South Korean Black Eagles practising near Boscombe Down this morning

Aviation sightings, roadrunners, exercises and flypasts

Draken

Re: South Korean Black Eagles practising near Boscombe Down this morning

Post by Draken »

They will visit Poland (Dęblin) in last week of July.

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

DSTM, But meant to be going to Southport on Thursday and Friday mornings for a look see, familiarity flight and I guess maybe a practice ?
Don’t know if they are actually there both mornings or Thursday with Friday as a backup.
Don’t know if just a look see flypast, but it’s a long way to go from Boscombe just to have a quick look.
Would they fly back through Wales ?
Just saying….
I don’t know but been told they at Southport around 10am on Thursday/Friday.

Edit - the NOTAM for jet formation displays for Southport has been extended to Thursday and Friday.

TABLE 1 SOUTHPORT - ADD 07 AND 08 JULY 2022.

RESTRICTED AREA (TEMPORARY)FOR DISPLAYS BY JET FORMATION TEAMS.
WI 6NM RADIUS: 533900N 0030114W (SOUTHPORT, LANCASHIRE). AREA

SCHEDULE: 07 08 JUL 0955-1020

So my “information” looks to be in GMT - so 11am at Southport not 10am.

Also looks to me like a display practice one or both days.

I could be wrong.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

ericbee123 wrote:
Mon 04 Jul 2022, 6:37 pm
DSTM, But meant to be going to Southport on Thursday and Friday mornings for a look see, familiarity flight and I guess maybe a practice ?
Don’t know if they are actually there both mornings or Thursday with Friday as a backup.
Don’t know if just a look see flypast, but it’s a long way to go from Boscombe just to have a quick look.
You would think a NOTAM will appear for their transit to Southport, given the number of jets? Going to guess they will base at Blackpool, rather than as you say going backwards and forwards.

I'm in north east Worcestershire, so a transit over us would be great but unlikely, possibly out over Malvern/Ledbury then north?

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

IP1960 wrote:
Mon 04 Jul 2022, 9:33 pm
ericbee123 wrote:
Mon 04 Jul 2022, 6:37 pm
You would think a NOTAM will appear for their transit to Southport, given the number of jets? Going to guess they will base at Blackpool, rather than as you say going backwards and forwards.

I'm in north east Worcestershire, so a transit over us would be great but unlikely, possibly out over Malvern/Ledbury then north?
They are not going into Blackpool.

I would suspect it’s an either Thur or Friday. Been told it’s both though.

There is no NOTAM for their transit to Southport on Saturday for the actual show.

Red Arrows have their NOTAM up for the Sat.

Maybe the Koreans aren’t planning on transiting at low level so don’t need a NOTAM.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Whatever height they transit at, I hope they go in a straight line from Boscombe Down to Southport as it will take them pretty much over my house!
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

3 Black Eagles flew half a dozen passes in a V Formation for 10 minutes or so at Southport at 11:05(ish) this morning.

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

Fantastic Team. Saw them at Waddington 2010+ and they stole the show. Blew the others out of the water.
Canon systems

jules48

Post by jules48 »

They are based at Boscombe Down for the duration of their stay in UK.Its been mentioned many times on forums here.

stealth117

Post by stealth117 »

Does this mean they wont be landing at Fairford next weekend and will transit to display then back to Boscombe?

Thanks

jules48

Post by jules48 »

I would assume so as all their support crew are at Boscombe.They are doing the full display at RIAT though I believe.

stealth117

Post by stealth117 »

Thanks for your reply. Shame they aren't going to be on the ground at Fairford as the take-offs add to the enjoyment but still a great catch to have them here again. Its something i didn't think i would see again so thumbs up from me anyway.

Rob1309

Post by Rob1309 »

I can’t believe that they won’t be based at Fairford and miss out on the crowd contact after coming such a long way.

adam2628

Post by adam2628 »

Not sure how reliable this is, but the comments from the poster on this youtube vid seem to suggest they will relocate to Fairford for the duration of RIAT:

Tel

Post by Tel »

I’ve never seen them before so looking forward to them this weekend at Southport.

Are they as good as the reds?

Rob1309

Post by Rob1309 »

I think they are better.

Tel

Post by Tel »

Rob1309 wrote:
Fri 08 Jul 2022, 5:06 pm
I think they are better.
Sounds promising 👍🏻

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Saw them at Waddington a few years ago and they are far better then the reds but the normal display is around 30 minutes so not sure what they can accomplish in 13 minutes and how far they will be from the crowdline at Southport but it is still an amazing accomplishment to have them there in the first place.Enjoy anyway

Mike

Post by Mike »

I really liked the rejoin they practiced when they returned to Boscombe from Southport this morning. Running in as an 8-ship, they pulled up into a formation loop, hitting the smoke as they reached the apex of the loop. On the down side of the loop they performed a bomb burst, from which they went into a spiral manoeuvre which led, follow-my-leader, into the downwind, perfectly spaced out for landing

Very slick, very spectacular, very innovative. I’m really looking forward to seeing them perform their full display at RIAT, as I missed them the last time they were over here a decade ago.

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Mike wrote:
Fri 08 Jul 2022, 9:24 pm
I really liked the rejoin they practiced when they returned to Boscombe from Southport this morning. Running in as an 8-ship, they pulled up into a formation loop, hitting the smoke as they reached the apex of the loop. On the down side of the loop they performed a bomb burst, from which they went into a spiral manoeuvre which led, follow-my-leader, into the downwind, perfectly spaced out for landing

Very slick, very spectacular, very innovative. I’m really looking forward to seeing them perform their full display at RIAT, as I missed them the last time they were over here a decade ago.
Highly spectacular, I'm sure (hope they do that at RIAT!), but I'm not sure about innovative. I seem to remember seeing the Reds do much the same thing once. Might have been during the RIAT that never happened, in 2008...? :thinking:

Edit:
Found this: http://thisisflight.net/team-directory/red-arrows/
The Reds call it the Spaghetti Break:
Spaghetti break (nine-ship downwards bomb burst into the landing pattern; only performed at airports where no crowd is present)
That comment explains why they did it in 2008!
If the Black Eagles have the same limitation (probably), then no, we won't see it at RIAT....
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Black Eagles currently rehearsing what looks like a full display at Farnborough. I mean, jolly good and all that, but given the stupid restrictions on everyone else, WTF???

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 2:29 pm
Black Eagles currently rehearsing what looks like a full display at Farnborough. I mean, jolly good and all that, but given the stupid restrictions on everyone else, WTF???
Because it is not legally "an air show" and therefore not subject to CAP403?
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

phreakf4 wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 2:43 pm
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 2:29 pm
Because it is not legally "an air show" and therefore not subject to CAP403?
I'd be surprised and disappointed if the organisers (and their insurers, don't forget) thought following other than the legally accepted best practice was good business.... or is it that the RAF authorities are so risk averse that it is they who wont allow RAFAT to display at Farnborough and anyone else could under the regulations?

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Todays validation at farnborough was pathetic due to the restrictions. Flypasts across the airport about 1200ft, any manouvering was to the west of the field, a good 3 miles west of the main show area, it was utterly pointless IMHO.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

farnboroughrob wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 5:02 pm
Todays validation at farnborough was pathetic due to the restrictions. Flypasts across the airport about 1200ft, any manouvering was to the west of the field, a good 3 miles west of the main show area, it was utterly pointless IMHO.
Not sure if that makes me feel better or not.... roll on Saturday!