RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
AngryAndyPandy

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

"...might as well save money & take just 6 to Greece!"

Comments like that really do bemuse me. It reads as if you think it's your god given right to see 9 reds in the air all the time, every time regardless of circumstance. That and it's just not helpful and childish. There's no need.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

andrewn wrote:
bennysdad wrote:
Finally just a personal observation. This is my first visit to Scampton and I was quite looking forward to visiting this historic base. It looked sad and neglected with so many unoccupied buildings being left to rot. Please preserve it or demolish it.

Yes it is very sad. Scampton should be declared a national heritage site and maintained accordingly. If our useless Government had anything about it they'd divert a tiny % of the billions being spent on HS2 and get Scampton back into the condition it deserves. Going forwards it would then make a perfect living centre for aviation heritage - a kind of Bruntingthorpe without the commercial constraints or a Duxford with a decent runway length.

It'll never happen of course :(

Here's a link to the 2004 English Heritage (now Historic England) Report on RAF Scampton - the file opens to a 70 page PDF document!

https://content.historicengland.org.uk/ ... ation.pdf/
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

you think it's your god given right to see 9 reds in the air

Given that 95% of the people who go to airshows are just Joe Public out for a nice day out with the kids and therefore they are going to be expecting to see the more populist types of displays such as the RAFAT and the BBMF.

So they must have been a bit bemused to pay £40 for a ticket only to be told the RAF are now incapable of maintaining their aircraft in airworthy condition long enough to complete a 40 minute display and that the team were a man down as Cpt Mumsnet had abandoned the team to rush off to be wrist deep in baby poop.

The whole sorry state is getting beyond satire and each day starts to look more like something from Mony Python/ Rutland Tv and less like the premier division of flyers from one of the Worlds most reputable air forces. Those who were clamouring for the Reds to be disbanded before they did irreversible damage to the reputation and by association the RAF's reputation may have been on to something.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

It's sad and concerning if this is the state of an active RAF base!!

CJS

Post by CJS »

speedbird2639 wrote:

So they must have been a bit bemused to pay £40 for a ticket only to be told the RAF are now incapable of maintaining their aircraft in airworthy condition long enough to complete a 40 minute display and that the team were a man down as Cpt Mumsnet had abandoned the team to rush off to be wrist deep in baby poop.

You really are a delight aren't you?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

BigBlackCat

Post by BigBlackCat »

To be totally honest, I was disappointed in the show yesterday.

The traffic management was poor-signage not that clear, ended up taking a 10 mile detour to get on base.

Flying display was a bit thin for the cost. You can't do anything about aircraft going unserviceable on the runway of course, but I'm sure Joe Public were a bit disappointed and bemused to see a Red Arrows 4 ship-I do understand the specific issue and rules of course, but they were the centrepiece of the whole display, and surely a bit of reshuffling could have been done to allow them to get up as an 8 ship?

This was a £40 a ticket airshow after all-and it wasn't a £40 airshow line up without its star act at their home base?

Remember, this was the same team who organise RIAT-I expected a bit better to be honest. Of course, its the first year, and inevitably there will be teething troubles.

But first impressions do count, and at the minute I'd be leaning towards 2 days at RIAT rather than 1 day at RIAT and 1 at Scampton....

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Sounds to me like all that was missing was, Kenneth Williams, Sid James and co. "Carry on Scampton" So glad i decided to give this show a miss.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Keldsyke

Post by Keldsyke »

CJS wrote:
speedbird2639 wrote:

You really are a delight aren't you?

To be fair he's right, it's not as though they didn't have 9 months plus notice! I'm sure some agreement could have been arranged where commitments that needed to be fulfilled could have been agreed, but as I've learnt in life theres always two sides to every story so there maybe factors involved that we are not aware of.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I'm not at the £40 farce, but have had texts telling me that both the BBMF (presumably a butterfly farting within 50 miles) and Aldi Rafale (tech) have cancelled from today's thrilling, value-for-money line-up.

Combined with "Cpt Mumsnet" ( :clap: :clap: :clap: ), what a weekend for the RAF, at their own show.

scottspencer

Post by scottspencer »

Thought the French had a spare aircraft anyway?

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

scottspencer wrote:Thought the French had a spare aircraft anyway?

"Aldi Rafale" = Typhoon.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I'm not at the £40 farce, but have had texts telling me that both the BBMF (presumably a butterfly farting within 50 miles) and Aldi Rafale (tech) have cancelled from today's thrilling, value-for-money line-up.

Combined with "Cpt Mumsnet" ( :clap: :clap: :clap: ), what a weekend for the RAF, at their own show.

Strange I'm watching the Typhoon close the show right now...

scottspencer

Post by scottspencer »

Id read that too quick, ZK452 again?

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

boff180 wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:I'm not at the £40 farce, but have had texts telling me that both the BBMF (presumably a butterfly farting within 50 miles) and Aldi Rafale (tech) have cancelled from today's thrilling, value-for-money line-up.

Strange I'm watching the Typhoon close the show right now...

I shall chastise my texter accordingly.

Close the show? It's a quarter past four?

scottspencer

Post by scottspencer »

Flying was 11-4 yesterday (ran until around 1615)

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

First years show is/was a 5hr flying display.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Really Excellent Airshow yesterday. Very glad I went, even with the cancelled displays. I was made up to see the BBMF Lancaster Spitfire and Hurricane. Thankyou so much BBMF, you really made my day ! Going the extra mile, to get the fleet flying again. Very much appreciated ! So good to see the Griffon engined Spitfire XIX PS915.

Especially in it's new silver scheme. Been longing to see it at an Air display for ages. Excellent fast jet displays, especially by the Belgian F16 and Alphajet. And I liked the Boeing 727 Pollution control demonstration. Also the opening ISTAR and Red Arrows formation pass, was memorable and the AWACS Sentry flypast. Also seeing the Duxford based Catalina display, in the worst of the days weather, with lights on in the murky light, was awesome to see. A really fantastic day in my opinion. And hardly any gaps, in the Display, compared with many Airshows I have been to in the UK. Spectacular weather too ! I will definately be coming, to next years Airshow :smile:

Why have the BBMF cancelled today ? The BBMF Lancaster was flying this morning, according to Facebook !?

Saleemrama

Post by Saleemrama »

Surely if you have not been there you should not be commenting on the subject. Having been there yesterday, I have some gripes, but nothing major - only traffic management, but I had the same at RIAT. For a first major show I think they did a great job on Saturday as we watched the weather roll in and out, with thunder and lightening from 2:30 to 3:30. The transfer busses to the airfield were in abundance and that worked quickly and effectively. The state of the "off airfield" side of the camp was depressing though -dad would probably be ashamed of it if he had lived long enough to go to the show.

By the way if you buy "early bird tickets" they are nowhere near £40 - and the kids are free. Good first attempt, I think today would have been better than yesterday from a traffic perspective, but will certainly support it next year.

The major gripe for me were the inflated prices for food and drink etc - way higher than RIAT.
£9 for two crappy bacon rolls - served by a teenager, who couldn't get the bacon to fold in the bread so left it hanging out. The grease dribbled out and got into my goretex jacket - I hope it comes out!
£6 for two small cartons of chips - frozen chips, that were too greasy to eat.
£6 for two pints of Diet Coke.
£7 for a brochure - with the wrong aircraft for the flying display in it (that's all we bought it for).

Did like the Pilots Mess pub though, sheltered there with a pint waiting for the bus queues to die down - intreged me how it all folded up into one trailer!
Look on the bright side - because you don't need a torch to do it!

Sal

jules48

Post by jules48 »

I am assuming people who moaned about the cost brought tickets months in advance before they knew what was flying and then were disappointed.
I did not go but went to Waddington on numerous ocassions were the cost was £25-30 plus grandstand so can understand why people are complaining about paying £40.00 for a 5 hour display were Waddington used to be 7-8 hours but that is just a sign of the times.
I always took my own lunch and drove a 300 mile round trip from London but just did not fancy Scampton in its first year.
I bet people are quite happy to pay to watch their favourite football,cricket team or go to concerts which last significantly shorter so just find peoples response to the cost of things a bit melodramatic.

snafu

Post by snafu »

My thoughts based on actually going to the show yesterday:

Travel from Scunthorpe - sound, as the A15 was shut to non airshow traffic from Caenby Corner. As we had on base parking, we did have straight access all the way down the A15 to the base itself and were soon parked up. Entry to the show itself was swift with cheery security and RAF personnel doing bag checks etc.

We'd booked the Dambuster enclosure as my 80 year old mum loves her airshows and likes a modicum of comfort during the day and a good supply of tea. This facility was excellent. The food and service was second to none and far better than the Bomber Harris enclosure at the old Waddington show. A big thanks to all the hard working staff and cadets who made it a real treat for us.

I enjoyed the static display and was able to have a chat to the RCAF, F18, pilot Capt Hilary Anderson and then pop into the Aces High tent to get my Dambusters book signed by the legendary Johnny Johnson. A real honour to shake the mans hand.

As for the flying. I enjoyed it. I didn't expect B1's and B2's. The French Alpha Jet, Belgian F16 and the Typhoon were excellent and I really enjoyed the mustang, B17, catalina and the BBMF. The Reds appearence was obviously a big disappointment.

Getting out after the show was a breeze. Straight on to the still closed A15 and a steady, quiet trip back to Scunthorpe.

I haven't commented on elements I have no experience of such as the Park and Ride. Hopefully the show builds on this start and I was pleased to support the show. If we'd all stayed away carping about it, there would be no 2018 show. Well done to all concerned and thanks for giving me a show to go to again in Bomber County. I will be there in 2018 if there is a repeat.

Best memory of the day though was when Johnny Johnson came the into the Dambusters marquee in the afternooon and spontaneous applause broke out all around. The great man looked genuinely surprised.

minnie the moocher

Post by minnie the moocher »

Just back from Scampton
Road signage good, bag check efficiently run, bus from showground well organised. It was ok sitting right up against the barrier separating the garden enclosure from the rest of us. No wonder they were offering upgrades to the enclosure as from where we were sitting I would say slightly over 50% of those seats did not have bums on them. We had a really good view along the flight line, not right at the front I'll grant you but close enough to see everything (that was until some late arrival pillock decided they really needed more than anything else in the whole world to push in front of us and block not only our view but that of others behind us).
Displays were ok - a few no shows but as the weather wasn't that good was really to be expected. Food on site - very expensive but again not unexpected which is why we took a picnic. In the finish picnic blanket was only used as a means of keeping warm as the wind was a wee bit nippy. waterproof clear plastic ponchos in case it rained - don't think they would be selling too many of those at £7 a pop when they are a pound a piece on the high street.
I liked the static display - just wasn't a lot of it compared to what I had been used to at Waddington. Trade stands - quite a few that I had expected to see there weren't which was a bit disappointing. Went to get a ticket for the heritage tour which was taking place after the display had finished which was being announced on the tannoy only to be told that they weren't being done as there was nobody there to do them.
Had the weather been more clement I would have enjoyed it more and perhaps there would have been more people there but not a lot anybody could have done about that. For a first show it was ok - hopefully next year will be better but the ticket price is way too high for what was on offer.

bennysdad

Post by bennysdad »

Assuming that the show next year is more successful in getting display items which will justify the price and given that the organisers have the email addresses of those who bought tickets for the experimental first show what about an offer of discounted tickets for the next show before they go on general sale at their full price?

CJS

Post by CJS »

Why would they need to do that? They have earlybird tickets, so if you enjoyed it and you want to go back next year you'll get one of those.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

minnie the moocher

Post by minnie the moocher »

CJS wrote:Why would they need to do that? They have earlybird tickets, so if you enjoyed it and you want to go back next year you'll get one of those.

from my point of view next year I will be waiting for confirmed appearances before I decide to splash my cash. Although I mostly enjoyed the show I do think the ticket price was very steep for what was there and I am hoping that this years ticket price hasn't just set a precedent to be added to for future years because if that is the case they will price themselves out. I know the weather was a lot less than perfect and that may have put people off but the seated enclosure next to us looked to be a lot less than half full, which was probably why they were offering upgrades on the day. Trade stands were pretty poor if I'm honest, would rather have seen more aviation related than craft stalls or stalls selling plants. One of the very best aspects of the show was that there were plenty of loos and no queues which I guess if the show had been better attended would not have been the case

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

I made the decision to make a trip with a local coach firm to go on the Saturday. Some "interesting weather I might add", can't really complain there.
Because of our fickle weather I thought I would hedge my bets and even went for a second day with another local coach company.

I am one of the apparently few people it seems that will make a mad decision to fork out a lot of money to go to a show, travel long distance and expect anything to happen and accept what I have been entertained by. I would be mad to complain wouldn't I? Can't people ever accept that with any airshow things never go right and sometimes things don't go to plan, and god forbid go disastrously wrong.
Here we go, I can hear many of you telling me what could have or should have been done about the Red Arrows.
I have seen them display with 8 or even 7 aircraft before, and still appreciate the flying skill that goes into the display when things go off kilter. These situations must have an affect on the other pilots during their routine, let alone the whingers on the ground who don't know all the facts and tell us all what should have been.
I'm amazed these people still attend airshows, get real!
My main reasons as an aviation enthusiast, was to see some things that I might never see anywhere else, that's unless I go back to Scampton.
The HHA collection of jets and the Saab Silver Wings flight, the Lansen especially and I can tick off another Su-22 to my list. How would I be able to do that unless I travelled to Poland!!!
I have seen the Swedish jets in flight before and have taken photos back then which I am very happy with, this time I could get up close & personal not just with the jets but the pilots as well. All it takes is politeness, a smile & some intelligent conversation. This was also the case with the RAF pilots who flew in with the Tornados & Typhoon, a great informative tour around the aircraft thanks guys!

I would never complain about Airshow food prices - as I always take my own. I just know what to expect, just come prepared. You can't complain if you succumb to the pangs of a badly made burger for £5.00. There are ways of getting a cheap burger at airshows as my technique always works.

Only three negatives out of the whole show;

1 - The weather but even then, I still made it play to my advantage with the Camera. A wet aircraft with ground reflections always makes for a nice picture.

2 - Some very unfriendly and to be frank, just down right rude airshow spectators. :ninja: I went to stand between two sets of spectators with evidently enough room for myself and them. I was standing between them against the barrier with my 600mm lens. As I say, enough room for everyone to see clearly. I always make sure and look at bystanders and be polite - I never want to make anyone else's experience a bad one at a show. I look down at both parties and lady one side is looking down "all the time" the husband looks fast asleep. This is during the F-16 display. If your interested then at least watch, how can you be so disinterested when something so loud & dynamic is going on in front of you. I look to my other side, he's doing the same. I could sense an atmosphere as there was no expression or friendliness, I actually got the impression they didn't really want to be there. Then the guy on my right asks in a complaining manner, :handbag: why, with a large zoom lens would I need to stand up close to the barrier. I thought for a minute that being a photographer I could explain, but quickly thought better of it as I could see there was no interest.
Incidentally I was only standing there for about 30 minutes. Enough to see two or three particular aircraft that I hadn't seen in the air - the Pembroke (which actually broke on Saturday) was one of them.

There is a point to negative No.2, and I have seen this at other great airshows. Why on earth do people evidently fork out so much and just have a picnic at the edge of the flight line & take no notice of the display, it really is beyond me. I once had an old lady who was so deep into her mills & boon book and started to harrass photographers in front of her to get out of her way because we were spoiling her view!???? :facepalm:

3 - Right, this negative can be fed back to the organisers & I hope they can get round to reading my feedback.
Why on earth were the traffic organisers off base re-directing traffic across fields then onto country lanes to all the way round the north side of the base. This was traffic destined for the Green customer entry point, coach parties as well? We came up the A15 from Lincoln and were re-directed around the outside of the showground - we had to go through Scampton village all the way round until we came back down the A15 south bound then into the lane that took you up to the Green area coach park.
Can anyone tell me what sense there was to this? They weren't doing this Saturday, you could just drive straight up past the base entrance then straight in.

One last thing, lets make it four negatives, and this will go into the feedback questionnaire if it's true. Saturday & Sunday morning the (effective & quick) shuttle bus starts at 07:45am. Right, I bet many people get up early and try and arrive early to take advantage of this, to get on base early.
I hear that there was a bus load of people at 07:45am were let off near the red entrance to find that no-one had arrived to set up the check in until 09:00am. Is that true? :shock:

Anyway, as for next year that would definitely be down to what's due to display and what's in the static. Simples! :rock:

Cheerybye & all the best!

P.S Can anyone tell me why the crash barrier went up Sunday afternoon?
Martin