BBMF Lancaster email

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Binbrook 01

Re: BBMF Lancaster email

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Why can the maintenance not be performed somewhere where it's safe to operate in all directions of a runway? At Coningsby they don't even use a runway - they use a taxiway - if there's even a hint of crosswind. That's got to be an interesting safety case with the MAA!

cg-341

By taxiway, I assume your referring to the Cross Runway at Coningsby. And that is not the only airfield they have used the Cross runway at in the last 15 years or so. Leuchars often used it with the Tornado F.3s.

As for doing its major overhaul somewhere else. ARCo built the new hangar with that in mind from memory. Nobody was in any rush to collect it either It landed at St Athan during a display in the mid 80s on 3. Hell a Shackleton once did a display at Farnborough on 1

Perhaps we should just stick it in a museum and forget about it... Oh wait, when they get Just Jane flying, which by the way will likely have the same potential problems pop up, you can marvel at the two ship potential, as I doubt they (the CWH) are likely going to bring that airframe back here. Which displayed a fair amount of confidence in the airframe crossing the pond.

TTFN

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Binbrook 01 wrote:
Mon 13 Sep 2021, 11:16 am
By taxiway, I assume your referring to the Cross Runway at Coningsby.
It's not a runway and hasn't been for a long time. Here's the latest AIP entry: https://www.aidu.mod.uk/aip/pdf/ad/EGXC ... mbined.pdf

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Anyone know if the Lanc is likely to be ready for DX at the weekend?

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

cg-341

I really don''t care what the RAF AIDU document tells me.

The BBMF and the tower refer to it as the cross runway when they use it, and as its been one of my local airfields for close to 51 years. I have seen it used fairly often....

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

🙄

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I'm amazed that they can use a non-runway with no declared distances, surveyed obstacles, appropriate lighting and with buildings close by.
It isn't even mentioned in the published aerodrome manual. Still, I'm sure they know best...

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Typhoons taxi on it daily... Its hardly under used

Still what would the RAF know... Clearly more than some on here

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Being used as a taxiway and a runway are totally different things. Your inference was that is was being used as a runway which it clearly is not.

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Well next time your at Coningsby sit back and watch in amazement when the BBMF take off on it.

Mike

Post by Mike »

You have to love it when the keyboard warriors tell the BBMF that they’ve been doing it all wrong for decades

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Indeed Mike...

And its not just this forum thats gone down that weary path either..... Facebook and Twitter, and even dear old Fighter Control are full of them...

Be careful out in the sunlight folks ;-)

BK1

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

So, just to be clear, the RAF use a taxiway as a runway?

Strabane!

Post by Strabane! »

All things aviation involve a degree of risk. The BBMF have very experienced aviators to mitigate the risks. The system works.

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Seeing as there are some on here who are none locals, and clearly just do not get it.

The cross runway I am referring to, regardless of weather or not the RAF AIDU mention it as active or not is the short runway which starts from the bottom right just above 3 Squadrons HAS site... It goes towards the fence on the Dogdyke Road just below the BBMF hangar further up.

See on google maps here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.09078 ... a=!3m1!1e3

When in other daily use, its known as the lazy runway, where 12 29 and 41 Sqn Typhoons cut short to return to the big lump of concrete main ramp (which doesn't show the new shelters on the right now there)

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

This discussion has gone off at a tangent and as much as the various merits of Coningsby's runway and taxiway configurations may well be a subject of interest for some, all I care about is if the Lanc will make the Duxford show or not. If anyone is ITK it would be appreciated info. Cheers.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Mike wrote:
Mon 13 Sep 2021, 4:27 pm
You have to love it when the keyboard warriors tell the BBMF that they’ve been doing it all wrong for decades
Keyboard warrior eh? A large part of my working life has involved with flying and the associated risks. not simply watching over a fence. I am frankly astonished and somewhat surprised that there is a "runway", used by an RAF operated aircraft that is not mentioned in the RAF's own aerodrome manual. Their risk assessments and safety management system must make for interesting reading. As I know one of the BBMF pilots I'll have to ask him how often it's used.
Strabane! wrote:
Mon 13 Sep 2021, 5:19 pm
All things aviation involve a degree of risk. The BBMF have very experienced aviators to mitigate the risks. The system works.
So far. The safety system will have many more mitigations than simply experienced crews.

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Perhaps if you had pointed that out to start with we need not have resorted to Google maps ?

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

Is this a really dumb question?

Is this runway/taxiway ever used for landings or just takeoffs ?

Do you need to declare a runway characteristics and such if it’s only ever used for takeoffs from based aircraft who know what it’s limitations are ?

Couldn’t a spitfire take off from a stretch of firm grass if it knew it could do it. Landing visitors would be a different “kettle of fish” or can you only take off from a declared runway ?
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

I have seen them do both on the cross runway. I think its mostly for when the wind is on limits for 07/25.

I think the Chippies have a grass section along the side of the taxiway down to the New York end. But assume the Baby Spitfire could if needed use it?

This is based on what I have seen

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

The BBMF will be like every other RAF flying unit and will have an operations manual which will have all the information about how to carry out safe operations. If the appropriate personnel have carried out the risk assessments and if it allows take-offs and landings from a taxiway and the duty holder has accepted the risks then they could operate from wherever the ops manual allows them. The fact that there is no mention of a cross runway in the published aerodrome manual is what makes this very odd. It isn't just runways and their suitability, there are buildings at the end, roads, trees etc. Unless you make the whole area sterile, it must be a nightmare to organize.
Binbrook 01 wrote:
Mon 13 Sep 2021, 6:45 pm
Perhaps if you had pointed that out to start with we need not have resorted to Google maps ?
Which bit?

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Your working in the the flying industry. And I assume whoever you know on BBMF will confirm why they use the cross

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

Mike wrote:
Binbrook 01's sock puppet account writes....

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

I know not of whom the &&&& Mike is?

But if your reduced to basic insults or name calling go find how many books you have written or worked on

How many is it? I doubt its any

A fair number of us here have done a few between us ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Air_Power_Journal

Mike

Post by Mike »

Alanko wrote:
Sun 19 Sep 2021, 7:03 pm
Mike wrote:
Binbrook 01's sock puppet account writes....
I’ve no idea who you are and i’ve no idea who Binbrook 01 is. I can assure you that I have no connection with either of them

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Binbrook 01 wrote:
Sun 19 Sep 2021, 7:14 pm
I know not of whom the &&&& Mike is?

But if your reduced to basic insults or name calling go find how many books you have written or worked on

How many is it? I doubt its any

A fair number of us here have done a few between us ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Air_Power_Journal
Great publication and I can't believe it's over 20 years since its sad demise. Wings of Fame was good too.