Scampton Airshow 2018

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
MiG_Eater

Re: Scampton Airshow 2018

Post by MiG_Eater »

BossMann, it may feel like you're flogging a dead horse (and maybe you are) but your enthusiasm is admirable and I really hope you get somewhere with this.

This country desperately needs another airshow and Scampton should have been it!

Keep on keeping on mate. :clap:

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

MiG_Eater wrote:BossMann, it may feel like you're flogging a dead horse (and maybe you are) but your enthusiasm is admirable and I really hope you get somewhere with this.

This country desperately needs another airshow and Scampton should have been it!

Keep on keeping on mate. :clap:

Haha cheers for your support mate! Much appreciated!

I am hoping that RIAT Air Ops/ anyone from DBH is reading this and feeds it back to the RAFCTE's 'higher powers' that we still do want an airshow at RAF Scampton and they shouldn't let all the hard work they did with it go to waste - its only the flying display that needed sorting after all.

But the message is clear - if it comes back we want a Waddington International Airshow/ RIAT flying display, not a seaside one and this should be reflected in the engagement with the foreign air arms prior to the event ( from the UKAR's interview with Andy Armstrong/ Tom they seemed to suggest that they were clear with the foreign air arms that Scampton wasn't a full-on military airshow/ brother of RIAT, but a family funday so its hardly surprising that they didn't get many foreign display allocations ).

Regarding the entry price I would happily pay £39 for a 7 hour Waddington/ RIAT style flying display. ( RIAT is £55 now )

From the RAFCTEs point of view it might also work in their favour to have two shows one in July and one in September as not everything can come to Fairford, which could perhaps come to Scampton instead. For example the Polish Air Force allocated their F16 demo to Fairford this year and could have sent their Mig 29/ Su 22 to Scampton? The Danish Air Force sent their static F16 to Fairford but perhaps could have sent their F16 demo to Scampton and so on... Plus some display teams will come and do a 'tour' of the major displays in late August/ September outside of RIAT time e.g. Saudi Hawks/ Al Fursan over the past few years and the Pakistani Air Force JF17 thunder this year, they could include RAF Scampton in their tour.

Would we complain if there was a Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in July and then an International Air Tattoo at RAF Scampton in September??? Both with different themes - 70th Anniversary of NATO & 55th Anniversary of RAF Red Arrows, but both with incredible military oriented flying displays.

I think it would be great

Surely there is room for another major military airshow in the UK in September away from both Fairford and Yeovilton in July - RAF Scampton should be it.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

BossMann wrote:Surely there is room for another major military airshow in the UK in September away from both Fairford and Yeovilton in July...

Agreed. After RIAT, other than maybe a good-looking-Duxford show, there's a bit of a deflation. August traditionally tends to be the more seaside-type-months, but the circuit is crying out for a "big" airshow at the end of August, start of September. Especially after the loss of Leuchars. And also especially given the significance of the date.

I appreciate what Andy Armstrong said about September weather, but at the same time, I've been to plenty of Cosford airshows in June which had a crap offering, Duxford spring airshows in May with crappy weather, hell, even the scorcher we had at RIAT on the weekend was very much a "man alive, how long has it been since we've had weather like this?!". And even then the weather put paid to one of the most anticipated spectacles planned. Plenty, plenty, of RIATs have been pretty severely impacted by the weather. Early September airshows have always had their similar fair balance of good vs bad weather as any other month. Just a shame it happened on the very first Scampton Airshow.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Similarly I've been to September shows with blindingly good weather.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Agreed, I've been to more Southport shows with good weather than bad, and they're usually in September.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

I'm glad that there is still an appetite on UKAR for a show to return to RAF Scampton in September - 'International Air Tattoo 2019', will certainly help to get over the post RIAT blues and give us another major military airshow to look forward to!

If RAFCTE do decide to run the 2019 RAF Scampton Airshow then it will be great. But if they decide that they can't should it mean the end of the show that has a history going back to Waddington and Finingley?

If RAFCTE do decide that they don't have the time or resources to do it in 2019 because they want to concentrate on RIAT then will the RAF put the RAF Scampton Airshow out to tender for potential teams that would like to do it on their behalf? AHA Events ( Yeovilton Air Day )/ R5 Displays/ RAF Cosford guys come to mind/ even the Sanicole guys could get in on the act........ Can you imagine the Yeoviton Air Day team organising a show for the RAF at Scampton?? Could be quite good - they could send their Wildcat role demo with pyros / Commando assault to Scampton as added bonus!

After all it was RAFCTE who decided not to run the RAF Scampton Airshow in 2018, not the RAF as from the UKAR interview:

"The decision about the 2018 show was ours (RAFCTE), and ours alone. When we communicated it, they ( the RAF ) were as disappointed as we were, and everyone else. "

Now that RIAT is over, hoping for some news from RAFCTE regarding the RAF Scampton Airshow soon..

kinglear27

Post by kinglear27 »

I appreciate running two airshows is very hard work for DBH, but I would love to see a return of Scampton Airshow in 2019. I would certainly try and make the date! A return of the Swedish Air Force Historic Flight, but in a flying capacity, would certainly make it a 2019 season highlight!

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I'm pleased to see there's clearly an appetite for the show, but I just can't believe that it's going to return. If you can't host an airshow at Scampton during the RAF's centenary - when *can* you do it?

By 2019, the show will have lost the considerable momentum it gained in 2017. Call my cynical, but I can't see that the postponement was anything other than a veiled, indefinite, cancellation.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Perhaps - but then no one ever thought we'd see a return of a Lincolnshire airshow at all. Look at how emphatic so many would be that there wouldn't be a Scampton show at all, and look how hilariously wrong they turned out to be.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

That's totally fair. I hope i'm wrong!

vbombers2

Post by vbombers2 »

According to the Times, sounds like Scampton's being sold off.

XX752

Post by XX752 »

vbombers2 wrote:According to the Times, sounds like Scampton's being sold off.

To close by '2022' apparently - the real reason why the airshow was pulled is maybe becoming clearer. Does not look good establishing a successful airshow on a base that is going to close.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

XX752 wrote:
vbombers2 wrote:According to the Times, sounds like Scampton's being sold off.

To close by '2022' apparently - the real reason why the airshow was pulled is maybe becoming clearer. Does not look good establishing a successful airshow on a base that is going to close.

Thats awful

But the base did need some TLC at last years show... Maybe RAF Wittering/ ex RAF Cottesmore (home of RIAT 2000/ 2001) would have been better locations for the new show??

Anyway can't help feeling that the RAF displays that are destined for Duxford in September were destined for Scampton before it got cancelled, add in some foreign fast jet displays and teams and it would have been a great show!

"Red Arrows - Royal Air Force

Typhoon FGR4 - Royal Air Force

Voyager KC Mk.2, Typhoon FGR4's- Royal Air Force (Flypast)

Tornado GR4, F-35 Lightning II, Avro Lancaster, PA474- Royal Air Force (617 Squadron Flypast)

Atlas A400M, Royal Air Force (Flypast)

Tutor T1, Royal Air Force

Puma HC2, Royal Air Force "

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Scampton Airshow 2019 plunged into doubt following director's resignation - from Lincolshire live

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news ... bt-1815340

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

SilentFlight

Post by SilentFlight »

BossMann wrote:Scampton Airshow 2019 plunged into doubt following director's resignation - from Lincolshire live

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news ... bt-1815340

All the staff left sometime ago, its not a recent move.

stealth117

Post by stealth117 »

Could it return to Waddington? Or is that never going to happen, really miss going to waddo show and camping from Thursday until Monday of the show.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Can't see it ever returning to Waddo - in fact with Scampton going, Lincolnshire is a bit of a write off.

Could Leeming handle a show? Next to a major transport artery, plenty of pan space for static and flying aircraft, potential for a northerly facing crowd line with displays over the HAS sites (using the runway to the left of the crowd to arrivals and departures prior to display)... or using the runway itself as a West/East display line depending where you put the crowd?

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

No chance what so ever for Leeming to hold a show, it's to close to the A1 M.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Depends on where you put the display line, if it was so the display was over the HAS, the A1 wouldn’t come in to play. The runway could still be used for arrivals and departures.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

boff180 wrote:Depends on where you put the display line, if it was so the display was over the HAS, the A1 wouldn’t come in to play. The runway could still be used for arrivals and departures.

Is RAF Leeming a possibility?

Does anyone have any airfield layout maps of the old RAF Leeming Air Days?? I know that they have had the Russian Test Pilots Su27 team in the past as they were shared with Biggin Hill that year and the Red Arrows

Anyway, if the rumours of the Reds moving to RAF Wittering are true then I hope the air show may also move to RAF Wittering - lets face it, there aren't many RAF bases left to choose from that could host an airshow and the A1 runs past RAF Wittering just like the M11 runs past Duxford so shouldn't be a huge problem.

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

R.I.P Scampers.
Great while it lasted.
4 years at CFS and Rects.
Per Ardua
Canon systems

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

BossMann wrote:the A1 runs past RAF Wittering just like the M11 runs past Duxford so shouldn't be a huge problem.

I genuinely feel that where airshows are concerned many of those who make decisions find a problem for every solution. Any excuse *not* to do it, and it's canned.

f-4

Post by f-4 »

Very few of the active airfields left have a suitable benign area over which display rehearsals can be achieved. Leeming certainly doesn't meet the criteria with the village to the north and the A1 to the west. Ironically the best alternative for the Reds would have been Linton-on-Ouse.

Wittering has enough space north of the runway to accommodate the Reds and the airspace over Cottesmore could be used with crash rescue units in place. However the main reason for the move away from Cranwell in 2000 was the clash of movements with the resident aircraft, in particular the Tutors which don't stray too far from home.

Valley is a non-starter imho as the personnel live in Lincolnshire and a move to somewhere reasonably commutable will be a factor, not to mention the clash with MFTS training requirements in Wales.

The best place for the Reds is Scampton, which with some investment from a range of national bodies could become a world-class aviation heritage site. Invest in the infrastructure, move in the BBMF, create a living museum/visitor centre and invite more aviation-minded companies such as HHA. The sale of the site for housing is a short-term short-sighted view by MoD accountants who know the cost of everything but the value of nothing. The sale probably won't even pay for a single F-35.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Government organisations? Short term thinking? Whatever next...