Aircraft in the movies...Black Widow

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Lightningkid70

Aircraft in the movies...Black Widow

Post by Lightningkid70 »

Recently seen the latest Marvel instalment, Black Widow.
Coincidentally I visited the Helicopter Museum a week before I saw the movie so I can say I've seen the Mi-8, don't know for sure which scenes it was used for though. I am aware that they ended up using four MI-8's for different filming locations/scenes.
I was wondering if anyone knows which aircraft & registration of the Piper used in the escape to Cuba scene at the start of the film? I'm assuming that since they used the helicopter from WSM & the two Soviet jets from Newark that the Piper would possibly have been a UK resident?

Many thanks in advance!

Martin

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Aircraft in the movies...Black Widow

Post by boff180 »

The scene was filmed in the Cardington hangars but other than that I haven’t seen a report on the airframes identity that was used.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

I am able to confirm that the MiG-23 & MiG-27 aircraft that we have on loan were taken off site in September 2019 for filming as part of what was then 'Project Blue Bayou' - our exhibits were selected as we had valid deactivation paperwork in place for their 'safe' handling.

I acted as the liaison for the project and based on feedback from the company contracted to undertake the moves, my understanding is that much of the airfield filming was undertaken at Upper Heyford.

Post filming we were also offered one of the MiLs but this was turned down.

Cannot help with the identity of the Piper.
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
http://newarkairmuseum.org

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Shame that one of the Hungarian Mi-8s wasn't saved, would have looked very nice alongside the two fast-jets. Obviously plenty of other considerations as to why you didn't take it though, of course.

Lots of filming at Upper Heyford, but I also think I saw something about the heathland near Farnborough, and Pinewood Studios, being used?

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

cg_341 wrote:
Mon 26 Jul 2021, 9:02 am
Shame that one of the Hungarian Mi-8s wasn't saved, would have looked very nice alongside the two fast-jets. Obviously plenty of other considerations as to why you didn't take it though, of course.
Numerous reasons spring to mind: the airframe that were offered didn't fit with our Collecting Policy; from the images we saw it looked in poor condition; and when it was offered we were closed due to Covid and we could not contemplate the fee being requested.

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

boff180 wrote:
Mon 26 Jul 2021, 2:36 am
The scene was filmed in the Cardington hangars but other than that I haven’t seen a report on the airframes identity that was used.
Thanks for that, I'd read that somewhere. Very impressive to think that must have been used as a huge green screen background inside that hangar.

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

NAM Updater wrote:
Mon 26 Jul 2021, 8:16 am
I am able to confirm that the MiG-23 & MiG-27 aircraft that we have on loan were taken off site in September 2019 for filming as part of what was then 'Project Blue Bayou' - our exhibits were selected as we had valid deactivation paperwork in place for their 'safe' handling.

I acted as the liaison for the project and based on feedback from the company contracted to undertake the moves, my understanding is that much of the airfield filming was undertaken at Upper Heyford.

Post filming we were also offered one of the MiLs but this was turned down.

Cannot help with the identity of the Piper.
The end results looked impressive, especially to give Upper Heyford some rare Cuban sunshine! Your jets did look exceptional on film.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

What's the old saying, "The camera never lies"?

Looks can be deceptive, lots of work currently underway on the MiG-27 & perhaps soon on the MiG-23 - some of it is featured in here http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/2021_Work_Gallery

When the right volunteers are on site we may have open cockpit viewing opportunities on these aircraft as well - there's certainly lots of Black Widow interest from amongst our younger footfall!

#NAMinTheMovies

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

A friend was involved in the filming of this - albeit I havent seen the movie yet!

In addition to those types used the 'alien spacecraft crash scene' also used various scrapped aircraft parts/hulks including the guts and centre section of a Harrier!

TT

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

NAM Updater wrote:
Mon 26 Jul 2021, 1:07 pm
What's the old saying, "The camera never lies"?

Looks can be deceptive, lots of work currently underway on the MiG-27 & perhaps soon on the MiG-23 - some of it is featured in here http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/2021_Work_Gallery

When the right volunteers are on site we may have open cockpit viewing opportunities on these aircraft as well - there's certainly lots of Black Widow interest from amongst our younger footfall!

#NAMinTheMovies
Same at Weston, they had the movie posters around their Mi-8, I assume you managed to get all the film graphics to put next to them. I have a feeling model kits of the Mi-8 will be popular.