jules48

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by jules48 »

Would have thought there own website would be accurate.lol

PanaviaTornado

Post by PanaviaTornado »

jules48 wrote:Would have thought there own website would be accurate.lol

Same (why I booked the Monday tickets), but the post a few previous says they are down for Sunday departure. Tried asking for clarification from the poster but none given yet.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Out of curiosity, has anything arrived yet? I guess it's only a fiver, so roughly the price of a pint of posh lager, but I imagine anyone who has paid £5 and is sitting there all day today is going to be a very patient person and have taken a good book with them.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

We've literally had two hawks and the Belgian f-16 which is off back to Belgium later

harkins

Post by harkins »

Pretty quiet then, as expected. If the BAF F-16 has arrived but will depart later, I assume that it will be doing it's display practice/approval this afternoon. That'll be good to see at least.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

It displayed earlier but nothing is coming and the weather looks iffy tomorrow

PanaviaTornado

Post by PanaviaTornado »

UKAirshowTour wrote:It displayed earlier but nothing is coming and the weather looks iffy tomorrow

Wish they made info like that available earlier, would have gone today knowing that! Common sense surely says if they announce the BAF F-16 rehearsal on the Thursday even if late on (maybe via twitter/facebook/dedicated arrivals on their site), they will sell more P+V tickets.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

They haven't announced anything there's not even a schedule of arrivals and nobody knows any details of what's coming it's pretty annoying

harkins

Post by harkins »

Oh dear. In fairness, I think we all know that they haven't haven't arranged the park and view as an actual event, but as a necessity to avoid people trying to park in the lanes.

It's funny how we often talk about the quality of participation at airshows, whether it's RIAT, Cosford, Scampton or even Sanicole, yet the weather almost invariably cocks everything up every year at every event. The last two RIAT's have had amazing line-ups, and yet terribly disappointing weather overall. And if Scampton does get some USAF bomber fly pasts, they'll probably be just like the Cosford ones, brief glimpses through the murk. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's why the wonderful Woodford air show came to an end when it did, the fact that about four in every 5 years was hit with at best very low dark grey cloud and at worst a monsoon.

It's also another reason why the shows like the advance only tickets and the public hate them. For any multi day show you really do want to wait until the eleventh hour until committing to a particular day.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Well either way a lot has to arrive tomorrow or it may be a quiet show

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

vulcan558 wrote:Can Scamptons Runway take the use of aircraft with afterburners.?

I should hope so, it was designed originally to take Vulcans routinely, I know its a long time ago, but if it couldn't manage now just how cheap was the resurfacing since? Anyway, the SU-22 Fitter and Phantom, I understand re meant to use it and now we hear the Belgian F-16 is operating.... good heavens, of course it can handle afterburners, its a former operational V-Bomber base and has been maintained and in constant use since bar a fallow period in the 1990s when Major's Government gave it the chop, briefly, under 'Frontline First'. :cuppa:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

st24

Post by st24 »

Finningley Boy wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:Can Scamptons Runway take the use of aircraft with afterburners.?

I should hope so, it was designed originally to take Vulcans routinely, I know its a long time ago, but if it couldn't manage now just how cheap was the resurfacing since? Anyway, the SU-22 Fitter and Phantom, I understand re meant to use it and now we hear the Belgian F-16 is operating.... good heavens, of course it can handle afterburners, its a former operational V-Bomber base and has been maintained and in constant use since bar a fallow period in the 1990s when Major's Government gave it the chop, briefly, under 'Frontline First'. :cuppa:

FB :biggrin:

After the Vulcans BAe's Phantoms regularly burnt the place up 'till the late '80s....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Rebecca_1984

Post by Rebecca_1984 »

PanaviaTornado wrote:
jules48 wrote:Would have thought there own website would be accurate.lol

Same (why I booked the Monday tickets), but the post a few previous says they are down for Sunday departure. Tried asking for clarification from the poster but none given yet.

Came from a guy who claims to be helping out at the airshow we spoke to at Coningsby viewing area last week, my partner is attending on Sunday so once he lets me know what does happen I will confirm on here exactly what does go on with the Draken etc as I'm sure others will want to know. I hope the rumour is nothing more than that as would like to have a trip over to see them leave myself on Monday, I'm working on Saturday, Sunday and unable to make it tomorrow so Monday could be my only chance to see them this year.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Guess they will try and get in all the aircraft early friday before the weather closes in.
Sunday looks terrible with high winds and rain,

n0143773

Post by n0143773 »

Looks like the Germans have sent more than 1 typhoon!

Edit - the others are off to Coningsby it seems!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

It was a pair due from a deployment to Coningsby IIRC.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Prefect T1 for static display is a nice added bonus. :clap:

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Just one reported at Scampton so far?

A400 Cancelled.

XX752

Post by XX752 »

cg_341 wrote:Just one reported at Scampton so far?

A400M Cancelled.

No surprises there then - Leaves no big aircraft at all on static.

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert »

Perhaps the A400 is off the the Carribean for disaster relief.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Fat Albert wrote:Perhaps the A400M is off the the Carribean for disaster relief.

It is.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

frank

Post by frank »

USAFE KC135R flypast on sunday only

badgercote

Post by badgercote »

I live a couple of miles away to the north and I have to say that at the moment it is flippin' quiet.
We usually hear something..... but at present it is nothing.
The sun is shining right now, clouds quite high and fluffy, pleasantly warm, lots of blue sky, but it changes very quickly.
I am still awaiting my first free showing of some aircraft...... ANY aircraft !!

jules48

Post by jules48 »

If you look on their twitter feed it gives arrival times all subject to wx/serviceability etc

XP282

Post by XP282 »

XX752 wrote:
cg_341 wrote:Just one reported at Scampton so far?

A400M Cancelled.

No surprises there then - Leaves no big aircraft at all on static.

I think they can be forgiven given the circumstances!