Race Day 2022

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Ryan.

Race Day 2022

Post by Ryan. »

Personally, not the most inspiring line up at the moment if I'm completely honest. Hopefully a few more items will be added.

Visiting Aircraft:

Supermarine Spitfire PR.XI ‘NHS Spitfire’
LeVier Cosmic Wind
Cassutt Special
Rollason Beta
Nieuport 17
Percival Mew Gull
Chilton DW1A
Chilton DW1A
Chilton DW1A
Extra 330

The Shuttleworth Collection/ Based Aircraft

Comper Swift
de Havilland DH.51
Parnall Elf
Southern Martlet
Blackburn B2
de Havilland Chipmunk
Miles Magister
Desoutter I
Royal Aircraft Factory SE5a
Bristol Scout
Avro 504K
Sopwith Pup
Percival Mew Gull
Miles Hawk Speed Six
de Havilland Comet
Blackburn Monoplane
Supermarine Spitfire Vc
Hawker Sea Hurricane
Ryan STM

https://www.shuttleworth.org/raceday-line-up/

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Re: Race Day 2022

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Ryan. wrote:
Mon 12 Sep 2022, 7:42 am
Personally, not the most inspiring line up at the moment if I'm completely honest. Hopefully a few more items will be added.
Mystery Ship, now based at Old Warden, has been added since you made this thread which is a good addition.

Though personally I would really like to see something more, maybe a P-51, but that's highly unlikely with Teichman appearing at Shuttleworth at their September airshow.

melcragg

Post by melcragg »

I am very pleased to see the Mystery ship has been added. A very nice looking thing.

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

I was rather hoping that lovely Ryan STM would have put in an appearance (missed it at the Season Opener show). Heyho 😐

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Mark Jefferies has announced on his FB that he will be displaying his YAK-11 at the opening of the show and finishing the show with his Extra 330 doing the pyro pylon run.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Yak 11 sounds great, hoping the wind plays ball for that though!

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Bit sneaky of them starting the flying display later than the others

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Roughcutter wrote:
Sun 25 Sep 2022, 8:55 am
I was rather hoping that lovely Ryan STM would have put in an appearance (missed it at the Season Opener show). Heyho 😐
Pleased to see that the STM has now been added to the itinerary here, however there's no sign of it on the official site?

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Roughcutter wrote:
Thu 29 Sep 2022, 1:53 pm
Roughcutter wrote:
Sun 25 Sep 2022, 8:55 am
Pleased to see that the STM has now been added to the itinerary here, however there's no sign of it on the official site?
If you're talking about the list I posted originally, it was just a copy and paste job from the website when the list first released. A couple of things have been added and taken away since then.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

From the facebook page:

Race Day Air Show Update!
Due to circumstances out of our control, the Travel Air Type R ‘Mystery Ship’ will now be static only on Sunday. But all is not lost – as we can now reveal that the 1928 Travel Air D4000 will be taking its place in our line-up for its Shuttleworth debut!
The Travel Air 4000 was an open-cockpit executive transport aircraft and was often used for the various air races and aerobatic competitions of the 1920’s and 1930’s.
Built in 1928, this particular aircraft is a D4000 and was designated a Speedwing due to the wings being shorter and thinner which improved speed. The aircraft was operated as a barnstormer in the hands of the famous Mike Murphy, worked as a skywriter, competed in the US National Air Races in Cleveland, won a US National Aerobatics Championship and for a short time was used for civilian pilot training at Perdue University.
Tickets are still available for our season finale show 👉 www.shuttleworth.org/raceday
All aircraft are subject to serviceability and weather conditions on the day.
Images by Nigel Hitchman

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

BBC and Met Office in disagreement on the weather for the show...I'll go with Met Office!

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Someone’s parked some horseys where I would have liked to have parked my car 😂

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Pros:
Got in without queuing (and had a nice tour around the parkland 😊)
Weather better than expected, some nice light later in the day
Takeoffs from ‘other end’ made it different
John Romaine in the PR Spitfire 👏

Cons:
Normal access to main paddock closed due to car sprint route, despite arriving well before start time (you could still get there by walking around the back of the college and garden)
Why the horses? I was expecting to see them galloping down the runway with the Railton…

Not my favourite theme (the cars don’t do much for me) but a decent day to end the season.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

The show itself was very good I thought, with great variety and good light throughout for the photographers. However it wasn't all positive. Why dedicate a whole piece of prime car park to a horse display consisting of 2 yes 2 men on horseback recreating WW1. Seemed OTT. And the commentator for said display was very annoying.

My dad is not as mobile as he used to be but could we park in the usual area? No, we had to park up past the wallabies and alpacas! Just to accommodate 2 horses and other than that a huge empty space for no real reason.

Oh and the catering.... Laughable.
I fancied a burger but £8:50 plus a 45 min wait put me off rather. You need more catering Shuttleworth. The cafe itself seems to also have a very limited and overpriced offer. Sausage roll not my idea of good food! Can of coke £3 😡

I do like Old Warden but this was my only visit in 2022 for cost reasons.
Can't say I will hurry back in 2023.
The flying is always great but the venue needs to invest more to keep people happy I think.

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

UKTopgun wrote:
Mon 03 Oct 2022, 2:14 pm
My dad is not as mobile as he used to be but could we park in the usual area? No, we had to park up past the wallabies and alpacas! Just to accommodate 2 horses and other than that a huge empty space for no real reason.

The flying is always great but the venue needs to invest more to keep people happy I think.
Completely agree!

melcragg

Post by melcragg »

There seemed to be a single chef making bacon butties and burgers. They should admit defeat and allow more 3rd party caterers on site. Little Gransden was fantastic with lots of choice.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Unfortunately, it's not a recent thing having to wait a long time. I waited 50 mins for a bacon butty at Fly Navy 2017. I've always taken my own food since.
As for the prices, that's the going rate at an event these days. (Probably on the cheaper side actually)