RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Spotty_Jag

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by Spotty_Jag »

-
Last edited by Spotty_Jag on Sat 21 Dec 2019, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

But that might give away their whole flying programme ;-)

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Sanicole continues its impressive line up with the Finnish F18 display. So we won't see one at Scampton this year as Sanicole has both the Swiss and Finnish F18s and the Spanish one not displaying at either that weekend.

I hope the team at DBH have got something to pull out of the bag to counter Sanicole this year, especially with a potential clash with the Belgian Air Force Air Days next year....

The Pakistani Air Force Aerobatic team - the 'Sherdils' equipped with K8 trainers are down to display at Radom 2 weeks before Scampton maybe DBH can get them for Scampton rather than RIAT in July

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

I can't help thinking they might have chosen a free weekend in September, a lot clashing!

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

-
Last edited by Spotty_Jag on Sat 21 Dec 2019, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

I know we are still a long way out but with what's being listed for Sanicole this could be a very underwhelming show. Channel tunnel already booked!!!

jon93

Post by jon93 »

Albion143 wrote:I know we are still a long way out but with what's being listed for Sanicole this could be a very underwhelming show. Channel tunnel already booked!!!

If they can share acts it'll be fine, remember 2010 when Waddo clashed with a Belgian show instead of not getting a visit by the Belgian F-16 demo team we were treated, at least those of us on the Saturday were, to 2x F-16s and an A330-300 formation flypast followed by the F-16s breaking into the circuit, the demo then displayed later on as far as I can remember. Then there was 2013? when the Pat de France turned up on Saturday morning with a good beating up of the airfield in order to get references for there display, not something you see everyday. Clashing isn't always bad.
Last edited by jon93 on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

I'll believe it when I see it. So far not a peep from Scampton yet an almost daily update of something decent from Sanicole. Draw your own conclusions.

jon93

Post by jon93 »

Chris G wrote:I'll believe it when I see it. So far not a peep from Scampton yet an almost daily update of something decent from Sanicole. Draw your own conclusions.

I agree that it is very quiet.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Chris G wrote:I'll believe it when I see it. So far not a peep from Scampton yet an almost daily update of something decent from Sanicole. Draw your own conclusions.

I think it's a little early to be drawing conclusions, they've only just started doing updates for RIAT, and that show is two months earlier. You may have to wait a little longer for Scampton updates, though I doubt the organisers are sitting on their hands doing nothing.

DanH

Post by DanH »

Seeing as it's being organised by the same team as the Air Tattoo I don't think it would be too surprising if they adopt the same policy for revealing participants, i.e. waiting until they have received written confirmation before they announce anything.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

:biggrin: I'm certainly giving serious consideration to heading to Sola in Norway this year rather than Cosford, last year it was Skrydstrup instead of the Midlands great air extravaganza. Such is the way of it these days, Cosford's updates so far, early days I know, is absolutely dismal, the RAF are promising very little once again, its most strange to be giving favour to the Scandinavian hosts rather than an official RAF At Home on the grounds of forecast participation. Already Sola have been able to announce the; Finish F-18, Swedish Gripen and its looking quite likely, the Norwegian F-104! :cuppa:

Cosford has the Strikemaster Pair and the Swiss PC7 9-ship team, nothing from the RAF yet. Some interesting stuff albeit, but nothing as yet to suggest an impressive line up to come, again its all holding up on the continent.

FB

CJS

Post by CJS »

Did you mean to post that in here?
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

CJS,

It does seem a little out of place, but it is a general point more over. However, I have a faith in DBH to put together an impressive Flying and Static Display. I don't think we'll be able to say the same about Cosford though. That things have come to military airshows in the Uk being on the back foot across the continent, save RIAT (Yeovilton still manages a respectable presentation, but behind much on the continent), then things have changed. Especially in an age when HM Forces are better known for agonizing over how Liberal their policies on accommodating the LGBTIQ community is. :cuppa: Just an observation of course.

FB :cuppa: :biggrin:

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

Scampton clashes with sanicole whats going there instead of scampton over that weekend ???
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Finningley Boy wrote:I don't think we'll be able to say the same about Cosford though.

Thanks for the vote of confidence for all the staff working hard at RAF Cosford to deliver the Royal Air Force's only official Air Show of 2017. I hope you've got a tasty hat because I think you'll be eating it on Monday 12th June....

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Peter, I'd let them say what they will. Some of us gladly support our local shows knowing full well the effort that goes in. The same applies to Scampton, most of us are pleased to see another UK show on the calendar.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

craig.mason wrote:Scampton clashes with sanicole whats going there instead of scampton over that weekend ???

Well at least your accommodation is sorted for this years events. Just get back under your rock? :facepalm: Bless!

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

Stagger2 wrote:
craig.mason wrote:Scampton clashes with sanicole whats going there instead of scampton over that weekend ???

Well at least your accommodation is sorted for this years events. Just get back under your rock? :facepalm: Bless!

:handbag:
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

PeterR wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:I don't think we'll be able to say the same about Cosford though.

Thanks for the vote of confidence for all the staff working hard at RAF Cosford to deliver the Royal Air Force's only official Air Show of 2017. I hope you've got a tasty hat because I think you'll be eating it on Monday 12th June....

Peter, I'll be reassured if for once, and that it becomes the norm, Cosford actually presents an airshow worthy of the old Leuchars, Waddington and Finningley airshows, indeed any old RAF airshows. If you can match the Belgian Air Force Days for content I will get that hat out, but I suspect that the programme will consist of; The Blades, Wildcats (Pitts Team), the WW1 team, BBMF, Red Arrows (at the end of the day because you always save the best till last :wink: ), the Falcons and the usual farrago of props and roters from a long, long time ago. I'm sure you'll have 'The Typhoon' to wow the punters with all the attendant hype. It's all most entertaining Peter, but Cosford is an RAF At Home day, not a council run seafront event, many of which it struggles to beat these days, some tell me to discount Scampton as an RAF event a point of view I can understand as it is wholly organized by the RIAT people. The organisers can work as hard as they like grabbing all the interesting extra 300s, Pitts, Turbulent teams and a privately operated Jet Provost, but I can't see you presenting a list of NATO frontline hardware, that's what a principal military airshow looks like. I dare say we've no chance of seeing the Tornado flying in any format this year nor the Hawk or even any of the new Transport, ISTAR types, the RAF will be represented, once again by the usual four suspects; Reds, Falcons, BBMF and Tiffy. I believe there are fatigue issues with the Chinook, that other constant.

Sorry I'm so negative, but I truly will be impressed if Cosford and indeed Scampton, which I'm already signed up to, present something rather more like the Leuchars of the 80s and 90s. Sola is already on its way to doing just that. :cuppa:

XX752

Post by XX752 »

Finningley Boy wrote:
PeterR wrote:

Peter, I'll be reassured if for once, and that it becomes the norm, Cosford actually presents an airshow worthy of the old Leuchars, Waddington and Finningley airshows, indeed any old RAF airshows. If you can match the Belgian Air Force Days for content I will get that hat out, but I suspect that the programme will consist of; The Blades, Wildcats (Pitts Team), the WW1 team, BBMF, Red Arrows (at the end of the day because you always save the best till last :wink: ), the Falcons and the usual farrago of props and roters from a long, long time ago. I'm sure you'll have 'The Typhoon' to wow the punters with all the attendant hype. It's all most entertaining Peter, but Cosford is an RAF At Home day, not a council run seafront event, many of which it struggles to beat these days, some tell me to discount Scampton as an RAF event a point of view I can understand as it is wholly organized by the RIAT people. The organisers can work as hard as they like grabbing all the interesting extra 300s, Pitts, Turbulent teams and a privately operated Jet Provost, but I can't see you presenting a list of NATO frontline hardware, that's what a principal military airshow looks like. I dare say we've no chance of seeing the Tornado flying in any format this year nor the Hawk or even any of the new Transport, ISTAR types, the RAF will be represented, once again by the usual four suspects; Reds, Falcons, BBMF and Tiffy. I believe there are fatigue issues with the Chinook, that other constant.

Sorry I'm so negative, but I truly will be impressed if Cosford and indeed Scampton, which I'm already signed up to, present something rather more like the Leuchars of the 80s and 90s. Sola is already on its way to doing just that. :cuppa:

5 items - Don't forget the mighty Grob Tutor!!!!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Finningley Boy wrote:
PeterR wrote:

Seriously? :wall: :wall:

As for Sola, no it's not. Not unless you mean because it's got an F-18 and an F-104.

Cosford had a Voyager flypast a few years back and, as you well know FB, plenty that unfortunately had to cancel or couldn't be seen due to the conditions over the last few years too - B-52, RAMEX Delta, German (?) Orion and so on.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

I`m sorry but I am getting a little tired of the constant sniping at Cosford and Scampton by “enthusiasts “. If you are going to Sola or Sanicole I truly hope you have a good time and we will all appreciate any photo`s you wish to post. However as far as aircraft attendance is concerned we are 3 months away from Cosford and 6 months away from Scampton. A lot can happen in the last week both additions and cancellations indeed even on the day aircraft can go “tech” or be unable to attend.

Scampton is a brand new airshow and I for one will be happy just to set foot on a “new” and historic site; one that I have only ever seen from the A15 and I am travelling from Cornwall for the weekend to do so. Given good weather I will have a great time.

Lets cut the organisers some slack and let them get on with the job of presenting the best air show they can without trying to knock them down every few days with negativity.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

@Xray833

:clap: