly. People won't risk it if they knew there were actual consequences

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

Any idea why the Austrian role demo was cut short today? Disappointing.

Seafuryfan

Post by Seafuryfan »

Sunday: what happened to the dynamic part of the Austrian Typhoon duo? Herc lands, fast and slow fly-by, then Typhoons land. Still, Saturday was great.

a3w13photography

Post by a3w13photography »

They said about an emergency but not requiring further assistance on landing. Unfortunate but these things happen
Check out my instagram www.instagram.com/a3w1301 for photos. Seem to post a lot over there 🤷‍♂️

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

One of the typhoons had a minor problem and it landed. If it went into the full dogfight demo a minor problem could have turned into a major one. Shame about no extra flypast too. Watching on planes tv today as the heat really got to me yesterday 😀

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

For all the fuss, it doesn't feel any worse than yesterday.

Talk of cancellation is over the top in my opinion. I'm curious, does anyone who thinks it should be cancelled have a ticket?

I'd be surprised if anyone that had prepared properly encountered any problems though I understand that people with existing conditions might experience difficulties. There does appear to be many people who's idea of preparation is to be topless and drink lager and I suspect that's where the problems come.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

G-CVIX wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 3:00 pm
Went tech.

For all the fuss, it doesn't feel any worse than yesterday.

Talk of cancellation is over the top in my opinion. I'm curious, does anyone who thinks it should be cancelled have a ticket?

I'd be surprised if anyone that had prepared properly encountered any problems though I understand that people with existing conditions might experience difficulties. There does appear to be many people who's idea of preparation is to be topless and drink lager and I suspect that's where the problems come.
It's only marginally hotter than yesterday and feels to be dropping faster as well.

Cancellation would have been stupid.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

'Ebay' what a nice nickname 😄

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

As for the hot weather there was lots of irresponsible people. Pregnant women, kids without hats, elderly people in the open... one thing that could be improved is the free water points as they were running out and not replaced.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Shame about the viper breaking down. I am lucky enough to see it at Eastbourne this year. Hopefully they don't repaint it for next year.

coanda

Post by coanda »

Purely selfishly I'm pleased I got to see both the F16 schemes in the displays over the past few days.

Its been hot and it felt like it was becoming a bit of an endurance test in the friat stand towards the end. I'm way past 7 litres of drink now.

Took too many photos, probably didn't put enough suntan lotion on and didn't get enough sleep. Had a great day!

CJS

Post by CJS »

JMC wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 9:40 am
jules48 wrote:
2 things:
1. JMC if you're being serious then please, please realise that you are talking utter codswallop.
2. jules48 "haha.enjoy". Nice, classy that is :rolling_eyes:

I'll comment on the show separately, just the weather for now:

Cancellation would have been totally ridiculous - all those who've been suggesting it are, frankly, talking nonsense.

I've just got home - arrived at 630, left just after 5. Now, here's the funny thing: I didn't get heatstroke, neither did my 6 year old son. Or feel sick, or get a headache, or anything other than slightly browner arms.

How? I hear you cry, how did you manage this appalling day that should have been cancelled?

Well, by not being stupid. Here are my tips for hot weather:

1. Drink water
2. Use suncream
3. Have some time in the shade

I mean come off it - it's as stupid as having to be told to wash your hands after going to the loo.

It was completely fine. To the cancellation posse - grow up.

Rant over - amazing day and I'll post about that when I have slightly more time.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

CJS

Post by CJS »

Ok Ok, I've just realised that neither JMC or jules48 were probably being serious - still I'm not deleting my post because some people were being stupid about the heat warnings earlier! :-p
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Meep

Post by Meep »

I don't think anyone was being stupid with the heat warnings so having a go at people is just being immature and childish.

The reality is was people showed concern because its a serious issue. Its great so many people enjoyed it safely, its also unfortunate that the weather meant some people did suffer, or couldn't go at all.

So rather than having a go at people for being concerned, why not just be grateful you had a good show, because some people couldn't.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I can't help but wonder whether some people on here have ever been to the Med for a summer holiday?

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

It was very warm, but manageable. Plenty of water, top up sun cream every hour or so and find shade occasionally when it's getting to you.

I found the breeze today to be lovely and helped keep it a bit cooler even with it hitting 31c.

Its about personal responsibility. But given how we got on during Covid, that's shown to be lacking in the UK.

Great day today in Pimms :) topping off an amazing weekend.

JMC

Post by JMC »

CJS of course I was being tongue in cheek!

& i’ve been to hotter RIAT’s.