Sywell Jubilee Airshow 2012

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
DamienB

Sywell Jubilee Airshow 2012

Post by DamienB »

Sywell's bi-annual airshow returns in 2012 with the Red Arrows as the headline act. The show is on Sunday 19th August, with a vintage fly-in on the 18th (and almost certainly some display practices). We are, as usual, raising money for the local Air Ambulance. We raised over £30,000 in 2010 so please come along and help us to try and beat that!

The current line-up is...

Red Arrows (D)
BBMF Avro Lancaster (D)
Boeing B-17 'Sally B' (D)
Gloster Meteor (D)
C-47 Skytrain/Dakota (D/S)
Consolidated Catalina (D/S)
Supermarine Spitfire (D/S)
Hawker Hurricane (D/S)
North American P-51 Mustang pair (D/S)
Hawker Nimrod (D/S)
WW1 Dogfight (D/S)
The Blades (D/S)
Breitling Wingwalkers (D/S)
Trig Aerobatic Team (D/S)
Swip Team (D/S)
Barnstormers (D/S)
dH Dragon (D/S)
dH Fox Moth (D/S)
Miles Messenger (D/S)
Miles Whitney Straight (D/S)
Aeronca 100 (D/S)
Ryan PT-22 (D/S)
Bucker Jungmeister (D/S)
Bucker Bestmann (D/S)
Hughes 500 (D/S)
Hawker Hunter (S)

D = Display, S = Static

Tickets available online!

http://www.sywellairshow.co.uk
Last edited by DamienB on Sun 12 Aug 2012, 8:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Re: Sywell Jubilee Airshow 2012

Post by Domvickery »

NB. Sywell Airshow will not be responsible for persons or property vapourised by wandering Daleks and expect members of the public to be on their guard against attack by alien mutants. This does not affect your statutory rights. May contain nuts. Never run with scissors.

:lol: Less than an hour away from me, I think I'd be rude not to!
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

A bit of C-47 action. I'm sold. :biggrin:

What's the light like for the standard punter on the crowd line?
Why so serious?

Andover

Post by Andover »

I may be won over by WA591! Will there be much taking off/landing?

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

B-17G Sally B will be at Sywell according to her schedule! :yahoo:

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Yes, as per above post we have got B-17 Sally B confirmed now. That means that along with the Dakota, Lancaster and Catalina we have more "heavies" than Flying Legends... I think... :biggrin:

Jonesy wrote:What's the light like for the standard punter on the crowd line?

Sun starts off behind and to your left, moves round to ahead and to your left by the end of the day.

Andover wrote:I may be won over by WA591! Will there be much taking off/landing?

Almost all of the display acts will be based at the airfield but the Reds, Meteor, BBMF and Sally B will be operating from elsewhere as our hard runway isn't long enough.

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Jonesy wrote:A bit of C-47 action. I'm sold. :biggrin:

How about two then? :biggrin: Drag em oot will be joining us for static display and departing during the day, pairs take-off along with the one we have displaying.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Really looks like a tremendous line-up. This one has been pencilled in, weather permitting.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

Leave approved. I'll get the paperwork for entering the jeep filled this week. :smile:
Why so serious?

IanKeele

Post by IanKeele »

Any connecting bus services from Northampton rail station? Normal buses only seem to run Monday-Saturday
Ian

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

No bus link that I'm aware of I'm afraid. Taxi would appear to be the only option and would be 15 quid + for that sort of distance. Wellingborough station is closer so would be a bit cheaper.

AMB

Post by AMB »

Which Fox Moth - G-ACEJ or G-AOJH?
Adrian

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

'EJ!

Unfortunately, due to the cancellation of the Portsmouth Air Festival, we've now lost C-47 'Drag Em Oot' as it was going to be staging through Sywell enroute to/from that display and obviously no longer needs to do so. However we've still got a few items to add... and fingers crossed for one very special item if the planets and paperwork align...

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Ryan PT-22, Bucker Bestmann, Bucker Jungmeister and Miles Whitney Straight added to the display!

A few more to come... only 3 days left before online advance discounted ticket sales cease!

http://www.sywellairshow.co.uk/tickets.php

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Online ticket sales finish TONIGHT

Two more aircraft added - Miles Messenger and Aeronca 100!

MarinAviator

Post by MarinAviator »

If the weather gods are kind, thinking of coming down, but its a long way from Lancashire. Not been before. Comments about lighting above noted, but how good is Sywell for photography? Would appreciate any views, plus any tips etc on best locations etc? Many thanks.

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Have a look at past threads, the piccies should tell you all you need to know!

Our Jubilee Fly-in is TODAY - lots of visitors expected plus most of the display participants will be arriving. Some display practices are likely too. Come along and watch the action with an ice cream or a Pimms!

woody

Post by woody »

Just got home and wanted to say thanks for a fantastic display and well organised. Hope lots of cash was raised and here's looking forwrd to the next. All the best to the team.

Steve

stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Just got home and wanted to say thanks for a fantastic display and well organised. Hope lots of cash was raised and here's looking forwrd to the next. All the best to the team.

+1
What a great day out today! Thanks to Damien B and all the team! :clap: :worship: :yahoo:
Hunting for the bygone picture, reviving phantoms of the past. Claudia Brücken
www.pbase.com/stevieb

vigdriver

Post by vigdriver »

+1 really enjoyed the show, great crowds and really good atmosphere. Blades were superb.

Only moan I have is that along with a lot of other families and people we were directed to park in the overflow car park and then had to walk a really long way up to the entrance, on the main road with two way traffic still flowing as there as was no path. With our young one in a pushchair it was quite dangerous and off putting. It would have been far safer to enter people by the hotel as we did for Aeroexpo there earlier this year.

davew55
UKAR Supporter

Post by davew55 »

I was on my first visit today and thoroughly enjoyed the day. I presume there is a good reason but with such a well supported event in aid of a very good cause why is it only every other year ?

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

We've had a fantastic day - and expect our biggest Air Ambulance donation ever to be the result. Thanks all for your support.

vigdriver wrote:It would have been far safer to enter people by the hotel as we did for Aeroexpo there earlier this year.

Sorry and do take that on board but if you had your armbands already (tickets on sale since last November) you could have gone in via the hotel entrance - and we did our best to direct non-airshow traffic away from that road so that it was only slow-moving traffic going into the car parks. We're entirely volunteer run apart from some hired-in security staff so having pay points at anywhere other than the main car parks or main pedestrian entrance just isn't possible.

davew55 wrote:I was on my first visit today and thoroughly enjoyed the day. I presume there is a good reason but with such a well supported event in aid of a very good cause why is it only every other year ?

Cos it's tiring enough to do it every two years...! To be serious it's lots and lots of work and causes a lot of disruption to the airfield and businesses therein. The airfield's MD, Michael Bletsoe-Brown is incredibly supportive and we couldn't do it without him - in fact he's dipped into his own pocket to make a donation when the show has made a loss in the past, and the upgrading of the car parks for this years show was paid for by the airfield. We feel it also gives the show a bit more of a special atmosphere to do it every two years rather than every year and means we can really put our all into putting together something really special each time.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Great airshow with some top notch display items, and we had good weather for a change! :worship:

Only gripe was the lack of traffic management as it took me an hour of queuing to get to a car park, whereas if someone had been filtering the traffic at the mini roundabout in Sywell it would've moved a lot smoother (traffic was backed up to the A43!!) :wall:

captchaos

Post by captchaos »

Congratulations to everyone who made this happen for a great cause. A fantastic effort and a very full schedule that pretty much ran spot on. Thank you for the invitation and hope to come again.

MetMan
UKAR Supporter

Post by MetMan »

Wholeheartedly agree. Great line up and well organised (and good weather was a bonus). Particularly enjoyed the effort at fresh things like the 1930s 'race' - esp the Areonca flying bathtub, and the Dragon/Fox combo and the three Fokker triplanes in the air together - the list goes on. Well done to everyone involved. :clap: