For any UK event that does not have its own forum
r6pilot

Re: East Fortune Airshow 2018

Post by r6pilot »

Hi big Eric the jet provost & Harvard are in tonight cheers

drumm78

Post by drumm78 »

Weathers looking pretty much like last year.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Certainly a better forecast than last year, if a bit showery looking. Fingers crossed for a good show.

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

Autogyro and Pembroke cancelled due en-route weather.
vA
stevelevien.com

r6pilot

Post by r6pilot »

Hi guys I just tried on motorcycle to get down there rain to heavy for me so turned back those that are going have a good show

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

We reckon there is a band of rain to come through between 11:30-13:00, looks clear after that.

Regrettably BBMF have cancelled, wind gusting 29kt at Coningsby.
vA
stevelevien.com

drumm78

Post by drumm78 »

Been here from 10:00.its know 12:30.and not a single display in sight.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Reds are running eight minutes late, due here now 1258 to open the show. Looks like they might catch a decent break in the weather.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

After last year it was a case of 'once bitten twice shy' for me. I backed off getting a ticket until I saw a weather forecast for today, and it got to the stage that I woke up this morning to 'Holywood special effects' levels of heavy rainfall, with bands of heavy rain straddling the country.

From what I saw on Facebook, the BBMF and Pembroke cancelled early on, nothing had flown by 12:30, and the Reds curtailed their display. Still, it looks like the Huey got up and the Typhoon made an appearance! Better than last year,but I was staring down the best part of £95 to take four of us along.

Next year!

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Woke this morning to that same weather and finally decided not to go. Fortunately had a family issue to take care of so felt a little better. Saw Jet Provost arrive back at Edinburgh. Oh well off to Ayr in September so got that to look forward to.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Can you confirm the ID of the Jet Provost please?

drumm78

Post by drumm78 »

Obviously Sunderland takes priority.It was good once it started.But for me I'm sticking to ayr.its a shame visiting this place and you see the sorry state the outside aircraft are in.

vandal

Post by vandal »

The Reds did run late, but at least they came. Red 10 was saying the weather between EF and Newcastle was rather hostile, so up until quite late on there was still the posibillity they would not be able to get through. The display was curtailed early because of rain from the East. Not their fault.

There was rather large gaps in the display, which looked odd because from around 3pm, we were blessed with blazing sunshine. Mig 15, JP, Bronco, Loach & Huey,Texan, P51 all displayed. Show finished with Typhoon performing in clear skies. :clap:

Was happy enough to see any flying after last years wash out.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Unknown74 wrote:Can you confirm the ID of the Jet Provost please?

XW324

RAF 100 logo on the tail.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Cheers many thanx. Much appreciated, saw it returning to Edinburgh. Just a shame more East Fortune participants don’t use Edinburgh.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Certainly better than last year! A number of cancellations (think I counted 8 from the 20 participants listed on the information kiosk) and no doubt not having them based at Edinburgh makes a difference as weather between Turnhouse and East Fortune was generally good.

The Arrows tried their best and if they had been able to hold for 10 minutes might have been able to do a full show (albeit a flat one).

The skies cleared and those that flew made the most of it with some impressive flying. One thing struck us - no local (ie Archerfield) participation, first time for a long time?

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

The event shares many assets with Sunderland so Newcastle is the sensible location for those.

The autogyro cancelled Friday as the pilot was worried about getting home.
With the Pembroke it was considered inadvisable even to open the hangar doors at St Athan because of winds.
BBMF scrubbed all activity for the weekend because of the wind at Coningsby.
Vampire Blue taxied at Newcastle and were due to perform with the MiG15 but there was an unconnected incident at Newcastle which closed the runway for 15 mins. They taxied back to the ramp but would have needed refuelling. This would have made them late for their Sunderland slot.
It then became too windy for the Blenheim and Swordfish to depart Newcastle.
As already noted, RAFAT commenced their display but had to curtail it because of heavy showers approaching from the south.

We were grateful for the pilots that made it and the members of the public who attended. It was a good crowd and there many many nice comments.

My comments only, I do not represent the Organisers.
vA
stevelevien.com

drumm78

Post by drumm78 »

Does anyone know what altitude the typhoon reaches on his final vertical climb?I was watching him until he disappeared and it was pure blue sky. Unbelievable

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

drumm78 wrote:Does anyone know what altitude the typhoon reaches on his final vertical climb?I was watching him until he disappeared and it was pure blue sky. Unbelievable

Nothing official but by my very rough reckoning (rate of climb x duration) it comes out at around 4,000 metres or 13,000 feet. According to the team's blurb they can go to 30,000 feet ATC permitting.

drumm78

Post by drumm78 »

Thanks for replying.Thats incredible.