RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
XX752

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by XX752 »

XP282 wrote:
XX752 wrote:
cg_341 wrote:Just one reported at Scampton so far?

A400M Cancelled.

No surprises there then - Leaves no big aircraft at all on static.

I think they can be forgiven given the circumstances!

Yes of course - however it just further exposes the shows flimsy line up - Take away something from not much to start with................

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Dont go then
No one is forcing you.

XX752

Post by XX752 »

jules48 wrote:Dont go then
No one is forcing you.

That is correct. I have no desire to pay nearly £40 for a seaside show line up. At least Ten pounds overpriced for what is offered. Such a shame as this could have been the start of a really good new venue, It's almost of if it's been set up to to fail.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

That's it then! :mad: I'm definitely not going to Scampton. Why do they have to send the exact A400M to the 'Caribbean' (tut!) that was due at Scampton? Any of the 14 others could've come & nobody would've noticed. :whistle:
Oh, wait! I wasn't going anyway, so I'll gather all my toys back into the pram. Lucky for me I had a bedtime story months back which told of mythical events unfolding at Scampton. The story was very sad & there was nothing for the people to cheer about. Then to top it all the weather was going to be really pants. They all lived unhappily ever after. The End.

jules48

Post by jules48 »

So why are you commenting on this forum if you are not even going.

AMB

Post by AMB »

jules48 wrote:So why are you commenting on this forum if you are not even going.

Cos forums are for expressing opinions, whether going or not! :whistle: Nothing wrong with that.
Adrian

XP282

Post by XP282 »

I have to say, as I look across the airfield I don't think its looking like a bad show. I still think its expensive, but it looks like a nice show... It has many of 'assets' that we reminisce about... Saab's Buccaneer, F4.... I cant think when I last saw a Canadian F18. A nice selection of classics too. Its no RIAT (Nor is it Waddington at another location), but then it never was. As for the flying. Its not great, but then where else have we seen an Astor, E3 and KC135 flying at a UK show this year?

I hope its the start of something great. personally, I'm not sure what people are upset about? Is it the quality of the show, the price, or both?

The organisers wanted this to be a family event, and for those that can afford to go, I think it will be a success in that respect.

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

It doesn't look that bad of a show. As has been said there's some nice static gems in the lineup I'm looking forward to seeing HHA's contribution as I've not seen there F-4 or Su22 in person. The SWAHF are always a bonus in the uk but I'd like to see the bill for having them just sat on the tarmac but seems elf and safety say they are somehow more dangerous than others. Scampton is an airfield that I've not visited within the base as such so that's also a positive. Oil spill response being added to the flying has made a nice surprise, wonderful display from a large aircraft.

The ticket price is a bit high for the shows first year but if a good chunk goes to charity I see it as a fare price with a charity donation thrown on top.

The A-400 cancelling is understandable with what's going on in the Caribbean but the fact the RAF could only commit one A-400 for static before the recent unforeseen events is very poor. Surely not all of the RAF is busy or unserviceable this weekend. As someone has previously said it's as though scampton is being set up to fail.

I will be going tomorrow as I've had tickets for a long while and no doubt I will enjoy it.

Also one random question I have a black lab and have been reading about the dog who shall remain nameless who is buried at Scampton. Is the grave area on a part of the base that will be open to the public on a show day ? Only pics of it show it in front of a hangar I believe.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Yes Niggers grave is in front of Hangar 3 - part of the Vintage Village and Heritage Centre

The Alpha Jet solo is a big highlight. Superb display including an on-crowd negative G push over!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Stagger2 wrote:That's it then! :mad: I'm definitely not going to Scampton. Why do they have to send the exact A400M to the 'Caribbean' (tut!) that was due at Scampton? Any of the 14 others could've come & nobody would've noticed. :whistle:

2 words - crew availability

Why task a crew that's not expecting to go out or retask a crew on duty.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Are any of the flying jets crowdside like they have been at RIAT before?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

frank

Post by frank »

Some nice videos of arrivals - Canadian CF18 and SWAF - from Planes TV.

JJC

Post by JJC »

French Alpha Jet was superb to see, a great, energetic display - really highlights how much missed the RAF Hawk solo is.

Not a bad day at all today, for a fiver. Torrential rainstorm was something else this morning.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Are any of the flying jets crowdside like they have been at RIAT before?

The vast majority are crowd side but the only ones visible from the crowd are the Reds on the lazy.

T_J

Post by T_J »

BBMF Lancaster, Hurricane and Spitfire serviceable for Scampton Airshow

https://twitter.com/RoyalAirForce/statu ... 6238937088

https://www.facebook.com/BBMF.Official/

melcragg

Post by melcragg »

Chaos on the way to the show. Traffic control sent us the wrong way. A nightmare.

frank

Post by frank »

Hope everyone has a great day out - look forward to seeing the photos :smile:

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

melcragg wrote:Chaos on the way to the show. Traffic control sent us the wrong way. A nightmare.

There are a few moans & groans about the traffic on Facebook today (Sat). I have opted not to go to this event (although I went to the 1997-2014 Waddington shows) - just a bit too far doing Coventry - Scampton and return in the same day, the bussing in bit rather put me off. Think I'll let it 'bed in' and try next year assuming the show returns. Will be interesting to see how it goes today and tomorrow, it always nice to have a new show on the scene - hopefully this will be deemed a success.

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

For those at Scampton, if you are going to visit the Heritage Hangar in Blue Zone, please drop by The People's Mosquito display (behind the Blackburn B2). The team will happy to answer your questions about the project.
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants

Danny

Post by Danny »

What happened with the Reds today?

Only four jets went up?
"Can you believe it? Chelsea will just not let go in the Champions League!"

scottspencer

Post by scottspencer »

Tech issue with one (were already 1 down) and not allowed to fly 4+3 so 4 taxied back

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

scottspencer wrote:Tech issue with one (were already 1 down) and not allowed to fly 4+3 so 4 taxied back

How embarrassing.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

No spare available at their home base?[sarcasm] :clap: [/sarcasm]
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

minnie the moocher

Post by minnie the moocher »

Have just seen I can upgrade my ticket tomorrow on arrival to the Dambusters Enclosure - so what happened to the no selling tickets on site :question: .
Will be sticking with our overpriced basic tickets , cold collation, blanket and brolly.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Red 5 was unable to fly (unconfirmed I have been told he is on paternity leave) and Red 3 went tech whilst taxiing out.

They can only fly their full display with a minimum of 8 aircraft.

They were very lucky that the two aircraft missing were from one formation (Enid) which meant Gypo could go up.

It could have very easily been no display today. I understand it's an 8 ship again tomorrow.