Streamers broadcasting Live Air Traffic Control

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Reds Rolling

Streamers broadcasting Live Air Traffic Control

Post by Reds Rolling »

A new video popped up in my Youtube recommended list earlier today from an aviation streamer called Speedbird TV

Thought I'd have a quick five minute look, and while it was nothing special, I noticed they were openly broadcasting Heathrow ATC over the stream. The stream by this point wasn't live, but it would have been yesterday, and in the comments there were a couple of people having a bit of an argument with the streamer saying that they were illegal to broadcast the ATC live.

The streamer (Speedbird TV) was then saying that the ATC was for 'educational purposes' only and that it was legal for them to broadcast it live when streaming. The other people in the comments were saying it wasn't and they were going to report them to the CAA or something.
(The actual argument has been deleted now, presumably by Speedbird TV)

Anyway, I always thought that while a blind eye was turned to a bloke with a scanner at the end of a runway, it was still a no-no in the UK to broadcast air traffic control publicly.

Anyone care to shed some light on the rules, as I can't recall other aviation streamers having ATC live on their broadcasts, albeit I haven't watched that many.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Streamers broadcasting Live Air Traffic Control

Post by boff180 »

It’s illegal under Section 46 of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006.

I’ve copied/pasted the below from an excellent HAM radio website but provides a good summary….
What’s Legal in the UK?
  • It is legal to buy and own a scanner
  • It is legal to use a scanner to listen to licensed broadcast radio stations (e.g. BBC and commercial radio stations
  • It is legal to listen to CB radio transmission and amateur radio transmissions
  • It is legal to listen to weather and navigation transmissions
  • It is legal to listen to services for which you are licensed (for example, pilots are allowed to listen to the aircraft band)

What is not Legal in the UK?
  • It is not legal to listen to a pirate radio station
  • It is not legal to listen to messages that are not intended for you – this means that you cannot listen to business messages (e.g. taxis, couriers, nightclubs, etc) and private conversations.
  • It is not legal to listen to the emergency services (police, ambulance, fire) or the military
  • It is not legal to listen in on telephone calls, cordless phones, baby monitors, mobile phones, intercom systems
  • It is illegal to tell someone what has been said in a transmission that you were not allowed to hear.
Andy

2e1var

Post by 2e1var »

In my experience live streams, Zello etc. don't tend to last very long. I assume they are 'asked' to stop. Videos/audio recordings that are posted seem to be left alone, there's literally thousands of them on youtube. Regardless it's illegal to listen and illegal to share live or not.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Speedbird TV are at it again with a live broadcast from Heathrow with ATC.

According to them, this message from Ofcom means they can broadcast ATC for 'educational purposes'! Muppets. :facepalm:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XS9v1W ... gvi-I/view

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

ATC on the Stream is the Job, its 2021 now get over it.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

In the late 90's I had my scanner confiscated while standing by the fence at Farnborough. Police were being a jobs worth but I got a caution under the Wireless Telegraphy Act. I understand it is still technically illegal to listern to this, let alone broadcast it. I thus break the law most days.

Cole

Post by Cole »

Georgeconna wrote:
Sat 19 Mar 2022, 3:47 pm
glad to see its not just me forgetting its 2022 atm!
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

TheMaster

Post by TheMaster »

If it bothers anyone that much just go and take the CAA RT exam and get a license for VHF airband.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Georgeconna wrote:
Sat 19 Mar 2022, 3:47 pm
As already mentioned, it's 2022 :joy: , but if it's illegal then surely it's not a simple case of 'get over it', at least for the authorities; and if this were BJTV I imagine there'd be a few people spitting feathers about it, but it seems other streamers are given a free pass. :thinking:

Personally I don't really find it adds anything to a stream, although I do like the Red Arrows videos where radio comms are included.

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

Is it really in the public interest to prosecute anyone for these matters?

Maybe if you’re hacking into state secrets or otherwise distributing them.

But listening to an airband scanner, I’d suggest not.

Plus I’d suggest most Police Officers wouldn’t realise it’s an offence to begin a prosecution in the first place.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Ewart wrote:
Sun 20 Mar 2022, 9:03 am

As with photographers pointing their cameras inside the base perimeter (which is technically a breach of the Official Secrets Act as they are defined as prohibited places) I think it would be more of a case of if something happened or you were caught doing something more serious - it's another thing they would charge you with.

We can discuss whether they should or should not until the cows come home - that's a question of morality, it doesn't however change the fact that it's illegal.

For those that are interested - this is the specific offence (as defined by S.46 mentioned above) from s.48 of the 2006 Act....
48 Interception and disclosure of messages

(1)A person commits an offence if, [F1without lawful authority] —
(a)he uses wireless telegraphy apparatus with intent to obtain information as to the contents, sender or addressee of a message (whether sent by means of wireless telegraphy or not) of which neither he nor a person on whose behalf he is acting is an intended recipient, or
(b)he discloses information as to the contents, sender or addressee of such a message.

(2)A person commits an offence under this section consisting in the disclosure of information only if the information disclosed by him is information that would not have come to his knowledge but for the use of wireless telegraphy apparatus by him or by another person.

(3)A person does not commit an offence under this section consisting in the disclosure of information if he discloses the information in the course of legal proceedings or for the purpose of a report of legal proceedings.

[F2(3A)A person does not commit an offence under this section consisting in any conduct if the conduct—
(a)constitutes an offence under section 3(1) of the Investigatory Powers Act 2016 (offence of unlawful interception), or
(b)would do so in the absence of any lawful authority (within the meaning of section 6 of that Act).]

(4)A person who commits an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale.

2e1var

Post by 2e1var »

Ewart wrote:
Sun 20 Mar 2022, 9:03 am

Maybe if you’re hacking into state secrets or otherwise distributing them.

Plus I’d suggest most Police Officers wouldn’t realise it’s an offence to begin a prosecution in the first place.
Back in the 90's I left my Yupi 7100 loaded with Police freqs on my passenger seat while I dived into a shop. Came back to find a PC stood next to my car.
"Not the best idea to leave your mobile phone on your passenger seat like that is it sir?" he said :)
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Ha! The 90s eh, great times. Phones did look like scanners in those days (huge bricks)!!
My trusty AOR scanner is still going, must be 30 years old!