RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Rebecca_1984

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by Rebecca_1984 »

I think potentially airworthy is a fairer description. I don't think the Buccaneer has run its engines in many years, probably since its arrival at Scampton. However the Su22 was certainly doing anti det runs up until a few years ago, I don't know if they have continued? The Su22 was in the Scampton heritage museum hangar late last year, along with a Hunter. The Buccaneer was in one of the HHA hangers.

Phil

The Buccaneer most certainly has been run while at Scampton as I was visiting for the day when a ground run happened, it was a few years ago now so I'm not sure if it is still run or even able to run.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

iainpeden wrote:
duffspeed wrote:
XP282 wrote:I'm not suggesting that HHA's aircraft will fly at Scampton... I'm simply saying that I would expect to see their aircraft in the static park as they do in the families day.

Does anybody think there might be a chance that any of the HHA's assets could be brought out for a full-power taxi run as part of the show? Their website suggests the SU-22 is kept in just such a condition - unless that information is now out of date...

Having chatted to the HHA reps with the Hunter at Fairford they seemed very supportive of the shows and suggested they might have a Phantom with them at Fairford next year. As to your question, and this is an uneducated guess, if the airfame is available, all the training is in place and the run would be cost neutral then I would think it's a reaonable hope.
The organisers at RIAT are very experienced in asking for special items - have fath in them because they'll get it if possible.

I think the problem is that they can't possibly be cost neutral, as they can't ever expect to recover the cost of preparing for a display from the organisers, even if the aircraft were brought up to airworthiness for a commercial customer. I guess one avenue may be a sponsor? Hopefully things have changed based on your more recent information.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Rebecca_1984 wrote:
I think potentially airworthy is a fairer description. I don't think the Buccaneer has run its engines in many years, probably since its arrival at Scampton. However the Su22 was certainly doing anti det runs up until a few years ago, I don't know if they have continued? The Su22 was in the Scampton heritage museum hangar late last year, along with a Hunter. The Buccaneer was in one of the HHA hangers.

Phil

The Buccaneer most certainly has been run while at Scampton as I was visiting for the day when a ground run happened, it was a few years ago now so I'm not sure if it is still run or even able to run.

That's good new. My visit to HHA took place maybe 7 years ago and at the time I was told the Buccaneer was potentially airworthy, but effectively mothballed until a customer came along. Whereas we did specifically discuss the Su22, they had German crew come across to perform the anti det runs. Apparently they were always done to attract as little attention as possible, I believe they involved a fast taxi, (though maybe that was just to get the crew black to the airport :lol:) . Having seen the Su22 last year, I wouldn't be surprised if that had now all ceased.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

1 year to go until the new airshow at RAF Scampton takes off!

However, we still don't know alot of information regarding the new show.

What kind of show will it be? mini Waddington/ RIAT or more like a seaside airshow?

Where will the display aircraft be based? Scampton or will they fly in from other RAF bases ( Coningsby/ Waddington ), we know that obviously the Reds will be based there plus the HHA jets but don't know if Scampton can accommodate any more.

How the Clash with Sanicole will affect the display?

If it clashes with Southport then it will need to offer something different to the seaside airshow or people may choose southport over scampton, if its cheaper....

Will parking be at the Lincolnshire showground or on the base?

I am personally hoping for a 'mini' RIAT style show, with a gathering of aerobatic teams as it is the Red Arrows home, with foreign solo/ duo displays added plus the full RAF/ RN/ AAC displays with a selection of popular civilian acts

1 year to go..... RAF Scampton International Airshow

G-AMPY

Post by G-AMPY »

BossMann wrote:1 year to go..... RAF Scampton International Airshow

From all the press releases so far, the event will just be called 'Scampton Airshow'. No 'RAF' (as it is not a proper RAF air show afterall) and no 'international' title like RAF Waddington. Take from that what you will...

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

G-AMPY wrote:From all the press releases so far, the event will just be called Scampton Airshow. No 'RAF' (as it is not a proper RAF air show afterall) and no 'international' title like RAF Waddington. Take from that what you will...

Where has that come from?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

"Sir Edward Leigh, the Member of Parliament for the Gainsborough constituency, who represents Scampton, has welcomed news that the first RAF Scampton Air Show will take place between 9th – 10th September 2017. Sir Edward said:

“Lord Howe, at the Ministry of Defence, has written to inform me that the RAF Scampton Air Show, being organised by the RAF Charitable Trust, will take place in early September 2017. I am very pleased that following intense efforts by myself and others we have secured the continuation of an RAF Air Show in Lincolnshire.”

The news came following an earlier letter in February that RAF Scampton would be the new home of the RAF Waddington Air Show, after operational changes meant that the base had become unsuitable as a host location. Writing to Sir Edward Lord Howe said:

“I am pleased that I can now confirm that the RAF Charitable Trust has agreed that the 2017 Scampton Air Show will take place on 9-10 September 2017… I am sure you will agree with me this is good news.”

Posted by Edward Leigh's Office | June 1st, 2016"
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

G-AMPY wrote:
BossMann wrote:1 year to go..... RAF Scampton International Airshow

From all the press releases so far, the event will just be called 'Scampton Airshow'. No 'RAF' (as it is not a proper RAF air show afterall) and no 'international' title like RAF Waddington. Take from that what you will...

I see your point. So its just the Scampton Airshow??? doesn't sound as grand as RAF Scampton International Air Show does it?
Maybe they will give it a proper name like RIAT once DBH know it will work ?? any suggestions?

I have also noticed that the RAF roundel is 'suggested' in the logo but is not the RAF roundel....and the hawk is a red Saudi Hawk colourscheme jet not the Red Arrows colour scheme............very weird

Also the RAFCTE website has no mention of its 'second show' with its only show being promoted at RIAT....

I hope its not a seaside airshow line up with no foreign stuff.......when DBH did the flying display for Eastbourne in the 2000s they got the Jordanian Falcons, Belgian F16, Belgian sea king, Belgian Fouga Magister, Dutch F16, Dutch AB412, French Mirage 2000, USAF B1B full display and KC135 and MC130 flypasts......so it can be done 'away' from Fairford

It would be nice if RAFCTE had some sort of forum where they could actually discuss plans publicly and maybe take suggestions on board for the new show???

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

No doubt we will hear more from the RAFCTE in the coming months once plans have gelled and there is something to tell us.

Dragon Rapide

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

BossMann wrote:
If it clashes with Southport then it will need to offer something different to the seaside airshow or people may choose southport over scampton, if its cheaper....

I've just seen Southport is set for 15th 17th September next year and with Duxford 23rd 24th September it looks like no clashes with other UK shows. It's going to make a great season end next year, Scampton, Southport and finish off with Duxford.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Is there any news as to when the tickets for the RAF Scampton Air Show will be released?

harkins

Post by harkins »

Still just says that they hope to have tickets on sale by the end of the year. I haven't seen anything other than that.

I must admit between the apparently decrepit state of the airfield and the tone of information released so far, I do suspect that this might be pretty much a seaside show inland. Even the heading on the website says;
Scampton Airshow will be an exciting, two-day, family friendly airshow, taking place over 9-10 September 2017 at RAF Scampton, the home of the Red Arrows.

What airshow isn't family friendly? I'm trying to think of one that includes hookers and blackjack. Perhaps it's just a way of saying, "it's not for the enthusiast".

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

harkins wrote: I'm trying to think of one that includes hookers and blackjack.

When you remember one, don't forget to let us know :wink:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I'm sure MAKS had a Blackjack? :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

I did miss a trick there by not saying Tu-160s and Mi-6s :facepalm:

CJS

Post by CJS »

capercaillie wrote:

I'm sure MAKS had a Blackjack? :whistle:

I always thought they were included in the RIAT mach3 package.

They're not?

Rip off...
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

harkins wrote:Still just says that they hope to have tickets on sale by the end of the year. I haven't seen anything other than that.

I must admit between the apparently decrepit state of the airfield and the tone of information released so far, I do suspect that this might be pretty much a seaside show inland. Even the heading on the website says;
Scampton Airshow will be an exciting, two-day, family friendly airshow, taking place over 9-10 September 2017 at RAF Scampton, the home of the Red Arrows.

What airshow isn't family friendly? I'm trying to think of one that includes hookers and blackjack. Perhaps it's just a way of saying, "it's not for the enthusiast".

remember that it's the RAFCTE Scampton Airshow at RAF Scampton. It's not the RAF Scampton International Air Show as discussed earlier in this thread. Time will only tell if Scampton Airshow will be the final name of this show or will they go for a more 'RIAT' type brand name ...

RIAT is also billed as a 'family show' with techno zones etc... and is a civilian commercial run event, but because of their 'links' and heavyweight RAF support they manage to secure lots of foreign military and now trade aircraft from sponsors so that it caters well for the enthusiast too. Is RIAT actually aimed at the enthusiast or is it that it just caters well for the enthusiast?

Similarly the Scampton event will also be a civilian commercial run event but at an RAF base but hoping that since its run by the same RIAT team will also cater well for the enthusiast. I am sure the RAFCTE team at DBH will be aware that if they offer a line up that one can get at a free seaside Airshow then the public may choose a free seafront show over an advance ticketed airfield based show, so they will know that they need to offer something different. I hope that their links via RIAT will be able to get a decent line up of foreign displays for this show too. Only time will tell, remember it clashes with Sanicole...!

The only main difference between RIAT and Scampton will be with the airfield itself. Fairford can accommodate vast number of aircraft upto An124 size for static and can accommodate all the flying display aircraft with ease. We still don't know what Scampton can accommodate in terms of static aircraft and upto what size (although I remember seeing upto c17 size on one of the threads) and also how many display aircraft it can accommodate and where.

Worst case scenario would be small static park with types upto c17 size plus RAF,RN, Army villages on the grass plus the Reds and a few other display aircraft operating from RAF Scampton itself with the rest using RAF Waddington/ Coningsby with the RAF display teams using their own bases - a little similar to the Sanicole Airshow /RAF Cosford setup with most flying aircraft being based at KB/ RAF Shawbury.

Does anyone know if RAF Scampton can accommodate flare carrying aircraft? Can RAF Waddington (in non Airshow mode) or RAF Coningsby accommodate them? That will make a difference with foreign jet displays.

Only time will tell how this new show will eventually turn out but the prospect of a second RIAT-style flying display is good.

I am sure I have read that their will be 'some' parking at RAF Scampton itself with the organisers still looking at using the Lincolnshire showground for the park and ride? Well if they don't use the Lincolnshire showground as the official park and ride facility then I am sure it will become the obvious non RAFCTE park and view setting!

C24

Post by C24 »

:cuppa:

This thread seems to dying for wont of a rumour or two, so I thought to start one myself.
The owner of the field at the 04 end is contemplating opening the field(s) for parking. Access/egress from the A1500. The field owner at the other end has not yet considered the possible use if his field(s).

That should generate a comment or two. :wat: :tumbleweed: :whistle: Have a good weekend.
C24.

"There is no go round in a glider".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Given that Rhymes reportedly got 'bought off' this year I presume the same would have to happen here.

Of course we know this is all a nonsense as you can go to the end of the live runway at any commercial airport any day of the week and press your nose to the fence whilst huge commercial jets land directly overhead and no one will say a word (as long as you are no shouldering a RPG launcher or waving a laser pen around!)

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Rather dying for want of new facts! And they'll come along when they're good and ready!

Dragon Rapide

C24

Post by C24 »

To expand on my above rumour.
Rhymes Field does not enter into the equation. Please consult a map.

There is a crash gate at the 04 end, to the east of the runway centreline. If a line is drawn from there to the A1500 (ie perpendicular to the road) the field(s) to the east of the line would be the western boundary of a parking area. (Possibly 2/3rds the size of RIAT's Blue parking).

Entrance the airfield would be through the crash gate.
:cuppa:

Incidentally, Thunder & Lightning's website has incorrect runway headings. Should read 04/22.
C24.

"There is no go round in a glider".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/

CJS

Post by CJS »

I don't think anyone was suggesting Rhymes might actually be used - it's a field bordering RIAT that was closed this year in response to the new CAA rulings. The organisers are the same therefore the leap of assumption isn't exactly that great.

No maps need consulting.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Thank you CJS

@c24 :tongue2:

XP282

Post by XP282 »

C24 wrote:The field owner at the other end has not yet considered the possible use if his field(s).

Wrong!

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

CJS wrote:I don't think anyone was suggesting Rhymes might actually be used - it's a field bordering RIAT that was closed this year in response to the new CAA rulings. The organisers are the same therefore the leap of assumption isn't exactly that great.

No maps need consulting.

To be fair, consulting a map as suggested does confirm that the Rhymes issue is not relevant in this case. At Fairford, Rhymes is on the 'dangerous' side of the runway track, whilst the field in question here at Scampton is on the 'safe' side.

Also, I'm not sure that 'freeloading' (as per Rhymes etc.) is necessarily what is being considered here. Is the farmer perhaps thinking more in terms of renting the field to the Airshow team, for official parking? :question:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....