Marshall Group Centenary Celebrations

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Pastel

Re: Marshall Group Centenary Celebrations

Post by Pastel »

I know, but I wouldn't be suprised if that got filled. With the event starting at 12.00 and the display at 14.55, those turning up to watch the display from outside may not find a space. There is an overflow car park but that may only be open to ticket holders. It seems like they're a tad worried about the parking (urging people to "avoid coming by car if they live locally"). I was just giving a suggestion for those without tickets if they have trouble parking.

Kokpit

Post by Kokpit »

Ah, OK, see you there then :)

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Just been washing my tea dishes in my kitchen here in St Ives, watching the Red Arrows doing aerobatics, with white smoke, off to the east no where near Cambridge on the flight path the tankers use into Mildenhall. :biggrin:

Brian

Edit:

Had another look out and they were back using coloured smoke. Taken from my front door, Cambridge is 13 miles away and to the right of this photo.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

neilfgr2

Post by neilfgr2 »

What a total nightmare... complete cock up.. as i work for Marshalls and had three tickets thought it would be well planned.. the place was heaving, only ten food stalls inside, not enough toilets, dont know why they closed the carpark by the park and ride when there was still loads of spaces. By three pm me and my two mates had had enough and buggered off.. it would have been better to park up outside like all the other people did.. :mad:

Cheers

Neil

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Well,,, what can i say,,, it was brilliant :clap: :yahoo: :topbombing: The displays were fantastic. I watched from the fence, though as i was a lady came up to me and gave me and my Dad two passes to get into the airfield. So we went in and it was one of the best displays i have ever seen. The statics were good aswell ranging from PC 12'S to C 130'S. Enjoyed it so much. Left when the Reds started to display. I must have been the luckiest man in the world when given those passes. Well done Marshalls, have you ever thought of putting on a public air show, 2010 :whistle: :vulcan:

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

red 6

Post by red 6 »

Didn't you go then Brian.

Pastel

Post by Pastel »

neilfgr2 wrote:What a total nightmare... complete "Two egg cups and a kidney dish!" up.. as i work for Marshalls and had three tickets thought it would be well planned.. the place was heaving, only ten food stalls inside, not enough toilets, dont know why they closed the carpark by the park and ride when there was still loads of spaces. By three pm me and my two mates had had enough and buggered off.. it would have been better to park up outside like all the other people did.. :mad:

Cheers

Neil

The food situtation was ridiculous, seems like they totally underestimated how many stalls they'd need, it was packed in there. We left at 17:00, with all our food vouchers unused, got some food from the Shell garage and watched the rest from Newmarket road. So glad to be able to walk home, it looked like it was going to be a nightmare getting away.

Can't really complain though as it was free, the show was great and I enjoyed looking round the site, sooooo many Hercs :grin:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

red 6 wrote:Didn't you go then Brian.

Nope, I think the polite term is upset stomach during the night, so didn't want to venture far from the errr 'reading room' :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Dream Police

Post by Dream Police »

neilfgr2 wrote:What a total nightmare... complete "Two egg cups and a kidney dish!" up.. as i work for Marshalls and had three tickets thought it would be well planned.. the place was heaving, only ten food stalls inside, not enough toilets, dont know why they closed the carpark by the park and ride when there was still loads of spaces. By three pm me and my two mates had had enough and buggered off.. it would have been better to park up outside like all the other people did.. :mad:

Cheers

Neil

Me and my Dad got there at 12 and we got our food quite early. By mid afternoon the food queues were huuuuuuuge and people must have been there for hours. Didnt see any problems with the toilets. I went a couple of times and didnt have to queue either time and they were very clean too.
Big thumbs up to Marshalls for a great day. Good line up for the display and well done for arranging sunshine too :smile:
Are we really the Dream Police?

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

I have just got home with my ears ringing! Fantastic display which I watched from the fence in Newmarket Road a few feet from the approach lights. The verge was parked three deep for as far as you could see. You felt as it you could reach up and touch everything that took off. The Reds arrival and break was amazing. The Vulcan set off dozens of car alarms.......

However, I suspect I will wake up in a cold sweat during the night thinking about how this ever came about. If something had gone wrong (heaven forbid) the mind boggles. Somehow one of the best displays in the Country was so secret there were no parking restriction in force yet thousands upon thousands seemed to know......

The sheer joy on the faces of the grandparents through to the tiny tots was great to see. I can still taste the coloured smoke.

It was wonderful but how did it ever happen like this?

Chris

Pastel

Post by Pastel »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:Somehow one of the best displays in the Country was so secret there were no parking restriction in force yet thousands upon thousands seemed to know......

I've never seen cars parked up on Newmarket road like that before, and all down Airport way too! The numbers that turned up must've caught the police completely by suprise. I bet next time those little yellow police cones will be out.

loadcontrol

Post by loadcontrol »

Thanks to all at Marshalls for a cracking afternoon. The Reds were as brilliant as ever - particularly the formation turning around on the runway following the streamed landing. The Vulcan was excellent to see, loved the Venom - I'd forgotten what a pretty little thing she is. All those beautiful Moths and Chippies together in the same place too. I was lucky enough to get tickets for the airfield, with the warm Autumn sun on the back what more could you ask for. Thanks again, obviously a lot of hard work went into the event and judging by the faces it was very much appreciated by those that attended - even those at the very back of the queues for a hot dog or ice cream!

Dragster

Post by Dragster »

though it was an excellent day although the food situtation was ridiculous. Displays were great (apart from the ones i missed due to being in queues... BBMF :mad:)
Best bit was being down the end when the Lanc parked up and the 'blown by the bone' moment when the reds parked. Never have i been so close to a hawk and when they swung round with the exhaust no more that 10(??) feet from the crowd...., although i could see what was about to happen i'm guessing some of the classic car owners may not have been too chuffed. Eventually the barrier was moved and the jets pushed forward. Did anyone above on the slip road by the hangar get any photos??

NeilH68

Post by NeilH68 »

Was outside by the fence on Airport Way, wow...what a fantastic display, some very nice display acts and formations, many highlights (Vulcan, Reds etc...). I couldn`t believe the crowds on the outside, I`ve never seen anything like it, cars parked everywhere! Hats off to the organisers on a great afternoon, come on, make it happen again next year!

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

I too watched from outside. My brother and I drove up from Goodwood (well, Worthing, where the hotel was) on Sunday morning having done the Revival on Saturday. We popped into North Weald (many of the based classic jets were out in the open as there was a VW meet going on -lovely to see them in the sun!) and Duxford (where we saw the Spitfire TIX depart) for lunch before heading over to Cambridge airport.

Managed to park on the verge opposite the hangar complex, near one of the crash gates and between some clumps of trees, meaning we had an unrestricted view (barring the fence, of course). There were a lot of people all along the road, many of whom had double parked. We set up chairs and enjoyed one of the finest line-ups of the season. My thoughts...

- Quite a slow start with the local flying club putting up a nice formation of Cessnas and an Extra for a few formation circuits, followed by a Tiger Moth solo which was rather distant from where we were, but was very well flown in a spritely routine nonetheless. The early part of the display continued with the 'Tiger Nine' team, who brought back fond memories of the 'Diamond Nine' Tiger Moth team who graced the circuit for a decade or so. From memory, there were also displays from Mark Miller's Dragon Rapide and a Puss Moth (I believe - or Leopard Moth. One of the two!) and the Miles Falcon/Hawk Trainer/Magister trio from Old Warden, who flew a lovely formation display and tailchase.

- Lovely to see the Shuttleworth Collection represented so well, with George Ellis in the Gladiator and Dodge Bailey in the Lysander, followed by the OW-based Hawker Demon, flown as ever by Stu Goldspink. They all looked and sounded wonderful in the clear blue skies.

- The classic jet front was superbly represented by the Hunter T7/8 G-VETA, Venom FB11, Vampire T11 and Meteor NF11, not to mention the Vulcan. Much has been said of the Vulcan's display at Cambridge in the '558 thread, so I'll keep it short and say that it was a superb display, full of power, wingovers and grace from over the far side. I was disappointed in the Meteor display, which consisted of only a couple of passes, but having it race overhead was still a thrill. The Venom, which appeared to be flown by Dan Griffith, more than made up for it, flying one of the best classic jet displays I've seen all year. The Vampire was also top-shelf. The Hunter was full of 'blue note' passes and was the highlight of the day, in my eyes.

- Keith Dennison flew Peter Vacher's gorgeous Hurricane I and Rod Dean displayed the Duxford-based Dutch Spitfire TIX. Both were fine displays, as ever. Air Atlantique's Dakota put on the first DC3 solo I've seen this year; whilst a little on the short side, it was an enjoyable routine nonetheless. The Lancaster and B17 looked and sounded just wonderful from our vantage point.

- The modern day RAF were represented by a flypast of three Tutors and a solo run through by a C130J. A little disappointing that more RAF assets weren't in attendance, but nonetheless, they were welcome additions.

- There was a 30+ minute gap whilst around 35 vintage aircraft, most of which were Tiger Moths and Austers, departed. It was like the lighter equivalent of the Flying Legends balbo scramble...

- The Red Arrows closed the show. The fourth time I've seen them this year and I'd consider it their best routine of 2009. Just a great way to close the show at sunset.

In all, a great day of free entertainment. The line-up put some large "official" airshows to shame and with a bit of tightening up on the timings, it could easily pass as a major show, somewhere between Duxford and Biggin Hill size. It says quite a bit that the only chance I had this year to see the Puss Moth, Fox Moth, C130J, Meteor, Venom, Hunter T7 and Dakota was at a private airshow, from outside!

NickTheHorse

Post by NickTheHorse »

EMarsh wrote:The Hunter was full of 'blue note' passes and was the highlight of the day, in my eyes.
!

I haven't been a regular on the airshow scene since 1992 (coincidence perhaps?) so was delighted to see and hear a wonderful display from the Hunter. The 'blue notes' are such a lovely noise, only beaten by a certain howl from '558.
The artist formerly known as 'CornishRebel'

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

EMarsh wrote:I too watched from outside. My brother and I drove up from Goodwood (well, Worthing, where the hotel was) on Sunday morning having done the Revival on Saturday. We popped into North Weald (many of the based classic jets were out in the open as there was a VW meet going on -lovely to see them in the sun!) and Duxford (where we saw the Spitfire TIX depart) for lunch before heading over to Cambridge airport.

Managed to park on the verge opposite the hangar complex, near one of the crash gates and between some clumps of trees, meaning we had an unrestricted view (barring the fence, of course). There were a lot of people all along the road, many of whom had double parked. We set up chairs and enjoyed one of the finest line-ups of the season. My thoughts...

- Quite a slow start with the local flying club putting up a nice formation of Cessnas and an Extra for a few formation circuits, followed by a Tiger Moth solo which was rather distant from where we were, but was very well flown in a spritely routine nonetheless. The early part of the display continued with the 'Tiger Nine' team, who brought back fond memories of the 'Diamond Nine' Tiger Moth team who graced the circuit for a decade or so. From memory, there were also displays from Mark Miller's Dragon Rapide and a Puss Moth (I believe - or Leopard Moth. One of the two!) and the Miles Falcon/Hawk Trainer/Magister trio from Old Warden, who flew a lovely formation display and tailchase.

- Lovely to see the Shuttleworth Collection represented so well, with George Ellis in the Gladiator and Dodge Bailey in the Lysander, followed by the OW-based Hawker Demon, flown as ever by Stu Goldspink. They all looked and sounded wonderful in the clear blue skies.

- The classic jet front was superbly represented by the Hunter T7/8 G-VETA, Venom FB11, Vampire T11 and Meteor NF11, not to mention the Vulcan. Much has been said of the Vulcan's display at Cambridge in the '558 thread, so I'll keep it short and say that it was a superb display, full of power, wingovers and grace from over the far side. I was disappointed in the Meteor display, which consisted of only a couple of passes, but having it race overhead was still a thrill. The Venom, which appeared to be flown by Dan Griffith, more than made up for it, flying one of the best classic jet displays I've seen all year. The Vampire was also top-shelf. The Hunter was full of 'blue note' passes and was the highlight of the day, in my eyes.

- Keith Dennison flew Peter Vacher's gorgeous Hurricane I and Rod Dean displayed the Duxford-based Dutch Spitfire TIX. Both were fine displays, as ever. Air Atlantique's Dakota put on the first DC3 solo I've seen this year; whilst a little on the short side, it was an enjoyable routine nonetheless. The Lancaster and B17 looked and sounded just wonderful from our vantage point.

- The modern day RAF were represented by a flypast of three Tutors and a solo run through by a C130J. A little disappointing that more RAF assets weren't in attendance, but nonetheless, they were welcome additions.

- There was a 30+ minute gap whilst around 35 vintage aircraft, most of which were Tiger Moths and Austers, departed. It was like the lighter equivalent of the Flying Legends balbo scramble...

- The Red Arrows closed the show. The fourth time I've seen them this year and I'd consider it their best routine of 2009. Just a great way to close the show at sunset.

In all, a great day of free entertainment. The line-up put some large "official" airshows to shame and with a bit of tightening up on the timings, it could easily pass as a major show, somewhere between Duxford and Biggin Hill size. It says quite a bit that the only chance I had this year to see the Puss Moth, Fox Moth, C130J, Meteor, Venom, Hunter T7 and Dakota was at a private airshow, from outside!

I couldn't of put it better myself. Oh and it was a Puss Moth. I was so lucky that good old lady offered me tickets to get in, i thank her very much :clap: :biggrin:

James

Grimmaman

Post by Grimmaman »

Free food, free drinks, don't care how long the queues were!!
What a fantastic day and can't wait to see the 6 rolls of film I took developed.
I am new to this site so would appreciate some info on how I can post pics guys.

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyrfi9lGdoo[url][/url]

Vulcan, only short, this was when i was outside the Airport

James

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPFlc-qQS0M[url][/url]

Some more footage :biggrin:

James