No RAF Waddington airshow in 2015

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
138EAW

No RAF Waddington airshow in 2015

Post by 138EAW »

As expected the airshow is taking a break in 2015.

Lincs FM @LincsFM · 21m
#NEWS The 2015 Waddington Airshow has been cancelled. More at 1.

Bit more info on http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Waddi ... story.html
Gary

harkins

Re: No RAF Waddington airshow in 2015

Post by harkins »

The most worrying thing about this is will it ever return? The US sequestration of 2013 looks to have been the end of their involvement in UK airshows. These kinds of events often have lasting consequences. RAF Leuchars' air show hasn't been replaced and it would not surprise me in the least if we lose Waddington now. Just RAF Cosford left. Hope I'm wrong and it's just me being on a downer over this years sell out and the naff RIAT update.

Balb0wa

Post by Balb0wa »

I can see it coming back, good crowds every year, F35 coming into service soon etc.

It might depend on the economy or next election , will the red arrows still be going? or cuts to the mod.

JJC

Post by JJC »

They'd be stupid to ditch Waddington and keep Cosford if it came to such a decision.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

paulmblythe

Post by paulmblythe »

I vagually remember reading about a possible future scampton show if (and a big if) they can get the funding etc for the visitors centre. not sure if that's a realistic proposition though

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

There's been no mention of it being canned fully, its a year out while they do repairs. Why think negatively all the time.
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

It's a shame it can't be moved for next year to another base but I guess the costs and logistics of this make it prohibitive!

paulmblythe

Post by paulmblythe »

id be quite happy if they based everything elsewhere and there was no static for one year. the aircraft could still display at Waddington but obviously no landings. would be a bit like a seaside show. i guess the big show stopper to this idea would be access as where does all the construction plant and traffic fit in alongside the punters attending the show as regards space and safety.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

harkins wrote:The most worrying thing about this is will it ever return? The US sequestration of 2013 looks to have been the end of their involvement in UK airshows. These kinds of events often have lasting consequences. RAF Leuchars' air show hasn't been replaced and it would not surprise me in the least if we lose Waddington now. Just RAF Cosford left. Hope I'm wrong and it's just me being on a downer over this years sell out and the naff RIAT update.

I said this last year...I knew the sequestration was a watershed when it came to US participation.

harkins

Post by harkins »

rdchawk wrote:There's been no mention of it being canned fully, its a year out while they do repairs. Why think negatively all the time.

Granted it doesn't but, the US never said that they'd not appear at a UK airshow ever again post 2013's sequestration. It's natural to look on the negative in this hobby as over the last twenty years there has been a relentless downgrading of all aspects of the airshow scene. Less airshows, fewer types of aircraft, less aircraft appearing at those airshows, less dramatic displays. The only things increasing are ticket prices, non aircraft related 'things' on the airfields and the distance and altitude of the displays.

Anway, like I said, I hope I'm wrong and just being a miserable old pessimist.

I wonder if RIAT will benefit in any way from there being no Waddington next year?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

harkins wrote:
rdchawk wrote:There's been no mention of it being canned fully, its a year out while they do repairs. Why think negatively all the time.

Granted it doesn't but, the US never said that they'd not appear at a UK airshow ever again post 2013's sequestration.

And they haven't. Aside from industry funded stuff there's a KC-135 attending Waddo?

harkins

Post by harkins »

Tommy wrote:
harkins wrote:

Granted it doesn't but, the US never said that they'd not appear at a UK airshow ever again post 2013's sequestration.

And they haven't. Aside from industry funded stuff there's a KC-135 attending Waddo?

True, but lets see if it actually arrives and even then, one swallow doesn't make a summer.

paulmblythe

Post by paulmblythe »

in the short time since 2007. I can only remember seeing the thunderbirds and a flypast by rivet joint in that time. other than that there was the b52 which got it outrigger stuck in the grass and didn't fly and the cancelled b52 flypast a couple of years back. other than on the ground the us haven't supported the show very much in the time I have been attending long before the sequestrion.

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

harkins wrote:I wonder if RIAT will benefit in any way from there being no Waddington next year?

For me it was a toss up between Waddington and RIAT this year, as I couldn't afford to do both, or get the permit from 'Er indoors for both... so next year with no Waddington I will look to go to RIAT instead.

I imagine that the decision will be the same for a lot of other people as well.

luke

Post by luke »

Same here Talldan. Either or for me.

adamp89

Post by adamp89 »

paulmblythe wrote:I vagually remember reading about a possible future scampton

but scampton's runway is also very weak, aircraft like the vulcan cannot land there, dispite the runway being long enough
Adam

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

adamp89 wrote:

but scampton's runway is also very weak, aircraft like the vulcan cannot land there, dispite the runway being long enough

And Scampton itself is very, very run down. It would need a massive coat of paint and a polish to make it look anywhere near good enough to open up to the general public. I appreciate that the public don't get in and around the buildings, but the hangers etc would need a major spruce up.

At least Waddington is clean and tidy.

XP282

Post by XP282 »

adamp89 wrote:

Since when?

adamp89

Post by adamp89 »

since a long time, when was the last time you saw something heavier than the Lanc land at scampton???
Adam

CJS

Post by CJS »

Maybe in lieu of waddo, RIAT will be a combined international air tattoo and the RAF show next year? I'm just thinking out loud.

"well if you must think, for God's sake think clearly."

Edit: I'm very tired - just got off a 13 hour overnight bus journey with no sleep - that's my excuse...

:-P
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Maybe Cosford might benefit next year,with it being the sole RAF show?Then again probably not due to the runway length.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

Post by Ledhead27 »

Highly doubt Waddington will be canned solely on the principle of US sequestration. Waddington has only seen RC135 in 2012 and 2011, 2010 saw a KC-135 RC-135 and a pair of F-16Cs. Not whatbi would call massive attendance
"FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, DroneMan Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Dwadwood

jaydean

Post by jaydean »

paulmblythe wrote:in the short time since 2007. I can only remember seeing the thunderbirds and a flypast by rivet joint in that time. other than that there was the b52 which got it outrigger stuck in the grass and didn't fly and the cancelled b52 flypast a couple of years back. other than on the ground the us haven't supported the show very much in the time I have been attending long before the sequestrion.

Lost me pics from '08, but there was the B-52 that year as i recall, in '09 a KC-135, F-15C, F-15E. '10 there was an E-3, RC-135, C-130 and 2 x F16's. '11 was the T-Birds and 2 x C117's (though one was parked away from the public), and nothing much really since then.

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

Ledhead27 wrote:Highly doubt Waddington will be canned solely on the principle of US sequestration.

No-one has said that the US sequestration will lead to the end of the Waddington airshow. Well, not in this thread at least!

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

First alluded to by me in the main thread a few weeks ago. I stand by that, it's over for good as far as I'm concerned. Awful.