East Kirkby Air Show 2018

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
nx611_1945

East Kirkby Air Show 2018

Post by nx611_1945 »

We are SO looking forward to the air show this year, it should be the first time Mosquito NF2 HJ711 comes out complete in public at EK and it will be the first time we all see the only Lancaster and Mosquito pairing in Europe. Join us in this amazing story and buy your tickets here https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/store/e ... r-show.htm #unique #makinghistory #merlinpower

Take a look at the line-up for the air show this year! https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/about/e ... t-2018.htm

G for George

Re: East Kirkby Air Show 2018

Post by G for George »

Had a lovely weekend. Atmosphere at East Kirkby great as usual. The Fury was awesome. Went to Skeg Vegas for the first time in my life after, and stayed in a b&b. Different, but enjoyable!

sdad

Post by sdad »

A bit of feedback (arriving at 11am from Boston):
Brilliant - no traffic on the road.
Brilliant - drove straight in and parked
Bit weird - in the middle of the parking field, I was driving straight at another stream of traffic coming from the front entrance. Marshall went a bit funny when he apparently told me to stop while the opposing car parked but I didn't notice because I was looking where I was going. Surely, the two streams should have been directed to different areas.
Very annoying - having parked so easily, I had to join a long queue for bag search which took nearly twenty minutes. Surely, to have it single-width in the "funnel" was a bit stupid. If it was brought out to the edge of the car park, it could be four or five lanes wide. There were plenty of staff hanging around who could have done this.
Big let-down - what was to have been a highlight for me - I found that the gantry (to look in Lanc cockpit) had been "cancelled".
Jolly nice to see - several Bomber Command aircrew signing autographs.
Slow but sure - the flying display.
Nice finale - Mosquito and Lancaster "photo-opp" (and then driving straight out).

nx611_1945

Post by nx611_1945 »

sdad,
Thank you for your feedback, we're very grateful. I'll respond as below-

Brilliant - no traffic on the road. Great,
Glad the southern route has worked!

Brilliant - drove straight in and parkedGreat!
Bit weird - in the middle of the parking field, I was driving straight at another stream of traffic coming from the front entrance. Marshall went a bit funny when he apparently told me to stop while the opposing car parked but I didn't notice because I was looking where I was going. Surely, the two streams should have been directed to different areas. This must have been the point at which the main car park was full so the Northern taffic was now using the cross flow to use the Southern car park. We are looking at changing the way we set out the car park for this very reason
Very annoying - having parked so easily, I had to join a long queue for bag search which took nearly twenty minutes. Surely, to have it single-width in the "funnel" was a bit stupid. If it was brought out to the edge of the car park, it could be four or five lanes wide. There were plenty of staff hanging around who could have done this. we have to use SIA accredited personnel for the bag search etc so its sadly not possible to have all marshals checking bags. We'll look at taking on more SIA marshals in the future. What is positive is that the show is safer for the bag searches considering what we confiscated
Big let-down - what was to have been a highlight for me - I found that the gantry (to look in Lanc cockpit) had been "cancelled". The plan was to use the gantry but it sadly experienced a fault on the check in the morning so it was deemed not safe enough to use. We are looking at continuing this service with a new piece of equipment
Jolly nice to see - several Bomber Command aircrew signing autographs.
Slow but sure - the flying display.Thats a shame, we thought we had a nice balanced show this year with warbirds, barn storming and modern aerobatic. The site doesnt lend itself to modern jets.
Can yoy recommend and other displays for us to consider?

Nice finale - Mosquito and Lancaster "photo-opp" (and then driving straight out).Great, hoepfully she'll be taxying for the show next year.
We hopr to be able to provide a different aicraft each year for a photoshoot session at the end of the show

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

If it's your plan to do the photo ops going forward (and a great idea it is too), would it be possible to have the aircraft on the grass? I only ask as a lot of my pictures either had the crowd in or the hi-viz brigade. A nice uncluttered background would be brilliant.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

sdad

Post by sdad »

Agreed about the two planes at the end. On the grass with a clear background would have been better but there were still visitors taking off. I found that the Mosquito is not very photogenic from the front anyway - just a lot of underside. The only way that might not infringe on movements would be to have them right up the other end, where the Dakota and Mustang had been.

Slow but sure is OK and no other particular recommendations. However, have you thought about a display team or helicopters? I must have missed some due to celeb chasing but don't remember BBMF either.

One last point about arrival - the penultimate yellow sign to leave the road at Hagnaby Lock actually pointed up the previous lane (which I briefly took). At that point, it should be an "ahead, then 90 deg left" arrow, meaning next exit, not this one.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Stupid question, but is it possible to pose the lanc in a position to look like its ready for a sortie, but have the mossie 'taking off' in frame with the tail raised off the ground with a prop at all?

would give great pics and the more fastideous amongst us could photoshop the prop out and even photoshop propellor blur?

Also be a great set piece duo for a night shoot too.

just a thought
Got to love Russianhardware