Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby FlankerPhoto on Mon 12 Aug 2019, 3:29 pm

Looking at the weather.. I don't think much will.
FlankerPhoto

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby UKAirshowTour on Mon 12 Aug 2019, 5:15 pm

Not going to make the 6 hour round trip to get soaked and stand in strong winds
UKAirshowTour

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby tankbuster81 on Tue 13 Aug 2019, 7:57 am

I've brought a ticket for Saturday, and as others have said, sadly, the weather looks dire. :sad:
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!
User avatar
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby duxfordhawk on Tue 13 Aug 2019, 9:03 pm

Also booked for Saturday and keeping an eye on the weather.
Let's hope it will be OK.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/
duxfordhawk

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby timuss on Tue 13 Aug 2019, 9:20 pm

Oh lovely Saturday looks great thunderstorms :sad:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby tankbuster81 on Wed 14 Aug 2019, 10:57 am

timuss wrote:Oh lovely Saturday looks great thunderstorms :sad:

It's improving (slightly) as week moves on
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!
User avatar
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby Stagger2 on Wed 14 Aug 2019, 10:33 pm

Yep. Monday is a blue sky day perfect for, Oh well! :roll:
Stagger2

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby FlankerPhoto on Sat 17 Aug 2019, 4:02 pm

Any idea which Buchon it is?
FlankerPhoto

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Sat 17 Aug 2019, 4:18 pm

FlankerPhoto wrote:Any idea which Buchon it is?


From a photo I've seen it's White 9.
User avatar
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby ted633 on Sat 17 Aug 2019, 7:55 pm

Well, for all the worries about the weather during the week, I think we did rather well today! I bit breezy, but also plenty of sunshine. Didn't bother packing suncream due to the forecast :facepalm:
As for the show itself, I thought the Ultimate Fighters were great and, as usual, so was the Spitfire finale. Didn't think the Breitling Jet Team were as good as at Fairford, but that's probably because they were forced to do their flat display. Nice to see the Tiger 9 team again, though with the moderate breeze, they were a bit sluggish when flying into the wind!

Getting in was very easy (arrived 2 hours after gates opened, no car in sight front or behind on the drive in!) and getting out only took about 15 minutes, which is perfectly reasonable (took me 2 hours a few years back).

Only (small) issue of the day was the overall pace of the show due to aircraft departing & recovering from Eastbourne. I can appreciate that it is good to see aircraft twice and that it helps to share acts with Eastbourne, but it did get a bit tedious waiting for aircraft to return, run & break, land and clear the runway. But, I suppose there isn't really an alternative.
2019 - Season Premier, OW May Evening, Flying Festival, Dunsfold, Military Pageant, Yeovilton, RIAT, BHFoF
User avatar
ted633

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby timuss on Sat 17 Aug 2019, 7:57 pm

Well it turned out to be a lovely day in the end bit blowy at least it stayed dry. No 109e on the flightline or even out side the BHHA which was a shame, Ultimate Fighters were great just as good as Duxford nice Typhoon display as well.

Dan Griffith's solo in the Kent Spit was lovely as well. My only criticism i found it a bit slow with so many display teams the Blades, wingwalkers the extra duo the Falcons and the Aerostars not my cup of tea but is a family show i can understand why there booked.

All in all a good day.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby phreakf4 on Sat 17 Aug 2019, 10:27 pm

I have to agree with the previous posters concerning the generally disjointed nature of the flying display. I have no issues with any of the display items (I just like to see aeroplanes -any aeroplanes - fly.

I did notice and would query two points. My friends and I were well towards the right-hand end of the crowd line and yet "display centre" seemed (at least for a majority of the display items) to be nowhere near crowd centre and was well to the right of us. My friends and I observed that what we assumed to be a "VIP" enclosure well to the right of the end of the public crowd line appeared to be treated as "display centre. What sort of view those much further to the left of us had can only be surmised.

The other issue was that, listening to the display frequency it became obvious that several displays received requests from the tower to shorten their display (particularly noticeable for but not limited to the BBMF). Whether this was due to delays caused by part of the Western taxiway being blocked and displays therefore having to backtrack the runway, thereby losing time or because the organisers were especially keen to end the display "on time" therefore allowing the airport to resume "business as usual" as soon as possible I can not say but it was noticeable that private aircraft were requesting start and taxi clearance even before the Spitfire finale had finished.
nothing is confirmed at a show until it's u/c hits the tarmac or it's running in for it's display.....
User avatar
phreakf4

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby ted633 on Sat 17 Aug 2019, 11:54 pm

phreakf4 wrote:I did notice and would query two points. My friends and I were well towards the right-hand end of the crowd line

If my memory hasn't completely failed me, display 'centre' has always been off to the right for some reason

phreakf4 wrote:The other issue was that, listening to the display frequency it became obvious that several displays received requests from the tower to shorten their display (particularly noticeable for but not limited to the BBMF).


I think you are completely correct with the wish to run to time. Probably a mix of having to keep the Eastbourne show on track as well as there own and getting the airport re-opened on time. We've got to remember it is a commercial airport and money needs to be made. I just wonder how long it will be until it won't be feasible to close the airport for the afternoon anymore :sad:
2019 - Season Premier, OW May Evening, Flying Festival, Dunsfold, Military Pageant, Yeovilton, RIAT, BHFoF
User avatar
ted633

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby lynothehammer on Sun 18 Aug 2019, 8:05 am

phreakf4 wrote:I have to agree with the previous posters concerning the generally disjointed nature of the flying display. I have no issues with any of the display items (I just like to see aeroplanes -any aeroplanes - fly.

I did notice and would query two points. My friends and I were well towards the right-hand end of the crowd line and yet "display centre" seemed (at least for a majority of the display items) to be nowhere near crowd centre and was well to the right of us. My friends and I observed that what we assumed to be a "VIP" enclosure well to the right of the end of the public crowd line appeared to be treated as "display centre. What sort of view those much further to the left of us had can only be surmised.

The other issue was that, listening to the display frequency it became obvious that several displays received requests from the tower to shorten their display (particularly noticeable for but not limited to the BBMF). Whether this was due to delays caused by part of the Western taxiway being blocked and displays therefore having to backtrack the runway, thereby losing time or because the organisers were especially keen to end the display "on time" therefore allowing the airport to resume "business as usual" as soon as possible I can not say but it was noticeable that private aircraft were requesting start and taxi clearance even before the Spitfire finale had finished.


Pretty sure the BBMF was cut short due to Ultimate Fighters only having 10 minutes of fuel once the BBMF had started their display.
User avatar
lynothehammer

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby Airshowhammer on Sun 18 Aug 2019, 7:50 pm

Typhoon displaying for the international space station it seemed.
Airshowhammer

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby phreakf4 on Sun 18 Aug 2019, 8:15 pm

Airshowhammer wrote:Typhoon displaying for the international space station it seemed.


I would suggest that a reading of CAP403, especially the section concerning aircraft speed and display line distances, might provide some insight and clarity.

The aircraft either displayed further away than all the other (slower flying) display items, or it would not have been permitted to display at all. The fact that this is an inconvenience for some photographers does not influence the regulations.

The (non-enthusiast) friends who accompanied me to the show both looked forward to and greatly enjoyed the Typhoon display and it should be pointed out that neither of them were using cameras or binoculars.
nothing is confirmed at a show until it's u/c hits the tarmac or it's running in for it's display.....
User avatar
phreakf4

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby Airshowhammer on Sun 18 Aug 2019, 8:55 pm

phreakf4 wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Typhoon displaying for the international space station it seemed.


I would suggest that a reading of CAP403, especially the section concerning aircraft speed and display line distances, might provide some insight and clarity.

The aircraft either displayed further away than all the other (slower flying) display items, or it would not have been permitted to display at all. The fact that this is an inconvenience for some photographers does not influence the regulations.

The (non-enthusiast) friends who accompanied me to the show both looked forward to and greatly enjoyed the Typhoon display and it should be pointed out that neither of them were using cameras or binoculars.


Exact problem with this forum at the moment. So quick to jump the gun. I wasn't using a camera or binoculars either? I'm basing it on displays i've seen from the Typhoon at Biggin in the past. This years was noticeably higher.
Airshowhammer

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby Tomahawk on Sun 18 Aug 2019, 9:13 pm

Airshowhammer wrote:Exact problem with this forum at the moment. So quick to jump the gun. I wasn't using a camera or binoculars either? I'm basing it on displays i've seen from the Typhoon at Biggin in the past. This years was noticeably higher.


So quick to jump the gun? Try re-reading what you actually wrote first rather than the argument you make above.
Tomahawk

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby ted633 on Sun 18 Aug 2019, 9:34 pm

Maybe it was different today, but I've just checked my shots from yesterday and I've got it filling the frame (well, 3/4 anyway) at 300mm
2019 - Season Premier, OW May Evening, Flying Festival, Dunsfold, Military Pageant, Yeovilton, RIAT, BHFoF
User avatar
ted633

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby Airshowhammer on Mon 19 Aug 2019, 5:02 am

Tomahawk wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Exact problem with this forum at the moment. So quick to jump the gun. I wasn't using a camera or binoculars either? I'm basing it on displays i've seen from the Typhoon at Biggin in the past. This years was noticeably higher.


So quick to jump the gun? Try re-reading what you actually wrote first rather than the argument you make above.


Yeah, I know what I posted. That's how I felt watching it from the showground, not once did I mention anything about cameras or binoculars.

I do appreciate the info about the regulations though, which I certainly wasn't aware of. So learn something new everyday.
Airshowhammer

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby Costar1198 on Mon 19 Aug 2019, 9:12 am

I went on Saturday and it was quite an enjoyable day out, upon entry I ran into a bit of a problem with e-tickets (for some reason they didn't have a scanner at the programme tent), but that was alright. After I decided to have a look round the showground, didn't take all that long, and seemed a bit all over the place so there was probably a few things I missed, ah well.

Sat down near the front where the models were taking off, that area was never really majorly busy, so perfect, and I wasn't inundated with children's screams every time a plane went past as I was last year, which was nice.

Upon the start of the display the model flying was a nice touch, something I quite missed, the aircraft were well flown plus an excellent recovery of the L-39 which appeared to have an engine-out on its final climb, I did wonder however, they did look like they went over the VIP enclosure on finals from where I was sitting. After was a nice transition from the model world to the full size world with the Extra duo which never fails to impress, the CAP duo, also of the global stars, were very impressive aswell. BJT as always amazing, but I will admit the full display I saw at RIAT was certainly a better one, however I won't moan too much as I understand the airspace restrictions surrounding Biggin and the like. The Blades entered from what felt like miles away, can't imagine what it had been like for the people on the Southern end, but the centre line could, in my opinion, do with a change for next year, I understand they probably wanted to focus it on the VIP enclosure but it certainly wasn't un-noticed when it was said they'll enter from crowd rear and all of a sudden they go from the northern-most end of the showground... BBMF and Typhoon felt quite short, what with the Hurricane only doing a couple of passes and the Typhoon leaving a rather "is that it" feeling inside me. Typhoon also felt quite high up compared to usual, as did the RJF for that matter. Ultimate Fighters however were an amazing display, never seen anything like it but I'm glad I have now, also to be noted was the Spitfire salute at the end, as always one of the greatest examples of Spitfire flying that I have ever witnessed.

Overall a great show, it could just do with improvements in certain areas, like crowd centre, however I still left mostly satisfied with what I witnessed, so I'll call it a success for this year, also sorry if I rambled a bit too much :grin:
User avatar
Costar1198

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby ted633 on Mon 19 Aug 2019, 4:53 pm

R.E. Crowd centre - seeing as all the crowd are at the southern end of the runway (unlike other shows where the crowd are along the full length), could it possibly be a simple fact that if they moved the centre line further south and over the main crowd, it would take displays outside the airfield boundary and over the (fairly busy) A233? I think its just a coincidence that centre is over the VIP enclosure, as that part of the airfield is more self contained and 'out of the way' of us peasants!
2019 - Season Premier, OW May Evening, Flying Festival, Dunsfold, Military Pageant, Yeovilton, RIAT, BHFoF
User avatar
ted633

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby phantom_phixer on Mon 19 Aug 2019, 5:27 pm

I visited the show on Saturday and I must say I really enjoyed it.

For me it was a shame the Moths didn't operate out of the airfield. Same goes for the BBMF. I would have loved to see them land and/or take-off from there.

Lastly, not a complaint rather something that I would like to point out to the show planners (if anyone is reading), I had the feeling the demos had too many undersides and only a couple topsides. I wasn't expecting the contra-rotating carousels a la Flying legends but the P-47/P-51/Buchon combo I think only flashed their top-sides maybe once during the demo? I don't have exact figures or statistics, it was the general feeling I had. (I was abeam RWY03 piano keys and felt a bit left out at times). The BBMF and the closing solo Spitfire had taken this into account though.

All in all, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Well done to everyone involved and especially the volunteers. :up:
Kostas
my pictures on Airfighters
User avatar
phantom_phixer

Re: Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 17th and 18th August

Postby frank on Mon 19 Aug 2019, 8:38 pm

ted633 wrote:R.E. Crowd centre - seeing as all the crowd are at the southern end of the runway (unlike other shows where the crowd are along the full length), could it possibly be a simple fact that if they moved the centre line further south and over the main crowd, it would take displays outside the airfield boundary and over the (fairly busy) A233? I think its just a coincidence that centre is over the VIP enclosure, as that part of the airfield is more self contained and 'out of the way' of us peasants!


They could move the crowd rather than the display centre - how difficult would that be. Just saying :whistle:
frank

Previous

Return to Other UK Airshows and Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests